Wednesday, October 14, 2015

6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!

Canadian Thanksgiving has come and gone for another year. Although, the leftovers are still plentiful. No complaints here. It is one of our favorite holidays because we love inviting our friends over for a big ol' feast. We go above and beyond with the food and drinks - making the biggest turkey we can find, as many sides as will fit in the oven, and buying way too many autumn beer and ciders for the cooler.

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to get a group picture though.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
So many things have changed since this was taken last year. That tiny squish in the middle is crawling all over at top speed. Two of the mamas are knocked up again (the two that are not me, for the record). The guy in red that can't make a serious face to save his life has his very own little squish this year. And, the two eldest girls have at least three times as much hair now.

Next year I'll get a group shot. Fingers crossed.

Aria, Chris, and I spent the morning (and day before) in full prep mode. Cleaning and cooking and keeping Aria entertained in between. I thought fondly of those years when keeping a toddler alive and happy wasn't part of the equation. Chris ran to the store for things we forgot 6 times. I made 4 lists and still forgot to make the stuffing. I patted myself on the back for buying back up boxed stuffing. And, eventually everything came together.
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Almost everybody showed up on time this year, which is funny because I told everybody to come half an hour early since in year's past nobody is ever on time. I think having children has upped punctuality all around. I've made a mental note for next year, the year I tell everybody the correct time and they all show up late - you wait and see!

So, everybody showed up and the kids all played together - as much as an 8 month old, a 1 year old, a 2 year old, and an almost 3 year old play together. The kids got hungry, the food was behind schedule (also the story of my life), everybody finally ate, and then more playing before I shoved extra plates of dessert at people to take home and we called it party over.
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
This year's feast: turkey, gravy, stuffing..or dressing if you're being technical, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli cheese casserole, green bean casserole, mac & cheese, corn on the cob, rolls, apples, cranberry sauce, and deviled eggs. For dessert: pecan pie, and caramel apple blondie cheesecake. Plus apple cider to drink.
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Aria's pink car was a big hit after dinner. And, thankfully the weather was really quite nice...a few degrees cooler would have been even nicer, but it wasn't hot at least.
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Sweet Turtle Soup - 6th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!

Can't wait to do it all over again next year!

15 comments:

  1. Love how you celebrate canadian thanksgiving!! Looks like such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy how much can change in a year! All the food looks delicious. That caramel apple cheesecake is especially intriguing. And glad to hear that Aria's car is getting plenty of use after a slow start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6th annual? How awesome. I am a sucker for traditions. Looks like a good time was had by all. And that food? Oh man…I am so hungry for Thanksgiving dinner now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! We've been meaning to do this with our friends, but just timing hasn't let it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you celebrate Canadian thanksgiving too! Maybe we should celebrate American Thanksgiving with friends, what a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun day! And making memories is what I'm all about! I love comparing back to past years. It's crazy what can happen in that time. Happy belated thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never nitrogen fed what a big yard you have! Way to go. I want to have turkey in October!!! What a fun idea and might be better to schedule than a Friendsgiving

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed with Aria's plate... Connor is such a punk when it comes to food. I try and I try with no progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that having children made everyone punctual. It has done the exact opposite over here. You made quite the feast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing baby bumps! And food pictures. So this post pretty much did it for me haha. I might have to get in on this Canadian Thanksgiving, its my favorite holiday and wouldnt mind celebrating it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh!! You're making me so hungry! I love that Canadian Thanksgiving is a celebration with friends. I feel like I should start celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving too as a way to get to great meals out of it! I love Thanksgiving food! (side note : why is the word Thanksgiving so long. I literally typed it like 10 times just now ugh)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Six years?! That's awesome that you keep this tradition rolling. As for the food - I'll take a plate of each, please and thank you. And the desserts? I'll just take them all (no plates needed, but maybe a fork... maybe).
    I'm also chuckling at the idea of prepping these kinds of events pre-toddlers... ha! It's like a carnival act to keep a kitchen running while entertaining a little, and no one getting hurt (or frustrated).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, looks like an amazing time for everyone! I love the pictures of Aria helping out with the prep. That's awesome. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much fun. This is just the best tradition ever. Like your own form of Friendsgiving but Canadian! I HATE when I forget the group photo too, UGH!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.