Friday, August 21, 2015

Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney

Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney
I've been looking forward to checking 'try something new at Disney' off of the Summer Bucket List from the very start. Many ideas were proposed - hopefully some we will get to tackle another time. And, in the end we decided to go with Hollywood Studios' Frozen Summer Fun. What gave that particular new thing the edge was that the other night we had a family movie night. We pulled out every toddler friendly movie in the house and Aria picked Frozen. Again. For the 4,000th time. You can't fight the Frozen craze apparently. It is also only happening for a limited time, so if not now then maybe not ever.

Plus, we hadn't been back to Hollywood Studios for over a year.

So, I read up on all the different Frozen extras, made a list of all the new things we could try (that I forgot at home), and off we went.

We opted for heading over to Disney around midday so that Aria could get a nap in on the drive and hopefully we'd make it until the fireworks that night.

First we stopped at Disney Springs for lunch. And, in the spirit of trying new things we went to Cooke's of Dublin. Kind of like the quick service Raglan Road. Aria and I shared a basket of fish and chips along with a raspberry lemon parfait. Both delicious.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney

Then we arrived at Hollywood Studios and made our way over to the Disney Jr section, which is another new thing for us. Last time Aria hadn't been into watching any of the shows so we didn't see a point. This time though Aria knew exactly who we were going to meet. Doc took a 3 minute break while we were in line and she kept asking 'where did Doc go?'. She got to meet both Doc and Jake. She went right up to them all by herself (we weren't sure if she would be brave enough), but she was pretty quiet about the whole thing. However, she was all smiles as she walked away. 
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney
Afternoon in summer at Disney in line...Aria just kind of melted onto Jake and just stayed that way for a very long time ha. Awkward. I finally told her she could stand up. Jake gave her a nose kiss and then signed 'I love you' so that was sweet. Most of the kids in front of us just wanted the autograph and a picture, but since we aren't into autographs Aria got a lot of interaction with the characters.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney
We couldn't squeeze in a visit to Sofia although Aria did get to see her walk past a couple times because we had a fastpass for the Disney Jr. stage show.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #14 - Summer Bucket List: Try Something New at Disney
You sit on the floor at this stage show. You know what it smells like? Sweaty feet and diapers. The characters are also rather small puppets...the kind that are operated from beneath by a person. It was odd in my opinion because the show is elevated a bit and you are on the floor which makes it hard to see. Aria, however, just enjoyed the heck right out of it.

As we were leaving it started to rain and it only rained more as the day continued, so the rest of the visit was only captured on video.

Something else new we'd never tried was the seasonal milkshake you can get from Min & Bill's Dockside Diner. I was under the impression that the current one was a churro milkshake, which sounds amazing, but what I got was a blue milkshake with enough whipped cream to swim in. I'm not sure what it was supposed to be but it tasted like vanilla to me. It was good, but I was really looking forward to that churro milkshake...

Next we had a fastpass for Toy Story Midway Mania, which Chris and I had done before but Aria had not. So half of a check? I accidentally pulled the lap bar down on myself and Aria a wee bit too tightly and could hardly breath, but apart from that it's such a fun arcade type ride. I aimed and Aria pulled the trigger, and at the end she wanted to go again! But, I think the line was somewhere around 2 hours so that wasn't happening.

I had wanted to let Aria run around the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play set, but it was closed from the rain. So instead we ate the food I packed us and sat inside away from the rain until our Frozen Sing-Along Celebration fastpass. What I didn't notice was that it started to pour while we were eating and we were drenched by the time we ran to the sing-along theater. Fortunately the line is under cover. Unfortunately Aria picked that as the perfect time to take a poo. Sorry kid there was no getting out of line at that point.

The sing-along is almost all of the songs from the movie with 'historians', Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff. It was fabulous. Aria was mesmerized the whole time, and when it snowed at the end she thought it was the bee's knees. Totally worth the soaking.

Sadly it was still pouring after the show so we decided to cut our losses and made a run back to the car - where Aria got changed into nice dry pajamas for the snooze home while Chris and I drove home in wet underwear for 2 hours. Just as delightful as it sounds.

Not our most successful Disney trip. We missed out on the outside stage shows because they were canceled due to the rain. We missed the Frozen welcome parade because we opted to arrive later in the day to see the fireworks, which were probably canceled because of the rain as well. And, I'm still pining for that churro milkshake.

But, the magic of Aria meeting some of her favorite Disney Jr characters and getting to see the Frozen Sing-Along made the rest inconsequential.

Am I ready to go back to Hollywood Studios anytime soon? No. But, I am excited for the new areas that were just announced - Toy Story land and Star Wars land.

Fingers crossed our next trip is much less wet.

And, as usual here is our video from the trip!


For the rest of our Summer Bucket List click here!

Have a magical weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Disneyland has something very similar with the Disney Jr. characters. We've never been because I honestly can't see Marcus sitting still for too long. And if ours is anything like what you described, I'll pass.
    Though you were hit with rain and no churro milkshake, it sure sounds like Aria had a pretty great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love toy story mania! Really wish they did a fastpass for that at Dland. That pic of Aria and Jake is too funny. It seems like lots of girls have toddler crushes on jake, so he's probably used to it ;) Too bad about the smells and the non-churro milkshake. Not sure I'm sold on Hollywood land after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize how similar DisneyWorld and Disneyland were. Actually I think most of what you mentioned happens in California Adventure which I thought was supposed to be "special to CA" (like CA things) but apparently Disney lies. Never the less, sounds like you guys had a great time! We've been to that Disney Jr show before and Mason actually fell asleep in it once lol. And it definitely does smell like sweaty feet and sweaty people. Fun fun. Though ours WAS air conditioned so that was a plus. And toy story mania... so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was like, what no video?! Thankfully it was at the end, phew! That show looked amazing, so much fun, especially the snow at the end! And her with Jake, too cute! Even though it rained, looked like A had a blast anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to the Disney Jr show at Disneyland California Adventure...Ellie had no idea what was going on since we hadn't really watched any of the shows before we went...but for our next trip (coming up soon!!) I am sure she is going to go batsh** crazy for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily would likely have a heart-attack if she could meet the Disney Jr characters! Especially Doc & Sofia. She pretty much thinks she is Sofia lately.
    Sounds like yall had a rough time this go 'round. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That rasperry lemon parfait looks amazing! Im totally excited about Toy Storyland and the hubby is excited for Star Warsland. Go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when a day just doesn't go as planned! But all three frozen things I'm a major fan of. Do you know if they are just summer only? I know sometimes things are so popular they stick around. They had nothing frozen when we were there last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I seriously just watched Frozen for the 1st time this week! Now I understand the obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did pretty well on that bucket list! I always want to make a seasonal bucket list but I feel like I will feel like such a loser if I don't cross anything off lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for another Disney trip recap! :) I'm glad the Frozen celebration was a hit; I've heard good things about that show. There's a few things I like at HS, but it's always been my least favorite park. Although I would like to try the Brown Derby lounge area sometime. That stinks about the rain (especially the wet clothes part), but overall it sounded like you had a decent time. I love that picture of Aria and Jake, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm, the food! I want to go to Disney just for the food! So sorry about the rain but Aria is seriously the luckiest to have you two for parents. So much fun and always going out of your way to give her the BEST childhood memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love all your Disney trips and adventures! She is going to have the most amazing memories! So, when can we come visit and all go to Disney together?!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing little trip!! So cool that you are able to go to Disney so often. And churro milkshakes--- yes please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m finally getting caught up on blog reading! Whew. This whole starting Kindergarten thing has really thrown things off. Haha. I love the picture of her with Jake. That’s priceless! And his expression makes it even better. Too awesome. Bummer that they didn’t have the churro milkshake. That just sounds amazing. Looks like y’all still had fun despite the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bummer that it rained :(. But I love that you made the best of it and she got to meet some new characters too.

    P.S. I almost gagged when you said sweaty feet.... that is just gross.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.