Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2014 in Books

Sweet Turtle Soup: 2014 in Books
I am a reader. I love finding a great story or even just a silly fun story to fall right into. If I didn't love to blog as well I'd probably devour a book every couple of days. During my blog-cation I read 7. My goal for books in 2014 was 35. I only managed about 28, which is still awesome but I lost some book momentum after I kept borrowing lame book after lame book from the library. Books I thought I'd enjoy that were a total snooze or just aggravating - you know, where the main character is a total idiot.

I did, however, read some excellent books in 2014 too.

I plowed through James Rollins' Sigma Series finally catching up with his latest, The 6th Extinction that was released just last summer. I am a fan of Dan Brown's books so in a quest to find something similar I stumbled onto James Rollins. I thought the series started out a little slowly but by book 3 I was hooked. Fast paced, impossible situations, action and adventure with a story that weaves through history. I'm pretty sure his next one is due out next year, and I for one can't wait to get my hands on it.

I also finished off Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments Series. I have no problem admitting that I love a good young adult teenage girl book. They tend to make for funny fast reads, usually witty full of drama. Which brings me to Kiera Cass' The Selection Series. One of the little blurbs said it was the hunger games meets the bachelor. I'll admit the second one drove me a little nutty with the back and forth, but overall it was totally enjoyable.

I liked Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night and Jane Green's Bookends. Your typical chick lit type books. Usually a favourite genre of mine, but really let me down in 2014. These were the only two that made the cut.

I got I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith during the Mommy & Me Book Exchange and really enjoyed it. It was one of those books that I had to read slowly. One chapter at a time, mulling it over type of story. The writing style I really enjoyed - it is journal style, and I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed anything written that way before. It was also a period piece, which I adore. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan.

My favourite book of 2014 was the conclusion to Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy, The Book of Life. I loved it to pieces. I am a big fan of her story telling and writing style, and I love the supernatural fantasy aspect of it. The sexy vampire didn't hurt my enjoyment of it at all either. I got Chris to read it too back soon after Aria was born and he couldn't wait for me to finish this last one so he could dive in. I got first dibs because I discovered it. I'm not opposed to re-reading a book, but it isn't something I normally do. However, I will probably reread the whole set eventually. I've also reread Harry Potter from start to finish at least 4 times now, and Pride and Prejudice a dozen times.

I've set my 2015 goal for 35 again and I've got my fingers crossed I pick a bunch of winners to read this go around. I already have 3 under my belt that I finished during the blog-cation. And, I just snagged Diana Gabaldon's Outlander from the library. Everybody and their mother loves it, so I figured I really should see what all the fuss is about. I'm already loving it just 30 pages in. I have a feeling I'll be desperate to get my hands on the rest of the books as soon as I finish the first. Liane Moriarty and Jojo Moyes are also on my list, and I am sure I'll find another YA series too. Any recommendations for me? What books are on your to-read list this year?

You can follow along with me on goodreads here.

Happy reading!

21 comments:

  1. I have heard of not a one of these. It's always fun finding new books! I wish I could find time for 35... I think I got like 12... Sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks! I will have to try some of these this year! I am between books right now! Just finished the new Shopaholic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. Kinda wish I was a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of any of these, but I love reading, too! I unfortunately didn't meet my goal of 50 books for 2014 (clocked in at 43 books). I set the goal even higher for myself this year at 60... we'll see how that goes! Good luck with the reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Capture the Castle is my hands down, favorite book ever. I'm just about to reread it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Now I have to figure out which one to read first! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, a lot of these are new to me! Thanks for sharing. 28 books is pretty darn good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give me all the books!!! I literally just took a screen shot of your books. I'm always on the hunt for an awesome book. I've been into a lot of historical fiction books lately. If they're your thing try, The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Klein, The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom, and a historical non-fiction that I absolutely recommend EVERYONE reads is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, way to go girl! Reading more than two books every month is a lot when you've also got a toddler to entertain :) I keep hearing great things about I Capture the Castle, so maybe that'll be my next book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang girl! You read a lot! I was happy with my 11 books that I read for 2014...well, not really, I wish I could have read more but time only allows for so much reading & that's frustrating to me.

    I too enjoy YA novels & have read the City of Bones & have the next three in the series...I just have not had time to read them yet. I need to get on top of that!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I think I read 2 books all year. My goal for 2015 is five...and that's setting the bar pretty high!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You read so much! I maybe read 5 books last year, and that's being generous haha. The Harry Potter series is on my list for this year (I've never read them). I just finished The Maze Runner series, and if you like YA fiction, it's pretty good. Way better than Twilight but not as good as The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read a lot of YA fiction so I never heard of these books. That is a crazy amount of reading. I am reading 2 different books now. But very slow at it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read a single one that you've mentioned here. Looks like my bookshelf is going to expand even more. I'm hoping to read 30 books this year. If I read more, awesome but I know I can read at least 30.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa girlfriend! I'm impressed with all your reading! While I don't have time for reading, if I ever need a recommendation, I'm definitely referring back to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list! Have you read the Cinder series by Marissa Meyer? I just started Scarlett (the second.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I'm impressed you managed to read so many books! I'm aiming for one a month this year. Great recommendations though - I haven't really heard of many of these, but I will definitely read at least one of the ones you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of any of these books! I'll keep them in mind for my reading list this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list of books! I am just over 1/2 way through Outlander myself and loving it. I decided it was time to read it and see what all the fuss was about too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had more time to read books that are fun to read. I think I like the idea of a mommy & me baby exchange.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.