Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

Taste: Perfectly decadently cake batter-y!
Amount: 1 milkshake.
Time: 3 minutes.
Source: Inspired by The Novice Chef.

So, I know I said that I was going to make up a batch of cake batter truffles next, but apparently I lied. My apologies. Cake batter milkshakes were second on my list though, I swear!

The hubs went into the liquor store (for a bottle of beer with which to make chili) and came out with two bottles of flavoured vodka. Two bottles of cookie dough flavoured Pinnacle vodka to be precise. When I found out I promptly sent him back to the liquor store to exchange one of those cookie dough vodkas for a cake one. The man's heart is in the right place, but he only half listens. I mentioned a few weeks before the liquor store trip that I wanted to get a bottle of cake vodka, and he came out with cookie dough vodka...close, but no cigar.

I'd gotten a box of vanilla ice cream with the goal of making a milkshake. I had the recipe pinned for a cake batter milkshake. I didn't have yellow cake mix, but I did have milk chocolate cake mix in the pantry. My blender was fully functional. And, then I thought...I could add cake vodka to the blender in place of milk!

I asked the hubs to make me the milkshake while I was putting Turtle to bed. I told him 4 scoops of ice cream, 1/2 cup of cake mix, and vodka in place of milk. He handed it to me and I took a sip...hello, I'm drunk (Sex and The City reference!). Not only was it like half vodka, but it was entirely too rich. It was an intense few sips. I poured it back in the blender and added extra ice cream to dilute it, much more palatable.

The next day, I wanted another stab at it. Again, I asked the hubs to make it for me while I put Turtle to sleep, but this time I said try 4 scoops of ice cream, 1/4 cup cake mix, and 1 shot of vodka plus a little milk if it was too thick. Worlds better. It wasn't like taking sips of creamy vodka, it was a delicious chocolatey cake batter taste with a hint of vodka instead. Mmm. What a pleasant end to the evening. Unfortunately (not really), I didn't get any pictures, so a few days later I made another one (myself this time) in the name of sharing of course. I upped the cake mix to 1/3 cup, and topped it with whipped cream and sprinkles. Viola! Perfection!

Honestly, experimenting with a recipe is one if my favourite things about cooking. You find a good base recipe and then tweak it until you get it just how you want it (like this milkshake). Or, you try completely new recipes until you finally find that one that is absolutely the best (like pizza dough). There is more than one way to catch a rabbit, so to speak. One of my least favourite things is organic chemistry - not that it has much to do with cooking. I don't think anyway, at least not in my kitchen. I was told organic chemistry was the artistic side of chemistry...sure, if you say so.

Anyway, tangent aside, the basic game plan...

Pull out your blender and plop in 4 generous scoops of ice cream.
Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

Dump in 1/3 cup cake mix.
Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

Pour in 1 shot of cake flavoured vodka (Three Olives also has one).
Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

Blend.
Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

Ingredients:
  • 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
  • 1/3 cup cake mix (I used milk chocolate, but the traditional cake batter flavour is yellow or white)
  • 1 shot of cake flavoured vodka (Pinnacle or Three Olives) or a splash of milk for a non-boozy shake
  • whipped cream and/or sprinkles for garnish (optional)
Directions:
In a blender, combine all ingredients except the whipped cream and sprinkles . Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into desired glass, top with whipped cream and sprinkles, and enjoy immediately.

Boozy Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.