Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Day in the Life - Winter edition

Our day: Monday,  January 19th, 2015 - Aria is 2 years and 1 month old.

7:40 am | I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I check Aria's monitor, she is still asleep. I play Candy Crush, check FB, and scroll through IG until 8. If I don't fiddle on my phone then I fall right back to sleep.

8:00 am | I spontaneously decide that today should be my day in the life documenting day, so I grab my camera and open up my laptop so I can keep track of times and events. Baxter came over for a chin scratch since he is still in his cone of shame and can't do it himself. Aria is awake by this point, and I go in to her room to collect her from her crib.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

8:06 am | I finally convince Aria to let me pick her up. Then we feed the dogs and the cat. I have to monitor Baxter while he eats since his cone is off and I don't want him to bother his stitches - he had a tumor removed, something about extra testosterone. I guess he was just too masculine. After both dogs finish their food, we let them outside.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

8:19 am | Aria didn't get a wash all weekend since time seemed to just slip away, so we start the day with a shower. I leave Lizzy outside because she prefers to lounge on the porch for hours on end. It is hair washing day too. Sad faces because we are dirty.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

9:00 am | We hop out of the shower. Happy faces because we are all clean!
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

9:09 am | Aria is dressed.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

9:13 am | She collects her mermaid book and takes it to great grandma to read to her while I fix her a sippy of milk.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

9:21 am | I leave Aria to her mermaid enjoyment while I fold some laundry, get dressed, and then gather up all the dirty laundry. I don't usually do laundry over the weekend, or anything else that is boring and chore-like. That also means there is normally a ton of laundry to do by Monday.

9:22 am | I start a load of laundry.

9:26 am | I got myself a cup of water, and gave Baxter his medicine - thankfully he is almost done with two of his three pill bottles. Shoving pills down a dog's throat twice a day is not my idea of fun. I sit down to drink some water.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

9:27 am | Baxter lets me know he wants some water now so I get back up and take his cone off so he can get a drink. Then I switch him and Lizzy on the outside leash.

9:29 am | I sat back down because Aria is still reading her mermaid book with great grandma. But, she decides to come sit on me instead and play with my phone.

9:32 am | I pry the phone away in exchange for the promise of strawberries for breakfast, and then get up to get them ready.

9:43 am | We sit down to a breakfast of strawberries, bananas and toast.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

10:05 am | Aria starts shouting funf at her bananas. German for five. She's been very into counting lately, English and German just for fun. Funf is her favourite. She doesn't like three in either language.  one....two....vier...funf.

10:08 am | She's done eating now. So I wash her up.

10:13 am | Aria decides she'd like to play in great grandma's bedroom so she drags her down the hall. I continue to wash up from breakfast - high chair, dishes. The dish washer is full enough to start.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

10:17 am | I take advantage of Aria being occupied to vacuum the house. Also something I don't do over the weekend, so by Monday the dog hair is getting extreme.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

10:43 am | Done vacuuming. Much better. I refill my water and check on Aria. She is looking out the window into the woods by the side of the house shouting for Manny - our armadillo visitor.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

10:48 am | I heard the washer beep that it was done, so I switched it to the dryer and put in a load of towels. Then I sat down to drink my water and scroll through IG before pondering what to make for lunch.

10:59 am | I landed on fish and green beans, easy. I gave the pans a rinse and prepped everything. Then I had a whole ten minutes to read Outlander.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

11:10 am | Pull myself away from Outlander and make lunch.

11:31 am | Lunch is ready. Aria came out from great grandma's room at some point, so after a diaper change we go out front to wait for dad to pull up from work.

11:37 am | Chris arrives. Somewhat later than usual. Just by a few minutes.

11:37 am | We had some cracker popper tubes leftover/forgotten from Christmas so I give one to Chris and Aria to pull. Hardest things to pull apart. It had a little snowman notebook in it.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

Chris washes her hands, which she is completely not thrilled about.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

Then we eat lunch. Aria likes to only eat the little beans inside of green beans.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

11:55 am | Aria and I wave Chris back to work, and then I wash her up.

11:57 am | Aria wants to watch the Sofia episode with the mermaid - The Floating Palace, so I put it in for her while I clean up from lunch.

12:05 pm | I hear the laundry beep that it is done again. I bring in the clean clothes, put the towels in the dryer, and start a load of dog towels. Then I go sort and fold the clean clothes.

12:18 pm | Aria calls me and asks for some water since she polished off her morning milk. Baxter wants some water too. I oblige both, and then get back to my laundry.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

12:23 pm | Done with the laundry, and I even put it away.

12:26 pm | I decide it is time for an iced coffee. I make myself the iced coffee and curl up on the couch with Outlander while Aria watches Sofia. Normally we take a shower after lunch, but since we already got that out of the way in the morning she just watches extra Sofia.

1:33 pm | Aria's last episode is over, so I mark my place in Outlander and we get ready for nap time. Aria doesn't complain about it today. Sometimes she is a wee monster about the whole thing. Like a diaper change and sleep shorts will kill her.

2:03 pm | I rocked her to sleep after three princess stories from the book she calls the mermaid book - it is really Princess Adventure Stories, and the singing of several carols. I fiddle on my phone until she is definitely asleep and then I lay her down in her crib. I reset her sounds on her sleep sheep and then tip toe out the room.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

2:10 pm | I decide to thaw out some soup I had in the freezer, leftover ham and cheese chowder. I don't much care for fish so I didn't eat anything with Chris and Aria.

2:30 pm | Soup is ready, plus bread. I curl back up on the couch with soup and Outlander.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

3:33 pm | I decide to stop reading since Chris will be home from work soon. I switch the laundry and clean up my dishes.

3:45 pm | I go wake up Aria.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

Baxter has a follow up vet appointment so I get her dressed. Chris is going to drop us off at Barnes and Noble while he takes Baxter to his appointment. Aria and I do a loop around the store, then play with the trains, then do another loop around the store, then play with the trains, and as we are on our next loop around the store Chris finds us. Since we finished up all the Harry Potter books the day before, I let Aria pick out a Children's book that we can read before bed. She picks The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. My guess is she picked it because it is orange, her favourite color. (I think I might have a permanent accent by the time I'm done reading it though...)
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

5:04 pm | We get back home, and Chris quick starts the grill for dinner.

5:10 pm | Chris runs to the store for milk and sausages. Aria and I do another popper. This one had a crown in it that Aria ripped apart in three seconds and a tiny magnifying glass.

5:25 pm | Chris is back from the store, and I put away the milk while he and Aria go tend the grill. I hear a lot of 'no, Aria don't touch that it is hot'.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

5:40 pm | Aria needed a new diaper, and then she grabbed her mermaid book for great grandma to read to her again. I go fold towels and put them in the bathroom.

5:48 pm | I refill my water, and then decide rum sounds better. I make a coconut rum with pineapple juice, and I make Aria a virgin one. She thought it was delicious and chugged it. I nursed mine for the next 4 or so hours.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

5:56 pm | Chris brings in food fresh from the grill so I collect Aria for a hand washing.

6:02 pm | We sit down to sausages and chicken thighs and peas.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

6:30 pm | Finished with dinner. Aria gets cleaned up and then rides her also clean high chair back to its spot by the table. We love that it has wheels. Aria runs around causing chaos while Chris and I empty the dish washer and fill it up again. Then we say good night to great grandma and head down the hall for story time.

7:35 pm | I finish up reading a few chapters of Huckleberry Finn and then Aria and dad spin a few times. We sing a few carols and whatever misc. songs come to mind before kisses and good nights.
Sweet Turtle Soup - A Day in the Life - Winter edition

7:48 pm | Chris goes back to work. I clean up a few things, gather and put away mainly. I grab out the dog towels so Baxter has something to sleep on. He can't fit in his cage to sleep anymore with the cone on, so he sleeps on his towels at the foot of our bed.

7:55 pm | I remember that I didn't scoop the cat's litter yet so I take care of that and get him fresh water too. Scooping cat poop is one of my least favourite things ever.

8:02 pm | I wash my hands thoroughly and then put on jammies before crawling into bed to work on a post.

8:29 pm | Aria is still tossing and turning, but hasn't called out for me. I keep working on my post.

9:24 pm | I notice that Aria is asleep now, and I'm done with my post so I catch up on some blog reading. Aria just recently started going to sleep at night on her own again. Knock on all the wood.

10:11 pm | Time to let the dogs out and give Baxter his medicine. Then I work on catching up on emails.

11:07 pm | Too tired to wait for Chris to come home from work - he gets home a little before midnight. I close up shop and call it a night. Zzz...

The end.

Joining up with Navigating the Mothership.

For the rest of my Day in the Life posts click here!

30 comments:

  1. exchange your water for coffee and 2 year old for an infant and that sounds similar to my day! I am definitely doing one of these posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to share a day. I love Aria's kitchen!! It's pink and beyond adorable. Oh and if only I actually knew how to make a drink there are definitely a few days when rum would sound amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I thought that the last time you did one of these posts and I have yet to do one myself #fail. Does Aria shower with you? I have tried to get my girls in the shower... they just aren't fans AT ALL, sigh. Probably should have exposed them to it earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely understand playing on your phone to not fall asleep! I have to do that too. Has Great Grandmother always lived with you guys? I didn’t know that before. And Chris was to the store and back in less than 15 minutes? Do y’all have a store nearby? The nearest store to us takes about 12 minutes to get there. Aria seems like such a good little eater. Is there anything she doesn’t like? Mason is the pickiest kid on the planet! He wouldn’t touch peas with a ten foot pole! Seriously! I wish he would, though! Does Chris always work a split shift? Is that enough questions for one post? Ha! I learned so much from your day!! I need to do this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a productive day! I'm impressed that your laundry actually goes into the dryer and comes back out on the same day. I've yet to get my act that together ;)

    We love the trains at B&N too! Such a great setup for kids.

    I'm jealous by how much Aria sleeps at night. Although I guess Ez naps longer, so it all balances out in the end. Haven't decided if I'm willing to give up naptime for more sleeptime at night... I love naptime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog and glad I came across it on The Blog Love Project! Aria is SO adorable and poor little Baxter. When our pup was in a cone it was bittersweet, we felt bad but he was so damn cute!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to do the same with my phone in the mornings. Either that or turn on the TV, but that's not really an option when Stella is still asleep. DON'T WAKE THE BABY! ;)

    Ya' know orange is a sign of genius! I was pretty stoked the other day when Wyatt picked out the orange Hot Wheels. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a really full day. I kept wondering, when are they going to eat breakfast? And then breakfast was finally eaten and then lunch came like 2 seconds later, haha. :) You make such a healthy lunch, funny that you didn't have any. My son's favorite color is orange too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these types of posts. I still have yet to do one though... oops. I need to find a B&N near us; Reese would love that train setup! I'm glad that Aria seems to be sleeping better lately. It seems that bad dreams have come to our house :( The past week or two, Reese will start crying hysterically or yelling 'no!' and it's so sad. Thankfully it doesn't happen every night, but I really hope it's a short-lived thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love these posts. So much work to do them, but always worth it. What a great day you guys have. I'm so jealous that you get to spend the whole day with her and also READ! That's amazing! Now I want to quit my job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading these posts! One of these days, I need to do one too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun blog post! Love all the snapshots...and my tummy is grumbling after seeing your yummy soup! ;) lol. Thanks for sharing a day in the life of your sweet family :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW go super mom! Looks like you had a fun and full day!
    -{AmandaMade}-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel robbed we didn't get to hear more about manny the armadillo visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my what a smart little girl counting in two languages!!! Funf is my favorite as well girl. Well chosen. These posts are so fantastic. Six months or a year from now you'll forget what life was like with her at this stage. So special to document it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like how you did this post. I really felt like I was getting to know you and your family a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well isn't she adorable when she first wakes up! I'm still jealous every time when I read about how your husband gets to come home for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow! I'm just tired after reading about your day! That's a whole lot of stuff. Eeek!

    Poor Baxter in his "cone of shame". Tee hee!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanna come hang out with you for the day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You'll be so glad that you took the time to document your day this way! It is amazing how fast time flies and you think, "Oh, I'll remember that..." and then two days later its like... "What's my name?!" :) Especially with a toddler! What a fun day y'all had together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So interesting! I love reading about other people's days. Aria is adorable. How long did it take her to learn to use that sippy? Its the one where you bite it? We are having the hardest time finding a straw sippy that we like - but I'm wondering if she'll be able to figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel like my day revolves around laundry and dog walking, sparkled with meals, naps, and all the toys and plays.
    The cat litter - yep - the worst. One of the few things I do enjoy about pregnancy is that chore is delegated to Scott.
    And the rum and pineapple juice sounds absolutely heavenly. I'll be mixing one of those up in about 6.5 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, Aria is looking so grown up! Sounds like a busy day and such a fun way of recording it. Will be fun to look back on it when she's older too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahaha. Done with laundry and I even put it away. Funny you say that actually, I just did some laundry and went to put it in the dryer and surprise! There was some laundry from last weekend lol. So, you my friend, are a lot better than I!
    Also, I pretty much hate you for waking up 40 minutes AFTER I get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fish for lunch? That's a pretty fancy lunch Mrs! Also,!8' so impressed with the follow through involving the laundry! I'm lucky to finish ONE load every few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I wash it all, it just tends to sit in the dryer or the laundry basket. I hate folding.

    ReplyDelete
  26. laundry done and put away in the same day?! that's like super mom skills right there! Yay for falling asleep on her own at bedtime!!! Our Mondays sound so similar - laundry and chores I don't like to do on the weekend. Maybe next time I need to document a Monday! Grilling for dinner... man I wish winter would end! No summer just spring. I like spring and fall best. Summer is too hot. Did you see that I wrote a blog post and read one in the same day? Shocking I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That soup looks so good!

    I vacillate between doing no chores on the weekend and then having a bunch to do on Monday or trying to get a ton done on the weekend while I have an extra parent around to wrangle the kids. Basically neither option is good because chores are the worst :)

    Thanks for sharing - always nice as a Minnesotan to see sunshine pics in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, beautiful Aria ... she's seriously one of my favorite Internet kiddos. I think it's her adorable blonde curls. :) I second Laura's comment - always wonderful to see sunshine and green grass posts amongst the dreaded winter for us Minnesotans. Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.