Friday, May 30, 2014

Five on Friday: Summer Pin-spiration Board, Really Yummy Food, and Sippy Hatred

THE GOOD LIFE BLOG
Linking up with the good life blog, Carolina Charm, A. Liz Adventures, and Hello! Happiness today to share this week's five!
 
Summer Dessert and Drinks Party!
I am wanting to throw a little 'Summer Dessert and Drinks' party next month. Nothing like some sweet treats, cold drinks, a few games, and friends to kick off the summer! But, I'm definitely capable of going way overboard so I'm limiting myself to just a few easy simple things. Pinterest is so handy when you need some fun party ideas! Click the image to go to the Pinterest board where all these goodies and more can be found.
 
I was wanting to pull out the crayons again with Aria this week, when low and behold one of my good blog friend's Brenda (from Chatting Over Chocolate) posted a ton of FREE Disney printables! It was fate, so I grabbed this print of Belle and we got our coloring on again. I drew the story of Beauty and the Beast around the white edges, but the artistry was just too much to photograph...I didn't want to overwhelm anybody with it's magnificence. It is right next to the Mickey and Minnie we did a couple weeks ago on the refrigerator now too.
 
The food being eaten around here lately has been top notch. My cooking desire comes and goes, but it has been at a high this past week or so. I wanted to share the recipes so you could go make them in your kitchen ASAP!
 
[ Cheddar Ranch Chicken Burgers / Slow Cooker Herbed Balsamic Pork Roast with Roast Veggies / Garlicky Crust Pizza / Chicken Taco Chili / Summer Vegetable, Sausage and Potato Skillet / the Brownie Sundae is self explanatory and delicious ]
 
And, because I could not find whatever website I first found baked corn on the cob on and several people asked how I did it....Remove husks, slather with butter and any seasonings, roll up in tin foil, place on a cookie sheet, and bake 35 minutes in the oven at 425 F. Keep the edge of the foil up so the butter doesn't ooze out during the baking. Easy peazy, and the best corn ever.
 
Sippy cups were invented to make mothers go insane. For the love of God why don't any of the ones I own work. The Momma is the best of the losers, but since Aria bit the tip off the straw it leaks. The rest make me want to shoot them. The blue Munchkin dog sippy comes back up the straw. The pink Target cat sippy leaks out of the ears, and the straw, and the lid (but they like to alternate so you never know which way it will attack). The zo-li bot bursts out liquid every time you flip the lid, which Aria finds hilarious, and she bit the tip off this straw too so it leaks, and 50% of the time it just pours out from the lid no matter how tightly I twist it on. The Nuby clik it oozes up the straw (even when friggin 'locked') and Aria can push in the stupid lid so it flows out.
 
And, it is funny because right when we got each of these I was like oh my gosh these rock and are perfect. Then a few weeks later they stop working. It is like they expired. I usually end up trailing behind Aria with a paper towel while she drips milk all over the floor, or when they are sitting on the table they leave a pool of water behind.
 
We can build rockets and mechanical limbs, but we can't design a sippy that actually works?!
 
I've been teaching Aria to 'cheese' for me when I take pictures, so now when I just get out my camera I get this! I couldn't love it anymore. That face, she kills me.
 
Have a spectacular weekend! Don't let the sippies piss you off too much (oh, wait...is that just me?).
 
post signature

23 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a Summer Drinks & Dessert soiree (though I totally have to hold myself back on Pinterest-overload too when it comes to event planning). Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by from the link up....I love your party inspiration board and yes sippy cups are from the devil! My biggest pain was trying to clean them. But disney coloring pages make all things better, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally laughing my butt off! We had the same issues! HATED IT!! We ended up going to cups that had just straws and following Lia around to wipe up.
    The only sippy type cups we liked were the Munchkin insulated ones. Good Luck
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, your sippy rant made me laugh out loud! It is SO true! They always seem great for a few week sand then bam, it's spillsville! If you ever find one that doesn't leak, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no, it is not just you with the sippies! We have a cupboard full of ones that we tried and did not like (my older son was particular) or that leaked in some way. Thankfully boy #1 is done with them and #2 we will just have to endure it all over again! And yes, it does look like you all are eating very well lately! Those pictures are making me hungry! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely going to have to check that pinterest board out. And seriously, every single one of those recipes looks SO delicious!!! I'm always looking for new recipes- you definitely just helped a sister out. ;)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just use the take n toss el cheapo cups. Easy peasy.

    I'm so impressed she actually does a cheese face!! Abigail just shouts cheese but looks the other way and doesn't smile. Blerg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. let me tell you about the "wow cup" . its the only cup i trust in my purse. for reals. lex even sleeps with it (because she's weird) and it has never leaked. look into it. you won't be sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only cup that doesn't leak for us are the baby camel baks! & I totally need one of those popsicle/wine drinks like this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those pictures definitely look like the perfect summer party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You have a really cute and active blog here. Can't wait to try that corn! Thanks for sharing. Yummm. Also, I love love love Nuk sippies. No straws. No soft tip. Just a plastic plug. They rock, trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That face!!! OMG. Her cheese face is to die for! SO CUTE!
    We've been using these Nuby sippy cups and they definitely aren't spill proof like they say, but they have been the best ones that we've found. http://www.diapers.com/p/nuby-no-spill-super-spout-cup-w-handles-boy-349187
    Also, your summer inspiration board has me wanting to throw a party now too! If I wasn't a 6 hour plane ride away, I might just crash your party! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We use the Bubba cups. They are fabulous! The leak when the straw is open but other than that it's perfect! Here is a link to what we use with the exception that we use the plastic ones that are less than $4 at Walmart. I can't find them on WalMart's site to share with you. http://www.amazon.com/bubba-sport-bottle-active-ocean/dp/B0087JLB8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401467094&sr=8-2&keywords=8+oz+bubba+cup

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, all of that food looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, absolutely adore Aria's cheese smile. Second, I'm right there with you on sippy cups. I feel like I'm buying them every time I'm at the store in search of one that is fabulous. Avery's favorite are my Walmart Alladin mason jars! And last, all of that food and summer stuff looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to check out that board!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just made me want brownies and ice cream AGAIN! Stop it!! Just kidding but wow that food all looks good! Ok so I don't think I've used any of those sippy cups. My all time favorites our the Tommee Tippee straw cups. Ours are starting to leak now but Callie's been using those since she was 9months old! My other non leak favs are the playtex insulated ones and the Nalgene ones. Although the Nalgene one is more of a water bottle than a sippy/straw cup - she has to tip it up. I've tried a few others too. Message me if you want to chat sippy cups -- I have an obsession and have way too many! OH and I saw those printable and need to download some - especially now that I know princess Bell is one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SHe is a doll such a cute cheese. :) We have used all the ones you have there and a few others. Nuby have always been my go to and our favorite but I also like the take and toss for trips out (been known to forget them) and playtex insulated which we have had good luck with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sippy cups are a nightmare!! It's impossible to find a leak free sippy cup. If you ever find the perfect one please do share! Look at that priceless smile!! She's adorable!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. All that good made me really hungry. And the baked corn is something we have to try. Sippy cups are the bane of my existence. They make zero sense how little they work! Gah! I just get the disposable ones from the grocery store and never dispose. Might as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! That cheese grin is perfection. Lmao @ your sippy cup tangent!!! I threw all of our's away because I just couldn't handle the amount of frustration any longer. I flip back and forth with being on a cooking roll and then just not having the desire at all. I'm gonna have to try some of those recipes out. Especially the chicken sandwich!!! Chicken can get so boring! Beautiful picture! ;) That summer themed party sounds amazing!!!! Maybe I'll borrow some of your pins for a summer party play date!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We went through just about every sippy (just like we went through every type of bottle before that) for my son before we found one we liked. We ended up liking the Tommee Tippees spout cup (no straw) the best. We're still using them (he's 2) and they never fail us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coming from Iowa (where the number of corn fields easily out numbers the number of people) I've never tried making corn that way. Definitely going to give your method a go this summer.
    Oh my gosh, we cannot find a stupid sippy cup that works well either. I basically hate them all, and cleaning them is a whole different story (the more little pieces I have to take a part and clean, the less likely it's going to actually get really clean - gross).

    ReplyDelete
  23. YAY! I'm so glad that my free Disney printables post came in handy! LOVE the snapshot of Aria with her picture!! (She is SO CUTE!!!!) Have fun putting your Summer party together!! (I soooo wish I lived near enough to be on that invitation list! ;)) I am leaving this post drooling btw :) lol! Thanks for sharing all the yummy meal inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.