Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Disney Trip #13 - Magic Kingdom Mother's Day

Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #13 - Magic Kingdom Mother's Day
When Chris asked me what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, I said Disney right away! Relaxing and being fed sounded pretty good too, but I'll almost always choose magic over anything else. Besides we were at Magic Kingdom last year for Mother's Day. It is practically a tradition now. So, we got up bright and early, hit up Starbucks on the road, and nearly made it in time for the opening show. It actually ended right as we were going through the bag check. If we didn't have to pop over to the ticket booth to renew our passes officially we would have made it in time to see the show. Although we did get to see Casey Jr waiting to pull into the station with all the characters on it from the monorail, which was pretty magical.

We like to start the day off at either Fantasyland or Adventureland. Today it was Adventureland with a Mother's Day carnation in hand. Aria picked our to dos. First, up up up into the Treehouse. Then three spins on the Magic Carpets - I can't even tell you how many times we got water spit on this trip, a ton. A quick cheerio break followed by another trip up up up into the Treehouse. Since the Jungle Cruise was up to 40 minutes at that point I pulled the 'mother's day' card and took us over to Pirates of the Caribbean. Aria isn't a big fan, but since they are refurbishing this summer I wanted one last ride to hold me over until they open up again.
Swiss Family Treehouse, Adventureland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Swiss Family Treehouse, Adventureland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Adventureland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Adventureland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Adventureland, Tiki Misters, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Then we did something new to us - A Pirate's Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas. It is an interactive treasure hunt. There are up to 5 different maps, you use your magic band to activate the scenes, and we had 3 to 6 tasks per map. Chris and I loved it, and Aria was about 25% into it. There is no time limit so you can spread each map or task out as long as you would like. We did two full maps before breaking for lunch and a few attractions, and then when Aria was ready for a nap we did our third map. There were only three maps active that day. I think a slightly older child would really enjoy it. I didn't get a single picture because I video taped the whole thing. You can check that out below in a separate video from the main one. But, I wouldn't spoil the surprise if you plan on doing this treasure hunt yourself sometime.

So, we took a break from hunting treasure and ended up at Pecos Bill. Aria got the kids' grilled cheese plus fries grapes and a milk. I got a lemonade. Then Chris went over to the Golden Oak Outpost for two orders of fancy fries. Chris got the BLT waffle fries and I got the BBQ pork waffle fries. My fries may have knocked my original favorite thing I've eaten at Magic Kingdom to number two, they were that good. Top two for certain - the other is the nutella and fruit waffle at Sleepy Hallow. Not to mention we all had a completely filling lunch for under 30, which is practically a feat of strength on Disney property. Bonus points that I had a chill from the glorious air conditioning by the time we finished eating.

Then I handed over the activities reigns to Aria and she voted for a ride on the choochoo train followed by the Country Bears. About that point she was ready for a nap so we started on our third treasure map and before we were finished she was out cold in the stroller. It is too bad they didn't have all the maps up and running that day because Chris and I could have entertained ourselves with that while she slept. Instead we found a table in the shade, grabbed some waters, and put our feet up for a rest (Chris even cat napped).
Walt Disney World Railroad, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Walt Disney World Railroad, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
I finally learned to set the fastpasses for later in the day. Aria kept napping right when they started, so this time I remembered to set them for late afternoon. She woke up with thirty minutes to go on the first one, so it worked like a charm. Up first was the Little Mermaid ride. Then Aria picked ice cream from Storybook Treats followed by the Carrousel, Peter Pan, Small World, and the Carrousel again. I made us a fourth fastpass for Winnie the Pooh. Then Aria asked for a milk break followed by a spin on the tea cups, which could have been a bad idea after all that milk but with Aria controlling the spinning it worked out just fine. And, to end the day Aria wanted to play in the Dumbo playground for almost an hour while mom tried to sit on the child sized grand stands around the edges that are beyond uncomfortable. We finally talked her into doing the actual Dumbo ride...three times.
Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel, Fantasyland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Mad Tea Party, Fantasyland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Dumbo, Fantasyland, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
By the time we got off Dumbo it was getting dark and when I asked Aria if she wanted to do any more rides but she said she was sleepy. So with a soft pretzel, churro and Mickey ice cream bar in hand we made our way out of the park and to our car for the ride home. Another wonderful Mother's Day at Magic Kingdom - nothing better than spending the day with my partner in parenting and the one that made me a mother.

p.s. Aria said her favorite things from this trip were Dumbo and that she got to wear her lemon dress. We are on part 42 of the washing machine is broken saga. Chris has tried and tried and tried some more to fix it, but something is still wonky. Although after two weeks without being able to wash clothes Chris made it so we could at least soak and spin our clothes into something resembling clean. Desperate times guys. Point being that Aria didn't have her favorite princess dresses to wear for many days so when her lemon dress got semi washed she was super thrilled.

And, here are the two videos from this trip - the usual one plus the bonus pirate one!


Have a magical day!

16 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect Mother's Day!!!! I love reading your Disney posts. It makes me so excited for our trip in July. I am already thinking about which fast passes I am going to snag before we go. I am thinking Winnie the Pooh, Belle's Enchanted Tales, and meeting Cinderella and Rapunzel, thoughts??. Josephine is Rapunzel crazy right now; telling her she is going to have Rapunzel hair is the only way she will sit still long enough for me to do her hair. Aria likes the teacups? I didn't take her on them last summer because I thought she might sill be too little, but I am considering them this summer.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Mother's Day!!! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from our first ever Disney World trip. It's interesting to see so many more things you mentioned that we didn't do/know was there. Can't wait to go back and try some different things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous Mother's Day! Love your recap and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like another great Disney day! You guys did a lot! Everytime you write about the fries, it makes me so hungry. I hope that when we go that place is open, since I think it's one of those seasonal/only open at peak times places. I've never heard of that treasure map thing- sounds fun though! I am really impressed at how much Aria is able to go, go, go on your days at the parks. It'll be interesting to see how Reese does when our trip rolls around :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your videos! I actually tried to make a video a few weekends ago, but my movie program keeps crashing on me! :( boo. This looks like the perfect Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds and looks like a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous!! I keep telling Thomas that I want to go to disneyworld but he wants to wait until Ellie is 5 or 6 that way she can go in all the rides ...idk if I can wait that long!!!

    Happy Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would Think spending Mother's Day at Disney world is pretty much the only way to spend Mother's Day. I'm reeling over them refurbishing pirates!!! What are they doing to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry, what?! Those fries! YES PLEASE. I literally was HOPING you had a picture but I'm guessing you ate them so fast you didn't even have time to take a picture. YUM.
    I seriously think that would have been the funnest Mother's Day at DisneyWorld! Maybe one year I can convince Seth that I NEED to go there for Mother's Day and we can go together! A girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Disney on Mother's Day! I love Dland, but we don't have half the cool stuff you mentioned. The treasure hunt sounds perfect for naptime, and that opening show would be fun to watch. Not sure if we have anything like that here... I second what Liz said, those fries need pics next time! Glad you had a great Mother's Day, you deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoop whoop! Best Mother's Day activity is awarded to you!
    Lunch under $30 for THREE?! You totally scored! Last week it was just Marcus and me and lunch for just the two of us was $30. You made magic happen, for sure!
    I'm so impressed with all the rides Aria will go on/try. We're currently stuck on Dumbo and Autotopia on repeat. I mean, I can't even convince Marcus to go on the carousel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day for you. Awhoo hoo! I am so jealous of your many trips to Disney. :)

    Happy belated Mother's Day!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to spend Mother’s Day at Magic Kingdom! I can’t wait to be there…11 more days! Wahoo! The Pirate adventure sounds fun and like something Mason would enjoy! I think the Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed when we are there. Bummer! Love the pictures. Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like such a great day!!! I'd take Magic Kingdom AND all that yummy food!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could think of no better way to spend Mothers Day friend. What a fabulous, fabulous day.

    I hope the washing machine gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.