Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blog Every Day In May :: Advice

Today's topic: A piece of advice you have for others.

My advice - go to bed early. But, it is very situation specific advice. Go to bed early...when you have a couple month old sleeping through the night consistently baby. Babies get up early and take 97% of your focus and energy during the day. That last 3% is used for the making of the coffee. So, when after a long tiring fantastic day your little one is asleep at 8, you should be in bed in the not too distant future. By all means take a shower and finish washing the dishes and start your load of cloth diapers, but after the essentials go to bed. Maybe when you get there read a few chapters of your book or watch half an hour of a movie or cuddle and talk to your equally tired husband. Then turn out the lights, close your book, and drift off to sleep so you can recharge your battery and do it all again the next day.

I am the type of person that does not fair well on 6 hours or less of sleep. I make an effort to be closing my eyes by 10, and it is even better if I'm doing it closer to 9. That way when 7 rolls around, I can pop out of bed like one of those annoying morning people. On the rare occasion, I'll stay up later. Maybe to get a little more time with the hubs when he has off work or to finish a blog post for the following day. But, it always makes the next day harder. I use to be queen of the nap, but I have yet to master it with Turtle. It could have something to do with her taking 15 minute naps, and 15 minutes gives me just enough time to almost fall asleep. So, for me napping doesn't cut it. Going to bed early enough to really get a full night of sleep works best.

So, for me I prioritize sleep. It gets me through the day. If you only need 6 hours of sleep (what is wrong with you...) then prioritize whatever it is that will get you through the day. A nice meal at the end of the day or working out or watching 4 hours of recorded television, etc. But, whatever your ideal amount of sleep happens to be...get that much every night. It is hard to enjoy the moments when you are a sleepy mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.