Tuesday, June 7, 2016

[Foodie for a Year - link up #3] - Summer Sausage Skillet

Sweet Turtle Soup: [Foodie for a Year - link up #3] - Summer Sausage Skillet
Sweet Turtle Soup: [Foodie for a Year - link up #3] - Summer Sausage Skillet
Sweet Turtle Soup: [Foodie for a Year - link up #3] - Summer Sausage Skillet
Welcome back to the Foodie for a Year link up! Today's foodie category is 'a summer favorite'. I may have cheated a little because I make this recipe year round, but it really shines during zucchini season. It's one of our favorites, sometimes it even gets made once a week. We almost always have the ingredients on hand, and it doesn't take long to make. Sausage - I use either beef smoked sausage or a combo of beef and turkey smoked sausage depending on what I have on hand, potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and zucchini. What's not to love? I hope you'll try it for dinner sometime.

Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.


print recipe

Summer Sausage Skillet
Sausage, potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and zucchini combine perfectly in this delicious skillet dinner.
Ingredients
  • 3 cups baby red potatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • to taste black pepper
  • 18 oz sausage (turkey, chicken, and/or beef), cut into inch-sized chunks
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into inch-sized pieces
  • 1 orange bell pepper, cut into inch-sized pieces
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into inch-sized pieces
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Instructions
Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.Add potatoes and season with garlic power, salt, and black pepper.Let the potatoes sizzle for 2-3 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cover for 20 minutes. Occasionally mixing to avoid burning.Heat a second large, deep sided skillet over medium-low heat.After 20 minutes remove the potatoes to the second skillet,stirring occasionally.In the first skillet, increase the heat to medium-high again and add in the diced onions. Cook for 8-12 minutes until soft and just starting to brown. Remove the onions to the second skillet.In the first skillet adding a few teaspoons of oil if needed, add in the chopped sausage. Cook until browned all over, 10-15 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to the second skillet, leaving the grease to cook the vegetables.In the first skillet, add the bell peppers and zucchini. Cook until tender, 5-10 minutes. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon to the second skillet.In the second skillet, add the Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Cook for 5 more minutes on medium heat.Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Details
Total time: Yield: 4 servings

[Foodie for a Year - link up #3] - Summer Sausage Skillet
Sweet Turtle Soup

So, what is a recipe you love to make over the summer? Have you tried something new lately? Share it with us below! For more details check back on this post. Remember the next Foodie for a Year link up is on Tuesday, August 2nd - the theme is a quick & easy weeknight recipe! You can also share with us using the #foodieforayear on instagram and twitter!


25 comments:

  1. I love every ingredient in this! We are in s bit if a dinner rut right now so I will definitely be adding this recipe to the mix!

    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love dishes like this. So easy to prepare and quick out of the kitchen for summer evenings. Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love an easy skillet meal!! This looks beyond delish and calling my name!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! Skillet meals are among my favorites of all time! And, I have every single ingredient needed to make this. We might be giving this a go tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zucchini is my favorties veggie and I'm always looking for new ways to us it. This recipe will be added to my list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good and so easy! Definitely trying this. Mila has been on a sausage kick lately, so this may even be Mila approved!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, great minds.. I'm making a variation of this for supper this week. One pan, quick easy. I'm pretty sure I'm even going to dice everything the night before to make even easier!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds delicious! Zucchini is a favorite of mine! Pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, love the alliteration. Secondlt, this looks so simple and delicious. Actually I'm going to pin this because it seems like something all members of this family can get on board with! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love skillet meals especially because you can change it up and it's totally different every time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm...I love dishes with sausage! I'm definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! This is one of our favorites too (but with veggie sausage). Stirfrys are the perfect for summer, no oven heating up the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used 2 homegrown zucchinis in last nights dinner and it made me beyond happy! I want to make this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is looking absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good and your photos turned out really well friend! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good and your photos turned out really well friend! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness that looks so yummy and similar to something we make. I need to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks really good! Although I'm pretty sure Reese would not eat it. Does Aria?

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUM!! This sounds pretty easy and delicious! I'll definitely have to have Seth try this :) We love Aidell's chicken apple sausage. I think it would be pretty tasty in here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious and gives me a reason to use zucchini again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing! Definitely trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.