Monday, February 24, 2014

Weekend Highlights - Fireworks, Wet Toes, and Ducks

This weekend was one of the best I've had in a while. I really couldn't put my finger on exactly why, but it felt relaxing. Most weekends we try to jam in as much as we can while dad is around. The thing is we still did our go-go routine this time. So, I don't know why it felt so easy going but I'll take it.

On Saturday Chris and I left Aria with her great grandma so that we could have a baby free evening at Disney. We did a belated Valentine's dinner at Disney's Polynesian Resort's Kona Cafe.
We started with sushi and sashimi. I got the vegetarian roll while Chris got three types of sashimi. Both were delicious. And, for dinner I got sticky wings and pot stickers while Chris got grilled curried-crusted lamb chops. The sticky wings were awesome but the pot stickers were friggin amazing. Chris said his lamb tied for first with the lamb they use to serve at the District Chophouse in DC. All around yummy in the tummy.
After stuffing ourselves silly, we walked down to the beach to watch the fireworks across the water at Magic Kingdom. We sat in the sand that turned out to be damp, so our tushes ended up getting wet - nothing like an hour and a half car ride home with soggy underwear.
When the first firework went off all of a sudden the whole beach of people realized that the sky was really rather cloudy. You couldn't actually see the firework, but it lit up the clouds beautifully. The clouds either shifted or the fireworks started going off from a different location because we could see the bottom half of the fireworks after the first minute. But, the explosion of colours that reflected off the water and clouds were even better than a clear sky.

On Sunday we went out for a pajama breakfast at Bob Evan's. Technically only Aria was in her pajamas.
Then we spent the rest of the morning at Aria's Godfather Kiel's house. She ran around the yard and got puppy love, took a breather inside to cool off with the rest of her breakfast smoothie, and then back out for bunny snuggles and pool toe dipping. Delilah got in on the pool fun, but Obi wasn't falling for it. Aria wore herself plumb out so we went home for a nap.
After Aria's nap we went to the pond with a sippy of milk and a bag full of bread to feed the ducks, ibis, storks, and crazy seagulls (mine, mine, mine).
And, we ended our weekend with grocery shopping and soup (and laundry). I, for one, vote for a repeat next weekend!


Linking up with:


wh
facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

19 comments:

  1. Your date night sounds heavenly! I love the Kona Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time having somebody else put Aria to sleep, so it was part 'omg I cant leave the baby' and part 'freeeedom'. Also first time at Kona Cafe, it was so so good. We've done Ohana, but I'm not that big of a meat fan. Kona Cafe was better! Other than the wet bum it was lovely! I want to try Kona Cafe in the morning for the much talked-of Tonga toast.

      Delete
  2. date night, fireworks, pool time, brunch?! BEST WEEKEND EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how we did so much and yet it felt so relaxing. Definitely best weekend ever material!

      Delete
  3. so much fun and cuteness in one weekend/post!! you are seriously making me re-think the warm-weather state thing...I pretty much have snow, cold, and ice to report on...none of this fun stuff! :) yay for date night--you guys are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you need is a Jan/Feb vacation home in FL. The weather is more often than not downright lovely. Cool breeze, warm sun. As soon as summer hits though it is pretty much 9 months of ick. Not so much fun. Let me know when you purchase a fabulous 'late winter' home down here, we'll take the ladies to Disney =)

      Delete
  4. Definitely the BEST weekend! The firework show sounds like it was pretty great despite the clouds! I wonder how Mia would react to fireworks now that she's old enough to be aware of them!
    And I'm probably the weirdest person ever, but I don't like sushi... I know!! But that dinner still sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that with Aria the whole time watching the fireworks. I'm torn between bedtimes and fireworks when we take Aria to Disney in May. The last time I kept her up past her bedtime was a disaster. But, also half a year ago...I'm still scarred though. We'll probably just go with it and hope for the best!
      The only sushi I like is vegetarian. Chris' made me a little gaggy...the smell was so unappealing, I do not understand how people enjoy raw fish. Bleck. But, cucumber and carrot I can totally handle, plus soy sauce is my favourite.

      Delete
  5. So much wonderfulness in this post!! And that puppy is adorable!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't really recap weekends, they end up getting mentioned here and there so good enough for me. But, this one was too fun not to share! I'd be just fine doing a variation every weekend. =) And, the puppy is so cute - love petting on him, but it gave my husband the puppy itch I think. We've got two dogs I think we are set for now haha. He'll have to get his fix at our friend's.

      Delete
  6. I'm so jealous of your Disney adventures!! I LOVE that place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd vote for a repeat weekend for you guys too! Sounds like a great weekend! I love Disney and the fireworks ♥ That is awesome that you guys got some time away from Aria and just have a date night. Soo jealous right now! We haven't gone on a date away from Maylee yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We get out and do movie nights almost anytime we want, sometimes weekly...depending on when fun things come out. But that is always after Aria goes to bed. This was our first actual leave the awake baby with somebody date night - it hit the spot. I was a little nervous leaving Aria, worried I guess is more accurate that she would be a handful and that I wasn't there to put her to bed. It went perfectly though, nothing to be worried about! Phew =) Hopefully you'll get the opportunity for a Maylee free date night soon too.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It was, it totally was needed! We ate as slowly as we wanted to and I didn't have to feed anybody else, ahh the simple pleasures =)

      Delete
  9. OH my potstickers and sushi sign me up right there!!! Looks like such a fun weekend! Love breakfast in PJs :)
    ps that top you wore to Disney? I totally just bought it right before the move! Those PJs Aria is wearing? Callie is totally in them tonight! Twins! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my mouth waters every time I think about the pot stickers. I think it was the sauce that really sent them over the edge of yum!
      Ohmygosh, that is too funny of a coincidence! The top is one of my faves, and I'm glad I wore long sleeves because I had a chill I could not shake. Chris was naturally hot, so we had a battle of AC vs heat in the car on the trip home haha. We had to alternate. I hadn't pulled the cupcake pjs out in a while but when I did I realized they would have been perfect for Vday. Aria didn't have any Vday jammies, I couldn't find any..turns out I had a pair and didn't even know it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.