Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival

Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Our new Disney Annual Passes are broken in. We celebrated our 4th wedding Anniversary with a trip to Epcot. Out of the four wedding Anniversaries we've had, three of them have been spent at Disney's Epcot. We also spent our wedding day at Epcot, so four out of five if you count things that way. I sure hope we can keep up the tradition.

We got up, packed the car, and headed over to The Boardwalk resort so we could walk over to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. We love a walk along Disney's Boardwalk.
Disney's The Boardwalk
Disney's The Boardwalk
Disney's The Boardwalk
The goal of this trip was to try all the tasty eats at the Flower & Garden Festival booths. Normally we are pretty frugal when it comes to Disney food because it is definitely expensive, but we always like to splurge for the festivals at Epcot. Worth it!

When you enter through the International Gateway you are between the UK and France in the World Showcase. So, the plan was to head towards France and eat until we were stuffed.

First up - Confit de Canard, Pommes de Terre Sarladaise from Fleur de Lys. Or, duck and potatoes. This was in Chris' top two of the day, probably dropping into second place because he thought the potatoes were way too garlicky. I passed on it because I'm a terribly boring meat eater and it looked less than appealing.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Second up - Macaron Guimauve a la Fraise from Fleur de Lys. Or, strawberry marshmallow macaron. This one was up my alley and Aria's. If I had to pick between this one and the orange macaron version from last year's Flower & Garden, I'd go with the orange. But, I'd also take three of these. Yum.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Next - Cachapas con Queso from Botanas Botanico. Like, a corn pancake with cheese. I could only manage a couple bites. The taste was great, but the texture was killing me. Aria tried a single bite. So, Chris got to finish it off for us. He actually thought it was great.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then - Seafood Ceviche from Botanas Botanico. This one takes Chris' first place of the day. He said it was perfection, and wishes he had gotten seconds.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
While Chris was finishing up the pancake, I spotted Belle just across the way. I asked Aria if she wanted to go meet Princess Belle, and she said no at first then changed her mind. As soon as it was our turn she turned super shy. She didn't utter a word, and she wouldn't even look at Belle. That is definitely Aria though, she takes a bit to warm up. But, Belle was great! The face characters always do such a wonderful job. She just spit fired questions and I'd give Aria a couple seconds before answering for her. Belle invited her over to the castle library to pick out a book anytime. As we were leaving Aria kept waving and saying bye!!! Then she was just super animated about the whole thing, and kept talking about how she met a princess. It was my favorite moment of the whole trip, and Aria is still mentioning that she met the princess from Beauty and the Beast. 
Meeting Princess Belle at Disney World
Meeting Princess Belle at Disney World
Next up, more food - Teriyaki Curry Bun from Hanami. I'm not a huge curry fan but I love the steamed buns filled with things so I was hoping it was really more teriyaki than curry. Boy was I wrong. It was disgusting. Aria ate some of the bun. Then Chris finished it off. It wasn't his favorite either, but edible.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then a repeat from last year - Frushi from Hanami. This was one of my favorite desserts of the day. It is light and fruity and not too sweet with just the slightly odd texture of rice. And, Aria ate one of the rolls too, but mainly all the whipped cream and sauce drizzle.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Also - Strawberry Nigori from Hanami. Like, creamy sake with strawberries. I'd put this in the meh category. I thought it would be way better but it was just okay.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Next up - Smoked Debreziner Sausage from The Smokehouse. Delicious. The Smokehouse was my favorite booth. Out of the three meat options the sausage ranked third, but I would definitely get it again.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then - Pulled pig slider from The Smokehouse. Chris ate the majority of this one because I was too full. Second place for me of the three meat options. Great flavor.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Last for the first round of eating - Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash from The Smokehouse. This one was my favorite of the day. It paired especially well with the awesome mac and cheese from the Liberty Inn, which might be my second favorite mac and cheese on Disney property if you'd believe it. Chris got it for Aria, but she just wanted her french fries so we ate it. Yum. But, back to the brisket...delicious. I wish I would have had room for more of it at the time. Aria and I washed it all down with one of my favorite drinks - The American Dream, you can get them at the Fife and Drum. Basically America was nailing it this trip.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
After we were all perfectly stuffed I turned over the itinerary to Aria. She picked coloring a Duffy stick. One of the other little girls at the table took a fancy to her and helped her get markers. Aria was completely oblivious to the attention, but said thank you each time a marker was offered.
Coloring Duffy at Epcot's Kidcot Station at the American Adventure
Then we had a dance party by the flowers.
Dance Party at The American Adventure
On our way over to Future World for some rides, Aria spotted a playground and got incredibly excited. So she got out of her stroller and played for what felt like ages under the stifling tent. I would have killed for a breeze, but she had a blast.
Disney Playground
Disney Playground
Disney Playground
She finally decided we could move on to some rides, starting with Figment.
Figment
Then the Nemo ride, which broke down right as we were getting in line so we went around to the back to see the aquariums instead. 
The Seas with Nemo
pst. This is from our Epcot Anniversary trip last year!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
The Seas with Nemo
The Seas with Nemo
We watched the dolphin (to the left of Aria's head).
The Seas with Nemo
"Where'd it go, mama?"

When we saw that the clams were moving again we trotted back around to the front for our turn on the ride. Then we did Living with the Land, which Aria fell asleep in my lap on. She slept for about an hour while we walked around the Mouse Gears shop. I drooled over all the tiny princess dresses. I never paid them much attention before because Aria wasn't into the princesses until recently. But, now I have my fingers crossed she wants to be Princess something or other for Halloween this year.

We took a quick trip on Spaceship Earth before heading back to the World Showcase heading towards the Mexico side...

First up - Pineapple Soft Serve with Coconut Rum from Pineapple Promenade. This one takes the top place in desserts in my book. Chris thought it was gross, but he is nuts. I'm one of the few that does not like the Dole Whips, but add coconut rum? Best thing ever.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then - Ghost Pepper-Dusted Tilapia from Urban Farm Eats. Another of Chris' faves. He says the fish is good but the slaw it sits on makes it incredible. I don't eat fish so I didn't try it.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Next - Flan de queso con chocolate Abuelita from Jardin de Fiestas. Or, Mexican chocolate custard. It was so good, but I could not even finish it. It was so light but rich at the same time. Aria helped eat the whipped cream for me though.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then - Vegetable Spring Roll from Lotus House. We actually got two orders of these because I didn't want to share. You can certainly find equally yummy spring rolls elsewhere, but the sauce was top notch.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Next - Kung Pao Chicken Bun from Lotus House. I was hesitant to try it because I thought it would be spicy, but it wasn't at all. It was okay in my book, nothing to write home about. When we were doing the egg hunt the weekend before I got the Oolong Peach Bubble Tea from Lotus House, and I'm kicking myself I didn't have room for another this trip because it was so good. The candied strawberries...also good. So Lotus House and The Smokehouse are my two favorite booths this trip.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
Then onto - Fior di Latte, Prosciutto e Pane di Casa from Primavera Kitchen. Or, mozzarella and prosciutto pinwheel with bread. Aria stole one of the bread pieces. I was too full for a single thing more, but Chris really enjoyed this one.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
And, lastly - White Corn Arepa from Botanas Botanico. This was Chris' least favorite try of the day, he didn't even finish it and he is not one to waste food. I thought it sounded good myself, but again I could not eat another thing.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Disney Trip #12 - Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival
And with that we came full circle. Although, technically we skipped the UK and Canada, but they didn't have any festival booths. We ate and ate and ate some more. Aria got to get in a few rides and a fun playground visit, plus meet a princess! Another wonderful Epcot Anniversary trip.

As we were walking back through the International Gateway it started to rain, so we decided to boat back to the Boardwalk. The rain was over after 4 minutes or so. That's Florida for you. Then as we were walking back to our car we saw a gold Ferrari. Chris said it was a Ferrari, I had no clue. All I know is...I want one. I actually took a little video of it as we were walking past, which brings me to the video for this trip! And, if you want to see the Ferrari it is all the way at the end - the very last clip :)


Have a magical day!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That looks like so much fun! It must be great to be able to visit Disney often! All that food looks amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about your Disney trips, as always :) You guys tried a lot! I agree with you though, the Smokehouse sounds like it was a good booth. What makes the American mac n cheese different from the other stuff they serve in the parks? Those spring rolls look soooo good and I have yet to try a macaroon. That's on my list for when we get to Epcot :) I love that you've spent your anniversaries there; a great way to celebrate in my opinion! How long were you actually there that day? I'm impressed at Aria's climbing ability on that playground too. Reese is not that adventurous :) Great video and I'm with you on that car- I have never seen a gold Ferrari but wow that was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that look sooo fun! I remember when I was 14 and my family went to Disney for the first time. I truly believe that it is magical at any age! I can't wait to go again as a mom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you guys had such a fun and full day!! All that food looks beyond delicious - must have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy wow, that's a whole lot of food. My goodness. Gosh, I am so jealous that you are so close to Disney that you can have annual passes. I wanna come. Looks like an amazing time & I'm so jealous...especially since y'all got to meet Belle. She's awesome! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all that amazing food! So jealous! Glad you had a wonderful anniversary trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a fabulous day. Amazing food and meeting a Disney princess especially Belle is top notch in my books. I am a Dole Whip fan but I have never had it with rum. They definitely don't do that in California. haha. I bet it would be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When the day comes we make it to Disney World, I will hit you up and you can be our tour guide :) You just spoke to my inner foodie with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as I saw that you had gone to Disney, I thought, oh another video! I was telling my husband about your videos and saying how much I loved watching them and think we should do that, and he said then just do it...now to just do it. Do you use a camera or your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love living vicariously through you! So during the festivals you have to pay for the foods or are they samples? I know you said yall splurge a bit for the festivals but just want to double check.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read this post while eating a salad :( What I really want now is some frushi and macarons! There was way too much deliciousness in this post. And I love that Aria met bookish Belle, I love that version compared with princessy Belle, and I don't think I've ever seen Belle wandering around Dland. Definitely jealous of your guys' day. Looks like a fabulous anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh m y goodness, all that delicious food... drooling over here! We are also usually pretty frugal when it comes to food at the Disney Resorts, so it's always fun when we get to splurge for a special occasion. :)
    Look at all those fun memories your're making with Aria! I think that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know about that festival. Sounds great. I go each year for the Food & Wine Festival. I love the kiosks with food from around the world. Small plates are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This. Is. Amazing. We will be there for Food & Wine this year again and I'm stoked. I love drinking around the world! And the boardwalk yes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! Happy Anniversary! We're hitting Epcot this year. My husband and I haven't been to Disney since we were pre-teens. I'm beyond excited.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No joke it is 9:36pm and I am super hungry now! All those foods look so good! Sucks to hear some of them we're good. But what a fun way to do Epcot... eating! I wish they had that at Disneyland. I mean, I'm sure I could buy 10 food items and eat different things but it would cost me over $100 LOL. My favorite place is the chocolate shop and the bread shop that give stuff away for free. I would go in a million times if I could get a way with it.
    Sounds like you guys had a fabulous anniversary though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is like the coolest anniversary trip ever friend. All of that food has me kind of dying a bit to. So hungry now. Holy smokes oh how things can change in just a year. Aria looks all full blown toddler now. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best anniversary tradition, ever!
    There isn't 1/100th of the food options at DL, and I always joke I go to eat my way through that place. I'd go bananas at WDW! As for the Pineapple Soft Serve with Coconut Rum, I'll take a dozen of these, please.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You guys do Disney right! love all of the pictures. I second what Desiree said about the pineapple softserve, Holy yum! And I love that Aria met Belle!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary, Chris and Courtney!!!! We so enjoyed this post, your magical (& delicious!) pics, and super fun video!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :) Can I come along when Aria takes Belle up on her invitation to the castle library? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.