Tuesday, April 26, 2016

[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

April 11th -

I'm back with the second day of our Cheers to Five Years Disney trip. With our annual passes expiring on the 12th we wanted to soak up a few more days of magic. So, we decided to lump my Birthday and our 5th Wedding Anniversary into a 3 day trip to celebrate. If you missed day one you can find that here.

When we stay at Disney for a few days I don't like to over-plan our days. I'd rather wait to see how we feel. The only plan we really wanted to stick to was the fastpass I snagged for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Aria is finally tall enough to ride on the 38 inch rides and since it's a newer ride none of us had ridden it yet. Chris and I are of the mind set that we would rather wait until we can do the rides as a family instead of riding alone using rider swap.

So, the night before we decided to go ahead and get up early and try to make it to Magic Kingdom in time for the morning welcome show. One of my favorite things about staying on Disney property is having breakfast in our room for a relaxing slow morning, but the Pop Century rooms aren't as exciting to do that in as say the Wilderness Lodge rooms. Instead of slow we went with the get up and go go go method.

A couple people asked how we liked our stay at Disney's Pop Century Resort, so I thought I'd give a quick review.

What we didn't like...The bathroom faces into the bedroom area, so if you want to get up earlier than your kid and turn on the bathroom light it will brighten up the whole bed area. It was noisier than our stays at The Boardwalk or The Wilderness Lodge, lots of toilet flushing and feet walking past the window and door. There was no ceiling fan. I hated the lack of air movement. I always like a fan on when I'm sleeping. It wasn't hot, just still. There was a piece of old cheese on the tissue box and the floor was wet in one spot for the first day and a half. I don't normally bring condition because I don't condition my hair, I use apple cider vinegar but I don't bring the glass bottle I store the solution in. I usually just use the little condition samples you get, but you get a shampoo/condition combo one. It was gross, and in hindsight we should have run over to Target so I could buy my own but who wants to waste time at Disney World? And, the pillows sucked.

What we did like...The theme is really fun. We liked walking around and checking out all the larger than life decorations. We even played a little twister. Chris liked the food he got from the food court one evening. The buses were prompt and plentiful every time we used them. And, the biggest plus - it's a Disney bargain.

Would we stay there again...Probably not. We enjoy the convenience of a short boat ride to Magic Kingdom or being able to walk to Epcot more than the convenience of not having to drive 2 hours back home at the end of the night. To us it is worth it to splurge on a great resort, especially since we can do day trips. When we do get to treat ourselves to a stay on property we like to take advantage of breakfast in our room, the fun of being super close to the parks, super soft pillows, and enjoying our time out of the parks as much as our time in.

Now back to day two!

Chris and I got up and got ready for the day, while Aria slept until the last possible minute. We brought muffins with us, so we had a quick breakfast bite before making our way to the buses. A bus was already there and we were the last to board, so we made it to the Magic Kingdom in good time. I even got randomly selected to go through the metal detectors, Chris was excited about it. But, most importantly we arrived in plenty of time for the welcome show - only the second time we've ever successfully made it on time.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

After we made it through the gates we beelined it to as many rides that usually have longer lines as we could. It was supposed to be a busy day so if we didn't get them done in the morning the lines would have been too long for us. We made it to Peter Pan's Flight, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Barnstormer, Journey of the Little Mermaid, It's a Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, and Pirates of the Caribbean.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

Our fastpass time wasn't until 8pm because the fastpasses for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are snatched up quickly. So, we decided to head back to the room for family nap time. It took Aria a bit to settle down but she eventually did and took a good long nap. We had early dinner reservations at the Liberty Tree Tavern, around 5pm I believe. So, we made our way back to Magic Kingdom just in time for that.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

I'd wanted to try Liberty Tree Tavern for a while so I made these reservations well in advance. When I made day one's Garden Grill reservations I didn't realize it was basically the same exact meal. Turkey and Beef with sides all served family style. We ended up liking the meal we had at Garden Grill better than this one at Liberty Tree Tavern. Chris really didn't enjoy it much at all. Aria only ate rolls again. I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't enjoy it much either. Everything seemed too salty. I liked the salad the best probably. Needless to say I don't think we will be tempted to go back.

Aria loves playing at the Dumbo play area, so we walked over there next. It was a good time because there weren't that many kids. Sometimes it is packed. Chris and I could actually sit and keep an eye on Aria, normally one of us has to walk back and forth to watch her. Although Aria talked Chris into going up in the play set with her, but I got to sit.

Next we used a fastpass for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Then Aria tried to kill us with her "faster, faster" on the Mad Tea Party. Followed by recovery ice cream from Storybook Treats.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

And, then the big one! Our first ride on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Aria and I sat in the very front, and she looooved it. She loved it so much she wanted to do it again, and when that wasn't possible because the line was probably 95 minutes she insisted we go do Barnstormer again. Three times in a row. My little thrilled seeker.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

We rode The Carrousel, It's a Small World again, caught part of Main Street Electrical Parade, and ended the night with a squeaky Magic Carpet ride.
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom
[Cheers to Five Years] Disney Trip #24, day 2 - A Full Day at Magic Kingdom

Once we got back to the resort Chris was a little hungry from not eating much at dinner so he and Aria shared a roasted chicken meal. Then Aria picked out a handful of pressed pennies on the way back to the room. I think she made it to bed around 1130, mom and dad shortly thereafter.

Disney Trip #24


A fun and long day at Magic Kingdom all on video! You can check it out below, I'd especially recommend a glance at Aria riding Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for the first time right around the 17:30 mark.



13 comments:

  1. I love that Aria is growing up with such a love for Disney just like you. So awesome and something she will always love and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One reason I need to go back soon is to ride the seven dwarfs mine train!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad that your annual passes are done so we won't be seeing these posts as often. Your Disney recaps are my favorite. I love living vicariously through you! Sounds like such a fun day - love all the photos! I love that Aria isn't afraid of the roller coasters. Mila is still so short, so it'll probably be a while before we can even attempt it with her. But I'm with you - we don't do rides at any amusement parks unless we can all go on. P.S. Is Aria's dress Old Navy? I just got Mila the same one! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you were able to do a lot this day! That's awesome that she loved the mine train- I really enjoyed that one. No way Reese would've gone on that, haha! :) We couldn't even get her on the carousel or Dumbo.
    The one thing that's nice about Deluxe resorts is the interior hallways. Loved having that at the Beach Club, and now I'm spoiled. I know what you mean about the value resorts though.
    Love that you caught the morning show- that's one of my top priorities on our next trip. Oh my gosh, the spinning on the tea cups! Made me dizzy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures of Aria on the Teacups. She really is a pretty lil girl.

    I also love reading about your trips to Disney, they always seem like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! So much fun! Except your description of the room. Yuck. I've wondered about those value resorts.... Not worth it I think. Unless you BYOF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fabulous in your SF top! Gross, a piece of old cheese?! I have no words. Ive never been to any opening ceremonies, that is awesome. A midday nap is a luxury I definitely miss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the tea cups! I HATE the tea cups. On our last trip to Silver Dollar City the girls were tall enough to ride them without a parent. It was a glorious, GLORIOUS day :D! Looks like another great trip in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great family pictures! And I love that you are using your passes to their fullest before they expire. I'm totally getting in touch with you whenever we plan a trip to Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my goodness! I just love reading your recaps and planning my own Disney World Vacation..which of course you guys are going to be our tour guides right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We didn’t ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train while we are there. We have a bunch of chickens in the family that squirm at the thought of a roller coaster. And I didn’t want to make everyone else wait while just Mason and I rode. But next time? We are totally doing it! Good to know about pop century. I think we want to stay at Port Orleans next time. Barnstormer and Pirates were two of Mason’s favorites! You guys packed so much into your day. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still trying to convince Scott we need to do a staycation at The Grand Californian (our version of wilderness lodge). He's not on board. I need him to read your posts so he sees all the benefits!
    I really hope you decided to renew your passes. I will miss all your trip recaps!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So jealous! I was just thinking about how we were in Disney this time last year! Are you guys planning on renewing your season passes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.