Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5

Happy Last Recap of Countdown to Halloween 2014!!! Not sure what it is all about? Go check out this here post for all the details. New to this year's link up are the fabulous co-hosts - Amanda from Tickled Pink, Jamie from Cocktails & Carseats, and Jenny from The Chronicles of We! After today we can officially officially move on from ghosts and spooks. I am totally ready for carols, the parade, egg nog french toast, and peppermint hot cocoa! But, first the last 4 days October.

A big thank you to my co-hosts for making this link up the most fun yet! I had just started following Jenny around this time last year and I hadn't even 'met' Amanda or Jamie yet, and this year I love them all. Such fantastic ladies and great friends. And, a big thank you to each and every person that linked up! I adored every post, and I was even just telling my husband that I really loved connecting to several awesome ladies this year because of the link up. So many many high fives! I hope you had a wonderful October and Halloween 'season'. I feel like we squeezed a ton of fun out of the month, and that is really the main goal - enjoying each moment. October went by at light speed, but it also was so full it felt like it lasted twice as long. Here's to an equally memorable Thanksgiving and Christmas...and 2nd Birthday (Aria's!!!) and New Year too!

If you didn't get a chance to hop around to all the posts last week, here are five of my favourites...

I'd love for you to link up with us one more time today. So, grab a button, add your post at the bottom, and have fun!
Sweet Turtle Soup

And, here is how we ended the month!

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
This is about how I felt all day. Notice that roboraptor feels the same. I got one of those headaches that hurts so much I want to cry, so I wasn't very fun.

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
I made pumpkin pie oatmeal for us today, which was actually good apart from my overcooking it a bit more than I meant. The recipe uses the microwave and I always do our oats on the stove, so I just used the ingredient ratios. Aria's favourite part was the chips on top, of course.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
I think Halloween has gotten to her. She has taken to riding her broom around now. One too many readings of Room on the Broom I guess.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Playing with Batty the balloon since his days were numbered.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Aria finally got her toes repainted for Halloween - candy corn style.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Aria helped me prep dinner for great-grandma's birthday.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
We had spaghetti and meatballs with garlic knots along with present opening.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
And, pumpkin truffles for dessert.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Aria made great-grandma a shutterfly photo book of all the pictures of them together the past year, the same as last year. It is one of her favourite things to flip through with great-grandma.

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Aria and I made apple crumb muffins for brunch. They were so good, light as a feather and super soft.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Basically we just made muffins, but hey these two are cute.

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Making biscuits and grave-y on or near Halloween is my favourite breakfast tradition. I've made many biscuit and gravy recipes in my time, but this one from the Pioneer Woman is perfection.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
We always bag up a few pieces of candy for the trick or treaters. Aria helped me for a while until she got super frustrated that she wasn't allowed to eat any of the candy. This is her I'm annoyed at you mom face.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
We made up our jug-o-lanterns after a nap. Aria didn't want to help so I went with the pumpkin faces from It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse. Eventually Aria helped make one, but she seemed to really like the faces and kept going from each staring at them.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Our 'before' pumpkin shot!
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
And, our 'after' pumpkin shot! Aria and I scrolled through pinterest endlessly with her saying 'no' until I went with a kitty and stars - two of her favourite things so I figured it couldn't lose. I got a lot of compliments on it from trick or treater parents too.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Getting ready for the grand finale!
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Ready to go.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
We only walked a tiny bit of our neighborhood, but Aria loved it. She was pretty bummed when we headed back home. The weather was perfect too, a much appreciated cool breeze. Last year was so hot. And, I didn't even have any of those super late night trick or treaters that come after you've already turned out the lights and have given out all the candy - you know, the ones you want to shoot because you've let the dogs out from their confinement so they bark like mad while your toddler is sleeping.
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
After a fun night of treats!
Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5Countdown to Halloween - Recap #5
The pumpkin and jug-o-lanterns at night.

And that is the whole kit and caboodle! Another 31 Days of Halloween and Fall fun have come to an end. We are totally ready to put up some Christmas lights now and enjoy the legit cold weather we've been having. Nothing like the first cold front to make you realize your kid doesn't have any cozy shoes.

So, now it is your turn. Let's hear how you ended the month. All festive and fun fall things big and small welcome, and feel free to link up that Halloween recap you did over the weekend below too!

14 comments:

  1. OH I like your jug o lanterns way better! Well mostly because I never took mine upstairs to be lit up. We kinda fizzled out this week - you guys were troopers! I love the candy bags for trick or treaters! We might do that next year because I hear we don't get a lot of kids on the lake so why not give them something special? Those apple muffins sound yummy. So do the pumpkin truffles but like you said it's time for carols (which I totally listened to on the drive to and from Jake's bday dinner) and peppermint cocca! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo of her just laying there, I feel ya girl. Love the carved pumpkin and those jugs are a great idea. Might need to steal that for next year.

    I'm thinking Christmas decorating could start today. Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minus the headache everything looked like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minus the headache everything looked like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your ideas looked so cute! Those pumpkin truffles looked delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pumpkin, that turned out super cute.

    Thankful for other holidays soon because these 31 days have been fun and I sure am going to miss these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pumpkin face jugs! Very cute! And I wish we had heat as an issue at our halloweens. This year we were not able to get out to trick or treat because of cold and wind and a rain/snow mix. :o( makes me super glad that we went to the high school the night before for some inside trick or treating...so there is no shortage of candy here! :oP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pumpkin! The jug-o-lanterns are a great idea too- what did you use to light them? I am sooo excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas - is it time to put up a tree yet? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL. we have a scarecrow broom stick that Lily rides around too. Lol Those muffins look amazing!!! Perfect for fall. Totally going to try! OMG!! I just got the "grave-y" pun. I thought it was a Canadian spelling but it was a Halloween thing! Love it! That's one impressive pumpkin carving! Totally have loved doing this link up!!!! Maybe we should do a Christmas one? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You outdid yourself this year! You gave me so many fun ideas to add to our list next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE that pumpkin! You can never go wrong with cats. Aria's got good taste :) And her face in the pumpkin "after" picture is priceless! She looks so happy with the results.

    Shutterfly books are pretty much all the grandparents are getting around here from now on too. By the time Ez is 18 they're going to have a library's worth. I'm probably going to need a separate bookcase for all the ones I've made for us. I've already made 4, and Ezzy isn't even two yet!

    Did you make those pumpkin pie truffles yourself? They looks so fancy and professional! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your jug-o-lanterns are so cute! Your actual jack-o-lantern is amazing! And, bonus for getting so much wear out of Aria's Halloween costume!!
    Glad you all had such a fabulous October and Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boo for not feeling good but I love that Day 28 only had one picture... and it was of Aria just lying on the ground!
    Day 29 my favorite is Aria sitting on Great Grandma's lap reading that book. So SO sweet!!!! Oh and those garlic knots. You have my mouth watering!!!
    Day 30 - delicious muffins!!!
    Day 31 - seriously those jug-o-lanterns are PERFECTION. I am totally bookmarking this for next year!
    I swear you are the most creative and fun mom ever! Can I send Mason to live with you during the holiday months so he can have fun too??? He would LOVE it! Or just send me the cliff notes version and I will try to re-create ;)
    Glad you guys had such a wonderful October and Halloween!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.