Thursday, August 4, 2016

Teaching Together Blog Hop #11

Hey, everybody! Welcome to the Teaching Together Blog Hop - Summer School. I, together with Whitney at Work it Mommy, Amanda at Tickled Pink, Courtney at A+ Life, Beth at Our Pretty Little Girls, and this month's Summer School guest Leah at Leah With Love thought that a link up focusing on preschool activities, homeschooling ideas, and play at home learning would be a great way to pool together all sorts of fun and educational resources. A place to share and be inspired. Check back on the original post for full details, and/or past blog hops for great ideas!

Sweet Turtle Soup: Teaching Together Blog Hop - Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool kids

Aria was watching Dinosaur Train the other day while I was making lunch. Apparently it was the episode where they visit a volcano. It just sparked something in her. She had volcanoes and lava on the mind for days. So, I thought we might as well run with it and do a few volcano activities.

Read Books About Volcanoes:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
We are a family that loves to read so my first thought for any theme is to find books. I didn't have much luck finding books that were age appropriate for Aria, but I still went ahead and grabbed the ones I could find. I guess volcanoes aren't a hot topic in the easy reader genre. We haven't made it through the big chapter books as of yet and I only got the National Geographic one to look at the pictures, but our favorite of the bunch is An Island Grows by Schaefer. It was the only one that was really for Aria's age level, and it was simple enough to follow while still getting it's point across. Here are all the books I found at the library: An Island Grows by Schaefer, You Wouldn't Want to Live in Pompeii by Malam, The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top by Herman, The Magic School Bus Chapter Book Voyage to the Volcano by Stamper, Magic Tree House #13 Vacation Under the Volcano by Osborne, and National Geographic Kids Volcanoes.

Make an Apple Volcano:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
When you think about the classic volcano themed classroom activity I'm pretty sure the reaction of baking soda and vinegar comes to mind. I didn't really want to build an elaborate volcano (although Chris totally does, and I told him to go for it so maybe he will), but I saw a few fruit volcanoes on pinterest. So an apple volcano it is!

I cut a cone shape out of the top and then used a fruit baller to hollow out the middle a bit more. I scooped a bunch of baking soda into the center and put the lid back on top. I placed the apple in a baking dish and handed Aria a little bottle filled with vinegar. The flaw in my cutting was that the top was removed at an angle. The vinegar would have been able to drip inside the apple easier if I had cut straight down. But, I told Aria to pour the vinegar where the top was and it worked well enough.  There was enough baking soda inside to refill her bottle of vinegar twice and she thought the whole thing was great. She was even a bit annoyed when I threw away the apple.

Make a Color Eruption:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
Another baking soda and vinegar idea I saw on pinterest was using liquid watercolors with the vinegar to get a pretty reaction. I happened to have pink and green liquid watercolors so a pink and green eruption is what we did.

I used my baking dish again and filled two little plastic cups with baking soda. I placed the dish on top of a towel just in case of eruption overflow and handed Aria two bottles filled with vinegar. One mixed with the green liquid watercolor and the other with the pink liquid watercolor - a nice sized squirt in each. I told Aria to slowly pour the green into one cup and the pink into the other cup. There was a nice pile of baking soda in each so I refilled the bottles 4 or 5 times until it was all used up. We didn't end up with any overflow but we did need to wait for the bubbles to die down between pours or it would have been everywhere. Aria loved it even more than the apple volcano. I have an industrial sized jug of vinegar and I'm sure she could have gone through the whole thing plus all the baking soda we have in the house. It was definitely a cool little experiment.

Volcano Coloring Pages:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
I'm sure you could find free coloring pages for just about any topic. So I had Chris print off one that I found online and then Aria went to town coloring it in. I liked that she went with legit colors for the most parts - oranges and reds and yellows. Aria's favorite form of art is painting so she is usually done with coloring in a hot second. This was no different, but she did insist on hanging them up in her room and dragged everybody off to her room to view them several times that day. 

Make a Volcano, version one:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
I saw this idea for a 3D volcano with just the picture, so it didn't come with instructions. I assumed it looked easy enough that we could just wing it. I, however, could not figure out how to make a cone from construction paper. I must have missed that lesson in art class. I finally saw a printable, but I free handed it and our cone wouldn't sit flat on the paper plate. Good enough! So, I have no tips on making the volcano mountain part, but just crinkle up some red, orange, and yellow tissue paper for the lava! Tissue paper is one of my favorite art supplies - cheap, tons of colors, and we've used it a ton of times for various projects.

Make a Volcano, version two:
Volcano Activities and Crafts for preschool age children
I also found some hand print volcano art on pinterest, but I thought we would do it with puffs of cotton instead. I also thought we had red glitter glue for the lava but the closest we had was pink. Aria picked the pink background so it was a rather ladylike volcano in the end!

Start with construction paper in the color of your choice. Cut a volcano from a piece of brown construction paper. Glue it to the first piece of construction paper. Glue on some cotton balls for the cloud of ash and then use glitter glue for the oozing lava running down your volcano. The glitter glue takes a while to dry, so it is still sitting on the dining room table hardening but Aria has a spot for it picked out already where she would like to display her lovely creation.

Bonus:
I love to make treats to go along with any themed activities we are doing. I never did make it to the store for supplies, but I saw the cutest volcano cake pops. I've never made cake pops but I thought Aria might be able to help with the lava drizzle. So, if you are in the market for some volcano activities do a quick pinterest search for volcano cake pops - they looked easy enough!


Please link up and share your teaching together posts below or on instagram/twitter using  #teachingtogetherbloghop. By linking up with us, you are giving us permission to feature your post. If your post is featured, we will include a picture and a link to your site to share the love.



14 comments:

  1. These are all so much fun and creative. I love that thanks to Dinosaur train you did these. And what a great collection of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun lesson. You really nailed it! I am going to snag some of those books and plan a couple of those crafts for C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am LOVING this themes friend. So fun and so interactive. I bet she had the best time with these activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally looks like you might have a little scientist on your hands! It looks as if she is LOVING those experiments!! These are such great activities! We might do that apple thing today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of these! Mason is obsessed with volcanoes! I think these are crafts and activities that he can get behind! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness you always come up with the best crafts and things to do for Aria! I remember that episode of Dinosaur train too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cash would loooove all of these activities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool! I've dona a legit volcano out of sand before in my classroom, talk about a messy but fun activity! You have me craving cake pops now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the activities! The paper volcano is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most creative fun mom ever! Love all the books too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen anyone make a volcano out of an apple before! What a cool way to make a volcano. I especially like that it didn't make too much of a mess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving the apple volcano! How much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many fun activities! I kinda want to do the baking soda/vinegar ones just for me. Not to sound too much like the weird fish from Finding Nemo, but I like bubbles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys really do fun activities! You are putting me to shame this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.