Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Taste: The cake batter flavor is strong. The cookie is soft and chewy, and stays that way. Adding white chocolate takes it over the top, and the sprinkles make me happy.
Amount: I ended up with 3 dozen and 3.
Time: 20 minutes to make the dough, 1 hour + to chill the dough, 40-50 minutes to bake the cookies.
Source: Sally's Baking Addiction

I have a weakness for all things cake batter. In fact, I celebrated the confirmation of my pregnancy with a bowl of cake batter ice cream and since I ended up suffering from an ice cream aversion the rest of my pregnancy, it is a good thing I got my fix in before it was too late. I know that I am not alone in my enthusiasm for this delightful flavor, given the number of recipes devoted to it. This, however, is the first cake batter recipe I have tried, even though I have plenty saved in my favourites. These cake batter truffles look particularly alluring and are definitely next on my cake batter list. I should warn you (and myself...sternly) that these cookies are addictive, I've already had 5 for lunch. They call to me whenever I pass them on the kitchen table, beckoning me with their bright rainbow slivers and hidden white chocolate chunks - resistance is quite obviously futile. However, sending them out of the house to be enjoyable and enticing elsewhere works wonders, which you might want to keep in mind if you make them yourself.

So, the basic plan of action...

Mix the dry.
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream the wet.
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Add the dry to the wet and mix.
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fold in the decorations.
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chill. Preheat. Roll.
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bake. Cool. Eat!
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup yellow boxed cake mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate)
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks or chips (I happened to have a bar of white baking chocolate so I rough chopped it, but chips would work as well)
  • 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla, beating until combined. Stir in the flour mixture slowly until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and sprinkles.

Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more (up to 4 days).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scoop out a 1 1/2-inch ball of dough and shape into towers, as pictured above - taller than wider, a trick to keeping the cookies from thinning too much. If the dough gets too warm, pop it back in the refrigerator between batches. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown. Allow them to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Putting this on my recipes I want to make list. I know I'm commenting on a long ago post, but I've decided I'm going to read back on blogs. I'm like thoroughly interested. Is that weird? If so...I'm ok with being weird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.