Monday, September 7, 2015

Big Girl Status

The big day has come. The day that Aria was ready for not only a big girl bed but also big girl panties.

Let me tell you about the bed first!

We'd ask occasionally if she wanted to start sleeping in a big girl bed. The answer was always 'no' until one day it was 'yes'. So, I ordered her a new clock that would let her know when to get out of bed - ok to wake clock. The day that it arrived Aria and dad turned the crib into a toddler bed.
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition
I think she was pretty excited about the change.
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition
I even wrapped up her new clock because unwrapping things is always more fun.
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition, ok to wake clock
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition, ok to wake clock
But best of all? The clock works for Aria. She has yet to get out of bed before it turns green in the morning. Praise the Lord. I've enjoyed setting my alarm for a few minutes before her green light time. That way I can watch her wait for it to turn green before hopping out of bed and coming into my bed to wake me up. Now if only she would just snuggle instead of drag me out of bed to show me the green light.

The only hitch we've had is that she has a hard time falling asleep at night now. She says she's scared of the dark, which didn't seem to be an issue before. I think she's feeling more vulnerable with the bars gone. I'm hoping she'll grow accustomed to it. Any advice? She has three night light type things and her sleep sheep, not to mention it really isn't that dark at her bedtime yet since it is still summer.
toddler bed, big girl bed, SUNDVIK crib, ikea crib, toddler bed transition, ok to wake clock

Now onto the potty training...similar to the big girl bed, she all of a sudden showed an interest in wearing panties. Off we went to let her pick out some and the next day she started wearing them cold turkey style. I made her a chart to put stickers on so she could earn 'potty prizes' as well.
potty training, potty training chart
She gets 1 star when she pees on her potty and 2 when she poos. This picture above is from day 2. We are nearly to the bottom now - it's day 8. When she earns enough stickers to reach a star (which I should have made a different symbol because her stickers are stars too and it gets a wee bit confusing earning stars to reach stars...oh well) she gets a 'potty prize'. We bought her a new doctor kit with lots of parts as well as a few things from the Target dollar spot, so each star gets her one item. Each prize magically appears on top of a cabinet where she can see it but not reach it - the potty training fairy leaves them for her. I just thought it would bring a touch of whimsy to the whole thing. She certainly gets excited when she notices the next potty prize up on the cabinet.

I haven't decided what her final star should be yet (although I better get a hurry on it because we will be there very soon - suggestions?). I do plan on giving her a completion certificate though. Something to let her know that the potty prizes are done but to keep up the good work.

And, the work has been good!

On day 1 we spent most of the time in the bathroom. She peed or pooped every 10 to 30 minutes all day long. There were a lot of accidents but even more successes. She was happy to earn her stars and doctor kit parts. I was happy she decided to poop on the potty instead of her panties.

Day 2 was much better. Aria listened to her body better. Mommy got a better idea of how often a reminder to potty was needed. There were 0 accidents. I was tickled pink. We are on day 8 now, like I said above, and we've had just 1 accident since day 2.

We started on a Monday and didn't leave the house for 5 days.

By Saturday I was feeling confident enough in the potty skills to run some errands. I brought a travel potty seat in my purse along with back up clothing and wipes. We ended up running around for about 4 hours. Aria went potty 3 times with 0 accidents. phew.

We even took our canoe trip over the weekend (woo hoo just one more item to go on our Summer Bucket List now!) and brought Aria's potty seat with us. You haven't really lived until you've helped a toddler pee while floating in a canoe.

She is still wearing a diaper at night right now. And as soon as we run out of our current diaper supply we will be looking into getting pull ups to use at night.

Right now we are working on less reminders from me and better wiping skills. I also didn't realize worrying about aim was not just a boy thing. Who knew?

But, mostly I'm just super proud that she's done so well with both of her new 'big girl' steps. Although it makes me a little sad that overnight she seems so much older. Bittersweet.

24 comments:

  1. And, poof, she's big girl status.
    While I can't give tips on the bed - Marcus insists on having basically a spotlight on at night, it's still a small miracle he stays in the bed. So, whatever you're doing seems to be working! I think (hope) with time the fear of the dark goes away on its own.
    And YAY for successful potty training! Isn't it a dream to not have to change diapers?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is still a strange thing for us around here. Connor has weeks of good sleep and others when it's a battle. He hates going down at night... we have to lay down with him until he falls asleep. I'm looking to get a legit bed (no longer using his converted crib) soon in hopes that a big comfy bed like ours will help him sleep at night.
    Way to go on potty training. We have issues still but overall he does pretty good. Going in public is the worst but we are working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is so great.. potty training is such a huge deal! wohoo
    as for the sleeping D is five and he still wanders back to our room sometimes.. I have no tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on Aria's big girl steps! Glad she is doing so well with them. That clock is genius for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a big girl, how did it all happen overnight?! We had a sticker potty chart too, that really motivated Kinsey. Im thankful I still have another year plus before having to do it ALL over again with Brielana. It really does make it easier when they show interest about the whole business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Mason had a clock to tell him when to get up because on a holiday, you are most certainly NOT supposed to wake up at 5:15am. Ugh. At least he was good the rest of the weekend and woke up around 6:45 or 7.
    YAY for the big girl bed status and the potty training!!! We're good on the bed but the potty training is what gets me. Ugh. SO dreading that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clock!!! My obsession, for real. I love that clock so much. I think it's my top baby/kid thing we've ever purchased. We use it for quiet time on days Reed doesn't sleep at nap too and he'll still lay in his bed and play for an hour until it turns green. You are gonna love that clock! Also - Reed just pulled the "scared" thing too. What helped us was turning the light out and then snuggling with him a few extra minutes instead of turning off the light after we left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish Evan would sleep in his own bed, but I guess those are the disadvantages of co-sleeping! haha It was the same for us, he suddenly woke up one morning wanting to wear big boy panties and potty training like a champ! Your little miss is just adorable!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found giving the kids a flashlight helps with the dark fears. Some even turn off automatically so batteries don't die each night. Way to go with potty training!!! That's so so huge! Such a big girl now! And I want that clock!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so many exciting, big changes! Liam was a wake up clock too (a bunny one) and it works well for us, but I'm also usually in bed with him anyways in the mornings. And Liam is somewhat newly afraid of the dark as well. I think it is more an age thing and may not have to do with the transition at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY Aria!! Such a smart, little (BIG) girl! I can't even believe how she's handling so much change like a champ! (Lucky momma, ha ha!) I need a good dose of patience (and some big girl panties myself) to get to work on potty training. A couple weeks ago Mia refused to wear diapers for 2 days but I would get frustrated when she had an accident (my bad! Can I blame pregnancy?) so she definitely doesn't want anything to do with potty training again, ugh. I totally messed up! But once I really do crack down (on myself- patience!!) and start potty training, the final prize will be a build a bear! We saw that they have a "Toothless" and Mia girl is obsessed with How To Train a Dragon so we thought that would be the perfect gift!
    I wish I had advice for being afraid of the dark! I know Mia gets nervous at times, too. But we only know that because she totally covers herself in her blanket/sheet from head to toe. Seriously, covering her head (she does it herself) comforts her enough to fall asleep when she's nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, when did she become such a big girl?! A big girl bed & potty training?! Eeek! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - lots of BIG girl things happening for Aria :)
    We had the little blue seahorse for Lia too. The afraid of the dark thing is something we went through. We have a few things in Lia's room that have really helped:
    1- we have a flameless battery operated candle on a timer (3-4hrs)
    2- we have "moon and stars" on the celing that go off in 20 minuets
    3- we have a unicorn Flashlight Friend - to keep by her bed - she controls and shuts off in 10min
    4- we have Lucinda the Ladybug - Bright Time Buddy - stays on for 1 hr and rotates colors or can stay on one nightlight color
    Each night I let Lia pick which one she wants "on" -sometimes we pick 2 :)
    Hope all continues to go well with the potty- she's well on her way !!!!
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, she's doing so well! I'm glad the bed transition went ok- that's the one I'm worried about. We have the ok to wake clock too and Reese really likes it when it turns green in the morning. We actually have quite a few nightlights for her - one that plugs into the wall next to her pack n play and changes colors, a sparkly purple lamp thing, and a paper star that has a small LED bulb in it. It's dark in her room, but the nightlights give it just enough light to see things. That's awesome that potty training is going so well too. We do pull ups when we're out and about, but the rest of the time she's in 'big girl panties' (minus night and naps).

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so helpful! So far Ez shows no interest in potty training and it terrifies me, but it's always nice to hear stories of it going smoothly for other people :) Way to go Aria! Definitely big girl status now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girlfriend is really growing up fast now, sigh. All the big girl things are being checked off and before you know it she'll be 7 :(. BUT, the fun that comes with a potty trained child is pretty unbeatable. So awesome that she is adapting to the changes well. I agree with the more vulnerable part at bed time too. Marissa and Emily both picked that up when they were a bit older. We just leave their doors cracked and the hall light on and they do fine. You'll figure something out that works for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to Aria!! Both at the same time is impressive. We haven't had issues with Ellie in her bed (except her falling out...nothing a pool noodle couldn't fix). The potting is awesome. One of the girls I nannied last year peed on me several times while on the potty...I guess keep legs together??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for big girl steps!! I need to check out that clock for Avery. She is in a twin bed now but there's been lots of getting in and out of bed lately. She also all of a sudden got scared of the dark once we ditched the crib! It was totally random. We got her a Frozen night light, that projects onto the ceiling. She loves it and every night before bed she turns the projector to wherever she wants it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay Aria!!! So glad to hear she's doing well with the potty and her big girl bed!!! We attempted the big girl bed over the weekend and it went horribly. I'm thinking a clock like yours (and some night lights) might help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aria - you are definitely at big girl status now!!! Way to go!! Sounds like she's totally rocking the potty training thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome!! We did the potty training and toddler bed this summer too! So many big changes for our babies. I still can't believe they're so grown up. Sounds like she's doing awesome with the transitions. We LOVE that OK to Wake Clock - it's a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, she is growing up fast! Congrats on completing 2 major toddler milestones at once! That is amazing! She looks adorable sitting in her new bed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, I'm so impressed!! I'm trying to be so patient though and let Wyatt make the potty switch when he's ready. We have the underwear and we talk about it so hopefully he'll do like Aria and just decide one day that he's ready. HAHAHA, and pottying while canoeing=awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.