Friday, December 12, 2014

Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon: part two

If you missed part one you can find it here.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details

Part two is all about the details of Aria's 2nd Birthday Party!

Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
It was a dessert and appetizers spread. For the desserts we had: rice krispie treats (I was going to cut them all out like stars but I was over it after 3), soft-baked sugar cookies, and chocolate white chocolate cupcakes. (And not pictured) There was a hot cocoa bar with candy canes, 3 varieties of marshmallows, peppermint patties, whipped creme (that I never took out of the fridge or mentioned...oops), and vodka and baileys. It was however the best hot cocoa I've had in the crock pot.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party detailsAria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
For the appetizers we had: soft preztel bites, (and not pictured) chili's queso, two kinds of crock pot kielbasa - bbq and apple glazed, and fruit salad that never made it to the table (hostess fail).
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details

My personal favourite of the decorations I made for the party are these glittery clothespins. They are incredibly easy and make my heart happy with their pretty shininess.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 What you'll need: glitter (I used Martha's), a card to keep the glitter in one spot, double sided tape, scissors, hairspray and clothespins.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 Step one: stick a piece of double sided tape on your clothespin. Keep one edge of the tape flush with the edge of the clothespin.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 Step two: trim the overhanging tape with your scissors.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 Step three: pour some glitter on your card and press the tape side of the clothespin down into it. Wiggle it and press it down a few times to really coat it, and then tap the clothespin with your finger a few times to shake loose glitter off.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 Step four: check that there aren't any bare spots and then spray a light layer of hairspray on top of the glitter to keep everything in its place.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 Step five: admire, and then when you are done you can slide all the remaining glitter to the fold in the middle of your card and dump it back into your glitter bottle without getting glitter everywhere.

I used my glittery clothespins to hang up Aria's Month-Day Photo Banner. I decided to go all the way from 1 month to 24 months this year. I clipped the pictures on some string and then hung them on the wall with a butt-load of washi tape. I also tied the ends of the string to a couple pieces of tape so it wouldn't just slide out. The whole thing fell down a couple times anyway, so really the more tape the better. But as I was pondering this in my head for the post I thought huh, some command hooks might have just been all around easier and less fall-y.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details

I also made a pair of stars out of twigs from Aria's godfather's yard to hang from the entertainment center doors.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I didn't take any pictures of the process, but it was simple enough. You take your twigs and chop them into equal lengths, form a star shape, hot glue each point tip and let dry. Then wrap a piece of yarn around the hot glued tips and tie it off on the backside. And, finally dab a little more hot glue on each of the spots where the twigs cross in the center to keep it in a star shape. You can also wrap more yarn around those sections.

I found a roll of glitter paper at Michael's and ordered a star shape punch off Amazon. Then I cut out about infinity stars. My first project was to make a star garland for the tree.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I used fishing line and stapled each star to it. I did about 6 separate strands to keep it manageable, and then draped each on the tree. Now keep in mind the staples will not keep your star in one spot, they will slide. I didn't care enough to glue them in place, so after I draped I just made sure the stars hadn't slid together. It took much less time and effort than what I had mentally prepared myself for, always a win in my book.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I also hung some from the chandelier. But, since these needed to not slide I glued two stars together with the fishing line in between. I let them dry, and tied them to the chandelier.

And, since I had a ton of stars left I taped a bunch to the walls in the front room - you can see them in the picture of Aria's Month-Day Photo Banner.

Then, I made Aria a 'two' banner to go on her high chair.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I picked up three pieces of blue cardstock at joann's and I already had the oversized gold glitter letters in my craft box. I printed off a star shape template, cut out the star and then traced it onto my cardstock, and cut out three stars. I spelled out 'two' and then hole punched two of the star points in order to hang them from some twine.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I taped it to Aria's high chair and she promptly kicked the heck out of it.

Like I said in part one, there weren't many kids coming to the party (and only one other kid that was walking) so I didn't stress the entertainment. But, I thought a toss game would be simple good fun. If you get anything off of Amazon you probably have all the boxes ever stored away so this was completely free using things I already had on hand.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I painted my box blue. It took three coats by the way. Then using the same star template from the 'two' banner I had Chris cut out three stars. I grabbed three pieces of foil and rolled them into moon balls. Done. After I made it I also realized it would be a super cute 'stick your head in the hole' photo op too.

Leading up to the party I pinned a whole bunch of free 'star' and 'moon' printables, and of course my printer ran out of ink. So, I only managed to squeeze these two prints out of it and we did never make it to the store for more ink. My favourite one was the 'I love you to the moon and back' print, which of course wouldn't print out for me. But, I washi taped these two by the food and called it a day.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details

I'm slightly obsessed with giving out favors. It is totally not necessary, but I love putting them together. So sticking with the theme I picked up some star and moon treats - starburst, star crunch, and knock off moon pies (I'm telling you, we could not find moon pies...we went to 3 or 4 different stores on the day before Thanksgiving. And, to rub it in even more Chris saw a whole display of them not even a week after the party when he was picking up milk for Aria - it wasn't there before.)
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
I also stumbled across this 'guess the carol' game while getting ideas for the party. I printed out a bunch (before the printer ran out of ink) and added those to the bags too along with the answers, which I folded over and secured with tape to prevent accidental cheating. I personally love stuff like this and had fun doing it myself. Can you guess any?
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Then I whipped up a 'we're over the moon that you joined us' graphic to fold over the bags and staple shut.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details

And, since some family live too far away to make it to the party I thought I'd document the receiving of their generous gifts so they could see them being opened too.

Aunt Arianne, Uncle Ian, and baby Thad sent this surprise to Aria.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
A cookie set and her very own apron!
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
To say that she loves this play set is an understatement. We have 'cookies' baking in the oven almost 24/7 now. 
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
No worries though she always uses her oven mitt!
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Thank you Aunt Arianne, Uncle Ian, and baby Thad!

Granny Yia-Yia sent Aria this surprise that she found under the tree after her nap.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
 It's a Sofia DVD!
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
And, an alphabet puzzle!
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
This is the face she made when I asked her to look at the camera and give Granny Yia-Yia a thank you smile...
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
She's watched her Sofia DVD almost every day since opening it up, and loves it - especially when she can dance to the songs. And, Aria and I like to work on her letters and colours with her new puzzle. Thank you Granny Yia-Yia!

And, this was a surprise from Aria's cousin Austin.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
He sent her a birthday cookie. How cute is that? And tasty. Aria let me have a nibble, but she also wasn't letting it out of her sight.
Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
Thank you Austin!

Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon theme, party details
And with that Aria is officially two years old!

23 comments:

  1. So many great ideas! You left no stone unturned. That guess the carols game is super fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the decorations, and that Melissa and Dough cookie set is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You my dear are VERY crafty. I love each and every adorable craft. Seriously perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never had thought those clothes pins would be so dang easy to decorate. You did a good job on the goodie bags, coming up with "star" themed snacks. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so great! I LOVE the clothespin idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an cute party! And your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your daughter! Love the theme of the party- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, such a sweet birthday for your girl :) Looks like she had a blast! And I love all the sparkly gold decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks adorable with her little apron on and tray of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So first off now I am starving... The food looks NOM!

    Secondly Aria baking cookies maybe the cutest thing ever. I love that set what a perfect gift for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just looking at that food made me super hungry at work! I think I'll go home and make some of those delicious looking cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the theme and everything about the party! That dessert table made me hungry (of course. like I needed an excuse..) That star garland probably isn't going to happen in time for Christmas this year, but maybe next year I'll make one for our tree. Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those glitter clothespins! And cute goody bags, I can't believe you couldn't find moon pies! It figures, huh? It's like one year when I wanted to make something with Mounds bars and I couldn't find the full-sized ones anywhere. What?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all the DIY Ideas and the creative way you celebrate Aria's birthday. I am going to have to try the glitter clothespin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your decorations are amazing! aw looks like you guys had a great Birthday! And that food looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those glittery clothes pins... GENIUS. I thought for sure you would have to use glue and wait for it to like half dry and then add glitter and then make a huge mess but that is SO much easier! I hope Mason likes glitter because he might be getting some of these in his room now LOL. Oh and the hot cocoa bar... sign me up. I'm all about making hot cocoa in the slow cooker. Seems so easy!
    Do you like that alphabet puzzle? I've been wanting to get one for Mason but I've seen people recommend various different ones and they all seem the same to me...
    You are super mom with that party! Looks SO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So...now I'm starving!!! And I love those glitter clothes pins! I'm tempted to break out some red and green glitter right now and spiff up my Christmas card display...hmmm :) Happy birthday, Aria!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving those clothespins!! So super easy, who knew?? You did such a great job with all the decor! And I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to take food out of the fridge, and that's just for dinner...not a party! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are SO craft and I'm SO jealous!! I see she loves the cookies! YAY!! We got Savanna a bunch more sets for Christmas because she loves them so much! I told you before I love the theme, but I'll say it again..I love the theme! And I still can't believe she's 2..

    ReplyDelete
  20. This party idea is precious! Everything turned out so cute. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the food you made sounds really good! I love all the decorations you did, especially those twig stars and the garland. I've never made hot cocoa in the slow cooker, but it sounds really good! I love that Christmas carols game too- I've done it a few times when I was in gradeschool and it brings back a lot of memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok so all of this is awesome and you're always so great at picking the "right" DIY stuff! My favorite is totally the glitter clothes pins! I think I might even be able to swing that with Callie... So festive and fun! A star cutter - genius - I never think to buy those things.... again bc I'm not crafty just my kid is :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAPPY (very belated -- so sorry!) 2nd BIRTHDAY to ARIA!!! :o) Nicely done on the party!!! Love every last detail, Courtney!! The glittery clothespins are awesome!! Thanks for sharing the how-to dets! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.