Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Top 7 Literary Males

Do you sometimes get so caught up in a book that you forget just for a minute that these characters and their lives are not real? When a book is great and then it ends I'm still hanging on to the story for several days afterwards. A book hangover. There is a big difference between a book you enjoy in the moment and a book that sticks with you after you close it's pages. Sometimes those dashing male characters are the ones that stick around. Here are my top 7 favourite literary males.

Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
I think he might make everybody's favourite list. The first and one of the few books that I have read multiple times. I love the change of heart, the stolen glances, the misread motives. Tall, dark, handsome...reserved...heart of gold.

Matthew Clairmont from Deborah Harkness's All Souls Trilogy.
He is a vampire for one, that always adds to the appeal. He is protective to a fault. Smart, strong, knows his wine, does yoga, can dance. What more could you want?

Jace from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.
He is young, sexy, and a badass. But, my favourite bit is his sharp tongue, and sarcastic humor.

Barrons from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series.
Menacing and sexy. Temperamental and protective. Also, a badass.

Peeta from Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games trilogy.
The sweet sensitive and selfless soul. "You could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him." Anybody else want to just throttle Katniss for her reluctance to really see Peeta?

 Jamie from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.
Poor Jamie. I'm nearly done with this book, but man he just can't catch a break. Sexy, great smile, and that accent...

 Monk from James Rollins' Sigma Force series.
He is the teddy bear of the bunch. Smart and tough, but funny and loveable. 

Who makes your list for favourite literary male?

22 comments:

  1. I ken what you mean about Jamie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strong male protagonist always makes a good story...better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I so forget that they are just characters...I think that is one of the best signs of a great book! I have only read 2 of the books you listed but the others have me intrigued! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list, guys in books are wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie!! Glad you're enjoying it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful list of literary men! Though I havent read any of these titles but Pride and Prejudice, just having an Austen heart throb gives it two thumbs up ;)
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Jericho Barrons! I thought I was going to hate the Fae Fever series because I never read anything like it, but I ended up reading every book in the series. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list! Absolutely loved the Hunger Game books and Peeta is such a warm and sweet soul :)
    Linh
    http://abeautifulrawr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm currently reading Game of Thrones, so I've got a bunch of those male characters on my hot list at the moment. But that may also be because I've seen the show, and hello Khal Drogo ;)

    Have you watched the Outlander series? My mom is obsessed, and constantly talks about the characters like they're real and I'm supposed to know who they are. I haven't read/watched it yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, Mr. Darcy... Be still my beating heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Team Peeta alllll the way! Always have been.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My best friend has been nagging me to read the Outlander and constantly talks about Jamie -- and lately I feel like I'm seeing more and more people talk about it (& the movie). Perhaps its time to pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read any of these before, but I knew when I saw your title that Mr. Darcy would be on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a awesome list of goodies. I totally think I need to grab a few for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soo many great books on this list!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this list! Totally agree with your choices. I don't know Monk and Barron yet but I think I may just have to see if I can get acquainted with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red34\green34\blue34;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

    \f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Haha book hangover! I totally know what you mean! Jamie - outlander ahhhh - I just love him! He gets better the more of the series you read! Would you hate me forever if I said I've never read pride & predujuice? I hear all about "mr Darcy" but I have no idea. I just watched movie 1 of Hunger games and Peeta was a great character I can only imagine he'll grow more. I might have to read the books. might. I have this childess avoidness of trendy books :)}

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I need to read Outlander. I'm with you on Peeta though, although Liam Hemsworth in the movie is pretty hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've only read a little bit of the Game of Thrones series - too hard for me to follow, too many characters to follow. Anywho, I would say Tyrion Lannister from there. He's amazing in the show but the what I've read of the books & what people tell me who had patience for those books, he's even better in the books. Such a great lil guy. :)

    I also agree with your picks on Jace & Peeta especially Peeta.

    Excellent post!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.