Thursday, October 8, 2015

Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
This little Disney getaway already seems so long ago. Time for another, wishful thinking! As I mentioned before we took a three day trip to camp at Disney's Fort Wilderness. But first we hit up Epcot's Food & Wine Festival for lunch. We parked at The Boardwalk and walked to Epcot via the International Gateway (back entrance), which is our favorite way to do Epcot.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
One of the things we wanted to do during Food & Wine was Remy's Hide and Squeak Scavenger Hunt, so we bought a map at one of the shops. Unfortunately we never got to finish it this trip. We found a couple on day one but when we went back on day three it was so crowded we literally couldn't find Remy because of the congestion and lines for the food booths. We ended up giving up the hunt this trip, but we have our fingers crossed that we can make it back once more for more food sampling and the rest of the Remys.

We did however eat and eat and eat.

Greece's chicken gyro - middling.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Dominican Republic's caramel flan with rum-roasted pineapple - didn't like the sauce but the flan itself was tasty.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Cheese Studio's cheese fondue with sourdough bread and Still River Winery Apfel Eis - you cannot go wrong with bread and cheese...or wine.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Sustainable Chew's vanilla panna cotta and pork spareribs - I hated the texture of the panna cotta but Aria ate every last bite and the pork spareribs were very good.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

 Chew Lab's NY Strip - Chris really enjoyed it.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

We made a quick stop to get our Festival Passports stamped (in order to get a free wine glass for being passholders after three trips) and ride Living with the Land.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Desserts & Champagne's frozen smores - one of my favorites and Aria's.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Scotland's seared sea scallop - Chris thought it was super good.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Farm Fresh's hard cider flight and griddled 'yard bird' - I hated the pumpkin cider but the other three were delicious and Chris did not enjoy the 'yard bird'.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

We stopped to see Duffy, who is being replaced soon.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

New Zealand's seared venison loin - Chris thought it was just okay.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Australia's grilled lamb chop - this one is a repeat from last year except Chris loved it last year and hated it this year. Luck of the draw with some of the meats and how long they've been done.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

China's mango jasmine tea, chicken pot stickers, and Beijing roasted duck in a steamed bun - I adored the tea, the pot stickers sucked, and the roasted duck wasn't my thing.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

  Poland's kielbasa and potato pierogi - one of my favorites from last year and just as good this year.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Not part of the Food & Wine but it just isn't a trip to Epcot without The American Dream from Fife & Drum Tavern. We were all stuffed and some of us were ready for a nap so we headed out in order to set up camp at Fort Wilderness.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Chris set up the tent all by himself, while Aria and I went exploring. We checked out the little shop, the beach, the playground, and on the way back to camp we spotted a trio of deer.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

Aria was filthy from the beach so I corralled her into the shower while Chris did a Publix run for some grub. We ate (in the dark while being eaten alive by bugs), and then read a few stories out of Aria's new not-so-scary Disney storybook before bedtime. Aria flip flopped on her side of the air mattress for a bit before passing out while Chris and I sat in the screened porch trying to charge our cell phones and camera. We also saw bits of the Magic Kingdom fireworks through the trees since Magic Kingdom is just across the water.
Disney Trip #16, Day 1 - Epcot's Food & Wine Festival and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campgrounds
As for camping...I didn't love it. I barely slept a wink because I heard every little nature-y noise. And then the air mattress half deflated so Aria kept rolling on top of me. At one point she was sleeping across my body. Also some small critter investigated the zipper to our screened porch, which put me on high alert the rest of the night. I'm used to a very dark and quiet bedroom...without woodland critters.

The tent itself was really rather nice and had great air flow. I wasn't hot and sweating all night long like I thought I would be, and I was actually cold on the second night because a cool front hit. It was also roomy and you could stand up in it - we purchased this one in case you are interested. Chris put it up all on his own and it didn't take him very long at all.

The Fort Wilderness campgrounds were really kept up though. It is definitely not their fault that I am not a tent kind of gal.

Two things though...

One, I talked Chris out of getting a golf cart because I didn't think it was a need. I was totally wrong. Our plot of ground was very close to the dining area, the beach, and the boat to Magic Kingdom but the pool along with the Chip and Dale campfire sing-a-long was an annoyingly long walk away. If you are going to want to do anything at the campgrounds itself while you are staying there I'd highly recommend a golf cart. Well worth it!

And two, we took the first boat over to Magic Kingdom on day two and missed the opening ceremony because it was so slow. Ridiculously slow. It makes no sense to me to have a boat that won't get you to the park on time when you are just across the water. I'm still peeved about that.

Would I do it again? It would not be my first choice, but yes I think I could manage. Especially if Chris can figure out how to keep the air mattress inflated, and we rented a golf cart. It certainly wasn't the most relaxing vacation, and I felt dirty the entire trip. So, if I had my way I'd be right over at the Yacht Club or Wilderness Lodge!

And, here is the video for this trip...


See you real soon for day two!

21 comments:

  1. OMG! You're KILLING me with these photos this morning. I'll take one of each please. Thank you. But in all seriousness, that sounds like SO much fun!!!! Do they do this all the time? If not, I'm DEF planning my trip when this is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! Not sure I would be able to make it in a tent. Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love of Disney blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - I don't think I'd love the camping part.
    But seriously, I want to go to this festival! So many good foods! That frozen s'more? GAH! Get in mah belly! The bread and cheese? Obviously. The wine? YES PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy food batman! Over how long of a period did y’all eat all of this amazingness? So cool that y’all got to try so much! And explain this American Dream to me? What’s in it? We didn’t see those when we were there last. Dang it. Thanks for sending us the link to your tent! I was going to ask where y’all got it. We may be investing in one soon. Sorry you didn’t love camping. I think the only way I could do tent camping here in Texas is in the Fall. Too many bugs and 115+ degree weather – no thanks! Love the video and hearing sweet Aria talk! She’s precious. PS – how long does it take to upload a 20 minute video to Vimeo? I feel like my videos take forever to upload and they are nowhere near this size. Do you pay for an upgraded membership?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im drooling over all the food but you KNOW the frozen smores is calling my name! WDW is on the Bucket List and by the time the girls are old enough to go you will probably seen every inch of the place and can write me a tour guide :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that food looks soooo yummy!

    You're not alone. I'm not a camper either. Give me a hotel & a continental breakfast any day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's of looks amazing! When we plan a Disney trip for the kids I am coming to you for advice!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. I am drooling all over my keyboard!! STOP. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frozen s'more all the way! The camping sounds interesting. Not a fan of live critters invading my space, so I understand the high alert/no sleep issue. Definitely seems like there's some extra fun features though, like the boat and golf cart and fireworks. On a side note, why doesn't Dland have cool food festivals like this??! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Food and Wine festival is my favorite. Favorite of the favorites. We will be there in something like 32 days. What is this American Dream you speak of!? Looks amazing. All of it does. Minus deflation air mattresses and bugs. I do not camp. As a rule.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like Panna Cota either the texture is all wrong...in also not much of a camper so it sounds like we are two peas in a pod. I was literally just thinking about pierogi and pelmenie the other day and now I'm starving for it!! I am so curious how much all the foods cost during the festival, we won't be there until April so I know I won't get to indulge but how expensive are each of these bites?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved reading about your adventures in camping and all these snaps have made even MORE excited about our upcoming trip (which I didn't even know was possible - lol!) Thanks for sharing!! I'll be back later to watch your video with my girlies! Hope you and Aria enjoy a fabulous fall day!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stumbled on your blog today, and I just have to say I loved this post. We are really hoping to go to Disney World next year, so I'll have to bookmark this fun food finds. Ha! ;-) That frozen s'more looks extra yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like so much fun! I would definitely have to go when it got cooler though...the sweating, I'm not a fan. And is it weird that I think Aria looks so much like Callie in that tent picture??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, I want to try ALL that stuff! They would have to roll me outta there at the end of the day. Tee hee! Per usual, looks/sounds like a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you ever go camping again, I highly recommend this air mattress: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Queen-Dura-Beam-Airbed-with-Pump/33563031 I'm not a fan of camping either, and of course my college friends went ahead and planned our annual girl's weekend away at a campground this year. (WHY a campground? I have no idea) So I ran out and bought this air mattress and it did not deflate the entire weekend, and it was comfortable too! Also, remember to bring ear plugs next time -- serious sleep saver when camping! Love reading about your Disney adventures, I hope to make it to the food and wine festival one day, it all looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bubble tea is one of my favorite things!!! It was all over Seattle, but is hard to find in Salt Lake City!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness this post made me drool just as much this year. I LOVE all the food shots.

    Side note has Chris lost some weight or is it the beard?! hehe! It can be so hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum yum yum! I love that you're able to go to the food and wine festival every year! One day I'll make it there. I like camping but hate the bugs, so I feel you on that. And what is up with the boat ride?! I can't believe you were on the first one and didn't make opening. I'd be peeved too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much fun! How did I miss this?! As always love your videos. I swear next time we go to Disneyland I'm following suit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.