Friday, April 21, 2017

Lincoln | FIVE months

Five months already. So close to half of a year old. And, cuter by the day! I mean he looks just like his daddy so of course. I love his serious little face to pieces. And, his fuzzy hair that is already longer than his big sister's was at this age. I don't even mind when I go to kiss him and get a face of drool - he is drooling and chewing on everything but no teeth yet, which is fine by me.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

We are in 3-6 months clothes mostly with some 6-9 sizes sprinkled in, and just moved to size 3 diapers.

Weight: waiting for his pediatrician appointment
Birth: 7 lbs 1 oz
Height: waiting for his pediatrician appointment
Birth: 20.5 inches

Eat:
I'm savoring these last few weeks of only needing to nurse him. I know plenty of people look forward to starting solids, but I am not one of those people. It involves more effort and a lot more clean up. Nursing is just so easy for us (now)...but I picked up a pack of bibs, replenished the kid plates, and tucked some mesh feeders into Lincoln's Easter basket. And, Lincoln is definitely interested in what we are eating. It'll be here before I know it. I should probably reread our Baby Led Weaning book first.

It still amazes me that Lincoln nurses so quickly. He nurses around 5 times during the day, every 3-4 hours, for 5-6 minutes. He is efficient, yet easily distracted. I usually have to send Aria out of the room if she is being too loud because he wants to watch whatever it is she is doing. He also is done so quickly that he almost never falls asleep while nursing. So very different from Aria.

I've noticed that he doesn't spit up so much anymore. It's a nice change of pace from being spit up on 90% of the day to 30%. Aria liked to spit up as well. I hear some babies don't do that, but I'm not buying it... 

I am just so grateful that breastfeeding Lincoln has been a smooth journey. It was definitely a harder learning curve with Aria. And, I'm so excited that Lincoln and I are still going strong. I've already been wondering if he will wean himself early on like Aria did (around 13 months) or if he will want to keep going for longer.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Play:
Lincoln is all about playing! He loves to stand on his little legs. He loves to grab all the things. He loves to grab his feet and put them in his mouth. He loves to squeal and scream and blow bubbles. He can roll from back to front and front to back with ease. He isn't my tiny newborn any longer...

He likes to roll over immediately when I put him down, which is always a fun thing to do while getting a diaper changed. He will roll and wiggle and twist and roll until he is a few feet from where I put him down. I love it. I'm waiting for him to figure out how to scoot himself backward. I was forever finding Aria scooting herself backwards under things.

He is really content to play in his jumperoo or roll around on his play mat if Aria is nearby, if he is outside (Aria has been really enjoying playing soccer lately so he watches from his jumperoo), or if I am vacuuming. Aria never minded the vacuum either, but Lincoln can be rolling around two feet from his play mat (where I originally placed him) while I vacuum right next to him and he isn't bothered at all.

I love that he grabs everything in front of him. He's been doing so for a while, but I finally remembered that I had a few toys I'd tucked into a storage bin for him to play with when he learned to grab. Although Aria suddenly remembered that the teether moose I bought her when she was a baby is her most favorite thing ever although she never actually liked it as a baby or anytime since then. But, I love it, mom really, I just forgot before...

He has gotten really good at rolling over on his tummy and then pushing himself off the ground with his hands so that his chest is off the floor. He gets himself up and looks around to survey the landscape, and then if he sees you he just lights up with a big ol' smile. I usually lay him on his back on the carpet in my bedroom while I brush my teeth in the morning. I'll pop my head around the corner to peek at him and he is almost always rolled onto his tummy pushing his chest off the ground. Then he gives me a big grin and I want 12 more. Baby grins are really dangerous.

We aren't quite sitting, but he will get in the leaning forward while sitting position and then slowly melt forward toward his toes. Maybe by next month he will be a little sitter. I still remember the first time Aria sat unassisted. It was pretty much the most amazing thing ever. It's hard to believe we are here already with Lincoln.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sleep:
Oh, sleep. I miss you. That four month sleep regression slowly crept its ugly head into our lives. I can't remember the last time Lincoln slept through the night, or even just woke up once. It's usually a twice up at night kind of sleep situation. Sometimes more. Occasionally once. He nurses and goes back to sleep in no time at all, but I'd still prefer a nice long stretch of uninterrupted sleep. Sounds nice, doesn't it?

Along with waking up twice at night he is getting up earlier. When we moved into the new house with our windows facing east those mornings came early. But, we've added dark curtains and Lincoln is still waking up early. Just not quite as early as pre-curtains.

I've been tempted to move him into his crib this month, but the thought of trekking all the way across the house twice a night and earlier in the morning sounds less than ideal. I just know that if I have to wake up enough to walk that by the time I get back to my bed I will be wide awake. Right now I can get Lincoln to my lap and then continue to half sleep while he nurses so that after I put him back in his dockatot I can easily fall back to sleep myself.

He was having a hard time falling asleep last month, but he has gotten over that now. For the most part he will put himself to sleep after I nurse him in the evenings. Now he just needs to keep sleeping. All night.

Bedtime is around 730-8pm. Typically he will sleep until 1am when he wakes up to nurse, and then goes back to sleep until 5am-6am when he wakes up to nurse again. Sometimes he will wake up closer to 630am and refuse to go back to sleep. Then 20 to 30 minutes later, when I am completely awake by the way, he will take a little nap until Aria wakes up. Those mornings call for extra coffee.

Why is baby sleep so complicated?

His nap lengths are all over the place. Some days he will nap for half an hour three times a day. Some days he will nap for an hour, then three hours, then 20 minutes. Some days he will nap for an hour and half then another hour and a half and skip his third nap. It's just a surprise as to what kind of napping he will do each day.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Lincoln:
I think that his favorite part of the day (other than food time) is pulling on mom's hair. He has such a strong grip that I have a hard time untangling him from it. He grabbed the back of my hair a few weeks ago and I could not get him to let go. I finally had to lay him down on the couch so I could use both of my hands to free myself.

He has such a serious expression most of the time. Just calmly taking in his surroundings, waiting for the right moment to flash a grin. People will come talk to him in the store and he just stares at them. He is pretty stingy with that smile. That's okay, he gives mama and daddy a whole bunch. Aria gets even more.

He makes the best noises, but recently he has been making an 'mmmm' sound. A raspy 'mmmm'. So maybe he will say mama first instead of dada (Aria said dada first). Seems fair to me.

He loves diaper changes but not getting dressed again afterwards. He no longer minds big sneezes but some loud noises still bring out the booboo lip. He is almost always sucking in his bottom lip. And, tummy tickles and raspberries get the giggles started. Oh how I love the giggles. And him.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

Sweet Turtle Soup - Lincoln | FIVE months

10 comments:

  1. Awh look how chunky he is! I love baby chunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuter by the day indeed! I almost got a touch of baby fever here but then Ez interrupted me a million and one times to ask for random things and Declan started making his mischief rounds and that cured it ;) Happy 5 months Lincoln!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So dang cute! He is getting so big! When did that happen? I'm headed your direction next week! Hopefully it's not too hot? I might melt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is growing so fast! Im majorly impressed by his strength and all his rolling about. Starting solids is totally bittersweet and the messes, yeesh. Sending you all the sleep through the night vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is adorable. He's holding a snake! lol. Sorry the sleeping isn't going so great but glad the nursing is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe he is nearly 6 months old. It feels like he just got here! I agree on the feeding stuff and his efficient is impressive for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe he is nearly 6 months old. It feels like he just got here! I agree on the feeding stuff and his efficient is impressive for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness he is handsome! And you could totally hold off on solids if you wanted to. "Food before one is just for fun" is one of my favorite little mantras, especially for a breastfed baby. Have you read Baby Led Weaning? Such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww...he is so handsome! I can't believe he's 5 months already. That doesn't seem possible. I was going to mention Baby Leg Weaning too, but Laura beat me to it. Ha ha! I didn't do that with Cam, but Emmy refused most purees, so I tried some of that and she loved it. I didn't read the book or follow any instructions. I just followed her cues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet and handsome boy! I can't believe he is nearing 6 months. Where does the time go? I hope the sleeping gets better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.