Monday, December 8, 2014

Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon: part one

Aria turned two on the 2nd of this month, and her party was the Sunday prior, November 30th. I attempted to keep things pretty simple. Aria is the oldest out of all the kids we know so I didn't worry about much entertainment. There weren't going to be a whole slew of people so I focused on a few DIY decorations and the food. We went with a 'stars & moon' theme because Aria is currently obsessed. She asks to go see the moon every night, and looks for it when we are outside during the day. Star is the first shape she could identify and she loves her star night light in her room. It was so perfect and simple, and in the end she seemed to really love finding stars everywhere.

Today's recap will be 'the party', so picture overload. And, part two will be party details. So, without further ado...

Chris and I debated when we wanted to give her her present from us. In the end we went with the morning of her party so she could play with it right away while it was still daylight out. So a couple nights before her party Chris set it up for her. Then when she went to bed the night before the big day he brought it out by the tree and 'wrapped' it with a tablecloth.

Here she is discovering it when she came down the hall that morning...
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Her very own pink mini-cooper power wheels!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
She was so excited to hop right in and have dad show her where all the buttons were - the headlights, the music, the beeps.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
And, then we took it outside for a test drive and her enthusiasm went downhill from there. She tolerated it at best. There were a few smiles. It is remote controlled so dad drove her around in loops and she quietly sat there while mom snapped away and cheered her on. She rode it once more during her party, and possibly two other super short stints afterwards. Chris swears it's been 4 times, I give it a solid 2.5 times. She just has no interest in it, and if Chris asks if she wants a ride in it she gets very annoyed. She, however, begs to be pushed around in her other pink car. The one she got for her 1st birthday that is all man powered. I mean come on...same thing kid. One is just WAY cooler.

I told Chris we should just wrap it up again and save it for her 3rd birthday.

There is just no pleasing some people.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Chris found this sweet-ass balloon. It is gigantic, a star, and I don't have to tie it to anything to keep it from getting sucked up into the fan. And, it is still floating like a pro over a week later. Well done, Chris!

The party started at 4, and true to form I was running around in pajamas like a headless chicken doing all those last minute details you never ever remember until the stupid last minute at 3:45. I was still pulling my pants on when the first guests arrived, and I was frantically trying to straighten at least 85% of my hair. I'm pretty sure I will never have my act together for any type of get together. At least I was right on schedule with the food, which almost never happens.

So, the guests arrived and I managed to get my pants on. Everybody dropped off gifts under the tree, which is one of my favourite bits of Aria's birthday being so close to Christmas.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

And, then everybody gathered out back to check out Aria's awesome new ride, which she wanted nothing to do with.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

But, we had another volunteer instead. Aria's best bud Rory had a go in the fancy new pink mini-cooper.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

She was also not overly impressed. These kids...they are killing me. Totally the same deal as with Aria. She rode around in it just fine, quietly sitting there, cracking the tiniest of smiles on occasion.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

She did think Baxter running away from it was pretty interesting.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Rory's turn in the car did convince Aria to give it another shot though. Of course 3 minutes later the food was ready.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

We gathered back inside and let the babes food cool a bit.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Aria entertained the crowd by playing her 'toss the moon rocks in the star holes' game, which also doubled as one of the stick your face in it things! I meant to get a pic of all three kiddos sticking out each star, but it completely slipped my mind.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themedSweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
And, the grand finale courtesy of great-grandma...the slide!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themedSweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria's 2nd Birthday - Stars & Moon themed
I also posted Aria's favorite presents here if you want to see all the fabulous gifts she received. I love hearing what people get because I'm nosy like that, so if you do too then high five!

Another Birthday for the books! Aria was completely spoiled with presents, and she's still getting some trickling in via mail. We had good company, good food, and good laughs. We are so thankful to have such wonderful family and friends that come celebrate Aria with us.

Stay tuned for part two - the food (yum!), the decor/DIY details, the favors, etc.

http://sweet-turtle-soup.blogspot.com/2014/12/holiday-home-tour-link-up-annoucement.html

27 comments:

  1. Well I am totally impressed with the pink car ;). SO much fun. You did such a great job and I LOVE the start theme to the party. I bet one day she will come around and realize how cool the remote control car is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, she is just the cutest in that car! What a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That car is the coolest!! I hope she warms up to it soon, for both y'all sake, ha! . I know Wyatt got presents last year at Christmas that he's just warming up to so I'm sure with some time it'll be her favorite! Looks like she had fun either way, with her favorite people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahaha! Aria will get used to the car and she will love it as much as her first, promise! But holy crap, I think it is SOOOOO CUTE!!
    Her decor for the party is adorable, of course!! What a perfect day celebrating Aria!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it crazy what kids like and don't like. That car is so cute though! I love the simple decor of her party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pic of her sticking her tongue out at the cupcake. Such a bummer about the car. I have to laugh because Lily does stuff like that. We will get soooo excited to show her or get her something and then she's all "meh". Such a disappointment. I would totally wrap it up for birthday number 3. Ha! She'll probably come around to it...eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! Wishing her a happy bday from Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky little lady with all those fantastic gifts!!! Matt got the kids a yellow battery operated convertible two Christmases ago and it just sits in my parent's basement. I don't get these kids. I would have loved one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That car is like the best thing EVER!! I'm dying!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, kids. They kill me. You think you have the perfect gift that they will love... and nope. They're such fickle creatures! I agree, re-wrap it for next year, it will probably be a completely different story. And I love her star hair clip! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! I love all of the pictures that you shared. I bet you can't believe she's two. Those years just flew by with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun theme?! And I love A's skirt, so cute. From the looks of it, Aria has the best time and boy did she clean up in the gift department.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that car, even if Aria doesn't :) I'm sure she'll re-discover it at some point and then realize she loves it. That's happened with quite a few of our toys. Oh, and don't feel bad about running behind - I'm ALWAYS doing things right up until the last minute before events like this. Her birthday outfit was adorable, and I love the star clip in her hair. Looks like a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh those penguin jammies! That outfit!! She is so stinkin CUTE! What a great idea for her bday looks like she had a blast!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pics! Love the tongue out shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the coolest car ever! I want one in my size. It looks like the party was a big success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously?! How is she so big already!?!!! I love love love this theme! SO unique and different! Aria is so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  18. great pictures..
    kids really are hard to please.. happier with the box that the toy itself!
    Happy Birthday Aria!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That car is awesome! :) What a cute theme for the party! It looks like it was a lot of fun for everyone! Happy 2nd Birthday to Aria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great party!! I remember my kids loved those cars at their age!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That pink car is awesome! We have yet to get Callie one bc I fear that will be her reaction where I know if I just buy more princess things she'll like them :) I love the star theme! And that star rock activity is awesome. Oh and she's so cute in her star tutu - she's getting super good at looking right at you and smiling! Looks like such a great party! Yay for TWO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE the mini cooper! We actually toyed with getting Ez one of those for Christmas, but when we let him play with them in the as-is section at Toys R'Us, all he wanted to do was push it around like a giant matchbox car. So yeah, maybe you're right, 3rd birthday is best.

    That toss the moon rock game is clever! Love the picture of Aria peering through one of the stars. All in all looks like a great 2nd birthday! And the whole still-getting-dressed-when-the-guests-arrive is pretty standard for get togethers. In my life it is, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great party and presents, especially the pink car. What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The mini-coop, nailed it!! How awesome.
    That pic with the cupcake and tongue out - dying.
    The party looks like a solid success. Cheers to TWO!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So, somehow I missed this. I'm not really sure how. But the mini cooper?!??!? Amazing! I mean, I am excited about it, I don't know why she wasn't. You did get some SUPER cute pictures of her in it though in the very beginning. She looked so happy to be sitting in her big girl car inside the house :)
    Her party looked so fun! I hope you guys had a great time! I love the pics of her eating her cupcake. Especially the one with her tongue hanging out lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.