Friday, May 15, 2015

Spring Bucket List - Make a Bird Feeder

Sweet Turtle Soup: Spring Bucket List - Make a Bird Feeder
Up next on our Spring Bucket List was make a bird feeder. I wanted to try out the bread and peanut butter bird seed feeder I'd seen around pinterest. It looked easy enough. But, what they don't say is that it is messy as hell. Also my bread would not stay on the string - I used stale bread and left it open to the air all night to harden up, as per the instructions. It just kept crumbling apart. Poor bird is going to find the seeds and knock it off with one nibble. I guess that will make it easier to snack on though. And, to top it off we went to make these in the morning and Aria got stung by a wasp. So we didn't get back outside until it was hot hot hot and zero shade. I suppose that is what I get for waiting until yesterday to make them. However, Aria really enjoyed lathering the bread with peanut butter and licking her fingers, and then sprinkling each side with the bird seed. Not a fail as long as fun was had I say.

I think we will take another stab at these again soon. I still have another loaf of stale bread I saved for the project, and about 400 more pounds of bird seed.  This was just the first trial. Perhaps toasting the bread will be better, and making the straw hole more towards the center. By the way, can you tell these are heart shaped? No? I don't think the birds will mind.
Simple Kid Friendly Bread and Peanut Butter Bird Seed Feeder
Simple Kid Friendly Bread and Peanut Butter Bird Seed Feeder
Here are the instructions if you care to give it a shot - get some hard bread (leave it out in the open air overnight or toast it), cookie cutter a shape from each piece of bread, lather each side with peanut butter, press bird seed all over each side, use a straw to poke a hole somewhere not too close to the edge, tie it to a string, and hang it from a tree.
Simple Kid Friendly Bread and Peanut Butter Bird Seed Feeder
And, look the flowers are still alive! Although something keeps digging holes in the dirt every night - I suspect squirrels. The flowers even look just fine still except the purple ones look a little sad. I'm still keeping it in the solid win column. Do you see the empty string hanging from the tree? That one fell off as soon as I got it hanging up. So far the other two are holding up though.
Simple Kid Friendly Bread and Peanut Butter Bird Seed Feeder
Sweet Turtle Soup: Spring Bucket List - Make a Bird Feeder
 For the rest of our Spring Bucket List click here!

9 comments:

  1. Lol! Not as easy as it sounds, I know. We've attempted to make many-a-bird-feeder at our house over the years. One thing they don't mention in all those tutorials on Pinterest is how you'll have a gigantic bag of birdseed laying around afterwards! :)

    Next time, try rolling a toilet paper roll in peanut butter (or Crisco baking shortening) and covering that with birdseed. We did that version a few weeks ago and it seemed easier for Tory to maneuver. Then, you just thread the string through the TP roll one end to the other and tie it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toddlers having free range with peanut butter? Hahaha! You are my hero for attempting such a craft.
    We have about a bazillion pinecones around our place. I've seen similar bird feeders, except using pinecones. Perhaps we will attempt to make one (read: mom spreads the PB while M sprinkles/douses the cone in bird seed)… Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear you are the MOST fun and creative mom! Where do you come up with all your ideas?! Instead of Pinterest, I'm just going to pin you! Or, er, you know what I mean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers look great! And what a fun craft idea! Definitely an add to the to do list. Once the robins go away because they take big dumps all over our deck and okay house. No. Thank. You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much fun! I have been wanting to do this with my boys... May try it this summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun, even though it didn't turn out perfectly! Kids love the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's messy as hell, baha ha! But those are the fun crafts mom!

    Yay for the flowers surviving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so fun!! I would love to make this, but sadly it would probably melt in the Arizona heat :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.