Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Disney Trip #9 - 2 for 1, Animal Kingdom & Magic Kingdom

Our first trip to Disney of 2015! Naturally we picked the only busy weekend in January. If you don't get the day off does it really count as a holiday? Either way we had no idea it was a three day weekend when we asked Aria if she wanted to go to Disney the next day. She get super excited about the whole thing and then we realized it was going to be busy. Oh well, we went anyways. Can't disappoint our best little lady.

We ended up making really good time on the drive over after a slow start to the morning. No matter how early I wake up it still takes me twenty minutes longer than anticipated. I blame Baxter really and his need for cone free supervision in the morning while he eats his dog food and the providing of medication. He really knows how to eat his food slowly. But, we made good time anyway and once we got in the park we headed back to the Safari.
Animal Kingdom, Safari Ride
Aria kept chanting elephants half the time, and butt the rest of the time. We did see several animal butts so it was fitting.
Animal Kingdom, Safari Ride
Then we debated if Aria would sit still for a thirty minute showing of The Festival of the Lion King for a while before biting the bullet and giving it a shot. She was slightly disgruntled that we were in the giraffe section rather than the elephant section, but seriously loved about 2/3rds of the show. The jumping monkeys were a huge hit. She cheered and laughed and clapped and jived on my lap for more than half of the show and then when she couldn't sit any longer she danced on the little spot in front of her seat. While it didn't hold her complete interest for the entire time, she really seemed to enjoy most of it.
Animal Kingdom, Festival of the Lion King Show
By that time we were all hungry so we headed over to Pizzafari for lunch. Aria enjoyed everything but her pizza - yogurt, grapes, bread sticks, and apple juice. She insisted on doing the yogurt herself and only got it half all over the place, but not a drop on her pants so total win in my book. We also picked the perfect time to eat because the line was out the door as we were leaving.
Animal Kingdom, Pizzafari
Chris took Aria over to see the fish, which she was apparently super excited to see, while I cleaned off all the bits and bobs in the bathroom.
Animal Kingdom, Fish
Then we gave Aria her choice of an animal trek or the play ground. She picked the play ground.
Animal Kingdom, Boneyard
She ran and climbed and slid all over the place.
Animal Kingdom, Boneyard
Animal Kingdom, Boneyard
After a while she needed a fresh diaper so we took a water break. On the way from the bathrooms we walked right into a dance party with the racoon from Pocahontas and the bad guy (clearly I'm on top of my Disney character names), the funny gorilla from Tarzan (the one with Rosie's voice I think), and Thumper. Random? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. Aria got into it and was dancing around the sidelines and then the gorillas spotted her and talked her into dancing with her...him?..for about half a minute. I caught it all on the video below. That is one of my favourite things about Disney, all the side shows and street performances and extras. Always something magical happening.

Then we took a quick ride on the triceratop spin.
Animal Kingdom, Triceratop Spin
Before popping back to the play ground. This time on the 'sand' pit side, which to my pleasure isn't sand but tiny rocks instead. So much better. Aria could have stayed there all day digging. But, it was getting well into nap time and I had an idea. I asked her if she wanted to head over to Magic Kingdom for the rest of the night. She just stared at me. Then I told her that is where the horse ride is, and immediately she was down. We got all cleaned up and I tucked her into her stroller with the hopes that she'd pass out on the walk to the car, which she did. And, she didn't wake up when I plunked her into her car seat either.
Animal Kingdom, Boneyard
She took a great nap, at least an hour. Next thing she knew we were at Magic Kingdom and on our way to the Mermaid ride. I snagged us some fastpasses thankfully because even the fastpass line was long, almost 15 minutes. She was a little freaked out when we went past the eels this time. She's been such a fearless kid, but she's starting to realize that some things scare her a little bit. The rest she loved though.
Magic Kingdom, The Little Mermaid Ride
Then we went on her beloved horses, before getting ice cream for dinner. When at Magic Kingdom, right? The timing could have been a little better by the time we finished eating the sun was setting and the chill was coming back. I personally was an ice cube, but well worth it.
Magic Kingdom, Carrousel
Next up was the Winnie the Pooh ride where we had a lot of fun bouncing with Tigger and she was particularly interested in the carrots in the queue.
Magic Kingdom, The Winnie the Pooh Ride
And, our last fastpass was for Small World. She actually remembered it as we were walking past and called out small world. Too right you are. She changes with every trip we get to take to Disney. She was remembering more things, and she was much more excited about the rides this time, and also having a little bit of fear with the eels. She's always been fine on the Haunted Mansion but we haven't been on it for a few months now, so I'm thinking she'd rather us skip that one for the time being.
Magic Kingdom, Small World
It was still early enough that we could have stayed but the lines were all stupidly long and we couldn't get another fastpass for close to an hour, and even the horses ride had a line way further than we cared to wait. What can you do? So we made our way back to the car and headed for home. We all had a chat about all the things we had done that day, and it tickled me to no end that Aria was shouting out about elephants and mermaids and horses. I love that she can remember things now. She even woke up the next day asking about elephants, and when we ran out on an errand she asked Disney? Sadly no, just Target. Soon. And, this time we will check the crowd calendars first.

And, here is the video from our trip. Definitely one of the shorter ones, but the Festival of the Lion King snippet and dance party bit are some of my favourite moments!


Thanks for joining us on another fun filled Disney recap!

27 comments:

  1. Can I have arias life? Oh my gosh what a lucky little girl! As soon as I leave Disney I too am plotting my next visit which sadly, may not be for another year. Such fun you can pop on over. And the kids remembering things kills me! I still stop dead in my tracks when Letty mentions something that happened TWO years ago and I'm all wow. How???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go to Disney!!! Hehe. So much fun I always love looking at you Disney trip recaps but they always make me so envious that you can just pop over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! I want to go!!! hahaha. Your daughter is adorable, btw. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous that you get to go so often! I want to take Hallie! Not that she'd remember it though! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like your daughter is having a blast!!! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun!! I am plotting and planning a Disney trip right now, hoping to have a great as time as you guys had :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait till my boys are old enough to go! So fun you guys get to go so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you guys live so close to make these frequent trips! How magical for Aria!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Disney so much!! I'm obsessed. I live so far away though I haven't been in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous of all your WDW trips. Aria is so lucky!
    Ice cream for dinner? OBVIOUSLY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun! I bet she's having a great time. You guys are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Disney! I've been twice and both as an adult, but you better believe I turned into an excited little girl when I saw the Disney Princesses for the first time. I've told my husband that once we have kids, we need to start saving because we are going to have the full Disney experience. The Animal Kingdom is the one park I've barely spent any time at. It looks like you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so fun there! I hope to take our kids someday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember my Disney trips as a child and I love looking back at pictures! I can't wait to have kids and take them there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like so much fun. You are the second or third person I have seen that has gone to Disney recently. I want to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Animal Kingdom when I went, it is such a gorgeous park! Isn't it the best feeling to be a parent and be able to give our kids experiences like this?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! We weren't the only ones who picked the worst weekend in January to go to Disney ;) Not only was it a holiday weekend, but they had their Star Wars marathon that day too. Double fail. Thankfully we also got a late start that morning, so we got there ten minutes before they re-opened the roads, otherwise I'm sure we would have just been sitting in traffic for an hour trying to park. They had Haunted Mansion and Small World closed to take down all the Christmas decorations - two of my faves. And as a result the Pirates line was literally winding through all of New Orleans square. I've never seen it that long before. Madness.

    Looks like you guys had a great time despite the crowds. The nice thing of having a pass is that you don't have to try to do every single thing and stay from open till close because you can just come back another day :) Also, ice cream for dinner is totally acceptable at Disney! (And fried dough, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. No joke... I'm just going to read your blog in place of spending way to much money going to Disney. I have access to it all right here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Magical! I love your Disney recaps. This looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are headed to Disneyland with Ellie next month - she will be 22 months. What are some tips and tricks you can pass my way to make sure that we all have a good time? I know we are bringing a stroller, with cup holders, but anything else you think is a must have or must do?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute little girl! And how lucky, I'm almost 30 and haven't gone to Disney. She looks like she had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see you and the family had a great time. We are hoping to take our kids in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like it was a really great day despite being a holiday. I wish I lived close enough to go more often. Well, or at all since I haven't made it to WDW yet. We are headed down to Disneyland in May for the 8th time. So I probably shouldn't complain too much. I just wish I lived down the street and could hop, skip or jump over with my annual passport anytime. Oh, and I love the Winne the Pooh ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ice cream for dinner? Can I please hang out with you guys?? Honestly, I would kill for some ice cream right now, even if I had to eat it for dessert. I'm on the hunt for ice cream I can eat and I think I found some - they call it banana ice cream - aka blended frozen banana with cinnamon on top - but hey, I'll take it!
    You're posts make me want to go to Disney World SO bad. Seriously, I need to take a trip and call you up and you can show us the best spots! SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love love love Disney! and it looks like you had such a good time! We've gone at least once a year for the last several years. It gets even better as the kids get older!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How exciting! Your daughter is so adorable. Can't wait to take my little princess when she's older :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a fun day, despite the crowds. I love that you can take her so often and that she remembers rides! It's crazy to me how kids at this age are literally sponges. They pick up on so much! I'm not a fan of sand either, so I'm happy to hear the play area is little rocks :) Great video, as always- still very jealous of your sunny and warm weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.