Thursday, October 1, 2015

Teaching Together Blog Hop #1

Hey, everybody! Welcome to the first Teaching Together Blog Hop. I, together with Whitney at Work it Mommy, Amanda at Tickled Pink, Courtney at A+ Life, and Beth at Our Pretty Little Girls, thought that a link up focusing on preschool activities, homeschooling ideas, and play at home learning would be a great way to pool together all sorts of fun and educational resources. A place to share and be inspired. (Check back on the original post for full details)

Since this first link up is on the first day of October (Happy October!) I wanted to focus on Autumn leaf crafts. Unfortunately Florida doesn't get a lot in the way of fall leaves. So, we just have to make our own!

Sweet Turtle Soup: 7 Autumn Leaf Craft Ideas

Here are 7 Autumn Leaf Craft Ideas loosely organized from easiest to hardest.

p.s. Two of these we did these last year!

Hand Print Falling Leaves:
Hand Print Falling Leaves
Supplies:
-paper
-finger paint or tempera paint- red, orange, yellow, green
-large brush
-a brown marker

How to:
Paint your child's hand with a brush and stamp the paper. Let dry. Draw leaf veins on the hand prints with the brown marker.

Finger Painted Autumn Leaves:
Finger Painted Autumn Leaves
Finger Painted Autumn Leaves
Supplies:
-paper
-finger paint or tempera paint - red, orange, yellow, green, brown

How to:
Paint a tree trunk on the paper. Let dry. Squirt a little of each paint color on a tray and let your child finger paint the leaves on the tree - ask them where the leaves go before hand or direct them to where the leaves go.

Stained Glass Leaves:
Stained Glass Leaves
Stained Glass Leaves
Stained Glass Leaves
Stained Glass Leaves
Supplies:
-wax paper
-tissue paper - red, yellow, green, orange
-glue
-leaf stencil
-pen
-scissors
-double sided tape

How to:
Have your child shred the tissue paper, perhaps help them along if they aren't old enough to shred it all before getting bored. Lay out a long rectangular piece of wax paper. Have your child squirt glue all over half of the wax paper. Then let them sprinkle and place the shredded tissue papers all over the glue to completely cover that half of the wax paper. Squirt glue all over the other half of the wax paper, and then carefully fold it in half on top of the tissue paper. Let completely dry. Trace leaves with your stencil and then cut out. Hang on your windows with a little piece of double sided tape. 

Leaf Hunt Contact Paper Display:
Leaf Hunt Contact Paper Display
Leaf Hunt Contact Paper Display
Leaf Hunt Contact Paper Display
Supplies:
-nature!
-leaf collecting bucket
-contact paper
-scissors
-painter's tape

How to:
Go on a nature walk, collecting leaves along the way. Tape a square of contact paper to the wall with painters tape, the sticky side facing outward. Have your child press the found leaves to the contact paper.

Notes:
You can talk about various colors, shapes, sizes, leaf edges, etc. You could identify which trees the leaves come from, if you have any idea yourself (I have no idea myself). You can compare the leaf veins to the palm of your hands, and talk about how those veins carry food and water to the leaf similarly to how our veins carry blood to our hearts. Depending on age.

Water Color Coffee Filter Leaves:
Water Color Coffee Filter Leaves
Water Color Coffee Filter Leaves
Water Color Coffee Filter Leaves
Supplies:
-coffee filters
-leaf stencil
-pen
-parchment paper
-double sided tape
-paint brushes
-water colors OR food colors - red, yellow, orange, green
-some sort of box to keep the mess contained

How to:
Stencil your leaf onto a few coffee filters and cut out the shape, you can easily cut 5 or so at a time. Dilute the water colors or food colors with a little bit of water, the more water the less vibrant your leaves will be. Place leaves in a box and let your child paint them, I kept 2 or 3 together so Aria could paint more than 1 at a time because I cut out about 50. Be careful because the colors can stain...clothing, fingers, etc. Gently place each painted leaf on sheets of parchment paper to dry. Place a piece of double sided tape to them and stick to your windows.

Notes:

We had the most fun doing this craft together. Usually either I give Aria a little direction and let her loose, or I have to give a lot of help when we do crafts. But, with this one the painting was equal. Aria did the first few on her own and then asked me to help. So she'd paint a little and I'd paint a little, I didn't help her and she didn't help me. It was my favorite of these 7 crafts because of that.

Potato Stamp Leaf Prints:
Potato Stamp Leaf Prints
Potato Stamp Leaf Prints
Supplies:
-paper (or canvas)
-tempera paint - red, yellow, orange
-a potato
-knife
-tiny leaf shaped cookie cutter

How to:
Slice off the end of a potato leaving a large enough potato face to fit your leaf cookie cutter. Press your leaf cookie cutter into the potato, but not all the way to the surface or you'll have a hard time pulling it back out. Remove the cookie cutter and slice about half an inch down around the potato to remove the outer potato from the leaf shape. Now you have a potato stamp!
Set out the paints and let your child stamp with the potato onto the paper. You may want something to blot the paint on or it can get a little too gloopy on the stamp. Let dry and admire.

Homemade Window Cling Leaves:
Homemade Window Cling Leaves
Homemade Window Cling Leaves
Homemade Window Cling Leaves
Supplies:
-puffy paint
-ziploc bag (or wax paper)
-optional: leaf template to trace

How to:
Squirt your leaf design on the ziploc bag. A template would make it easier but I was lazy and just did it by wonky freehand. I made the outlines of the leaves and then Aria squirted some paint in the centers. Then I helped her connect the paint to the outer edge. Let dry for 24 hours. Carefully peel off and stick to a window (or baby gate as the case may be).

Notes:
Keep your design lines nice and thick. Make sure the leaf veins are all touching the outer edge of the leaf, and again keep them thick. It also works better to keep less space between veins because it will make the final product less fragile. Our first attempt we tried 4 different leaf shapes, but the simple almost oval shaped ones worked the best. So our second round we made all oval type leaves. When you peel them off don't let it fold over onto itself because it was almost impossible to pull it back apart. We lost about 3 leaves by accidentally letting the design touch itself. So, it's a little tricky for tiny hands but a neat DIY for older kids.

And, there you have it. Seven leaf crafts perfect for an autumn afternoon. Which leaf craft might you try?

Sweet Turtle Soup

Now it's your turn to share your Teaching Together post below. I can't wait to read your ideas!



16 comments:

  1. Such fun ideas!! My son would love them. We will definitely be doing a few in the next few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful are all of these ideas?! Wow! Color me super leaf impressed. Now I just need some big trees in my yard to provide me with leaves :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! I also love that baby picture you snuck in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stained glass leaves! So cute! I also think my kids would really enjoy the contact paper leaf collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seriously do the greatest crafts with Aria. I love all of these. I've been slacking in the craft department because I worry too much about messes. I think I need to get on board with these fall ones though - love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all these! That potato cutter one came out especially cute, and I think I have those same leaf cutters, so we'll start there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you had posted this sooner so I could have incorporated some of your awesome ideas when we were doing our leaf art! I love the puffy paint cling ons and the stained glass leaves, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come be my in-house arts and crafts director!!
    We may have to try those hand print leaves. Marcus has really taken to painting, and as of late has found he likes to paint his hands as much as the paper - so this would be the perfect combo of both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Umm I swear you are the most creative and crafty person EVER. I'm convinced you should write a book. Teach me! Also, where do you buy all your crafts? I want to get more for Mason to be able to do all these fun things but I find them to be so expensive (maybe that's just the start up cost?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous ideas! I love doing crafts with noah and all of these look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seriously take this to a whole new level and I love it! Such festive crafts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such cute crafts! They look so fun to do and I bet they look festive around the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the leaf activities! We may have to do those coffee filter leaves soon. I have been wanting to do something with the coffee filters I bought for crafts :)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in awe of all these ideas! They look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of these lil projects look like so much fun! I wanna do them too! :)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many great ideas! So funny about the DIY window clings, my very first creative business was me selling those in 5th grade. I would do all the looney characters, and then sell them to my friends.. this was back in the "Taz" craze days. So funny, memories ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.