Friday, October 31, 2014

Oh Hey, It's Five on Friday: Halloween and Blog Updates

I hope everybody has a spooky and fun Halloween - we still have our pumpkin carving to do and a helping of biscuits and grave-y is a must too! So I'm thinking it will be an excellent end to a very festive month.

So, my Halloween costume this year is a peacock and I thought it would be fun to chalk my hair a few colours to go with the theme. I got Chris do it for me. Big mistake, huge. First it hurt, but that might just be user error. Second it was messier than messy. Third it made my hair feel like crap. I could not wait to wash it out. You win some, you lose some. Also, you can barely tell.

Have y'all seen the naturebox monthly subscription service around? You can get a free sample box if you pay the shipping, so I figured why not. I could totally eat my wait in those garden tomato crunchies and cashew crumbles, and I don't even like nuts. The coconut cashews almost made me hurl, but that was only because Chris forced me to try one and I frickin hate coconut. Chris thought they were divine. I also hate sea salt, so the sea salt crackers were not up my alley. The cinnamon swirl kettle kernels were meh. The rest packed such a flavor punch that those were nothing in comparison.

You can go to the site and personalize your tastes and choices, so you could customize a pretty bad ass box with time. Overall I liked the service, and at the very least you can't beat the price of shipping for some munchies. I cancelled mine right after the sample box arrived because there are way too many goodies being concocted at home to need any more, but I liked it enough to consider it again in the new year. (Not a sponsored post, just sharing)

Speaking of goodies...I updated my 'recipe book' page. You can find it to the right in the sidebar. And, just in case you wanted to know - the ham and potato chowder and the baked pumpkin cream cheese french toast were huge hits.

Sweet Turtle Soup
I can hardly believe today is the final day of October. I was just thinking about some of the things we'd done at the start of the Countdown to Halloween link up party and they really felt like we'd done them at least twice as long ago. But, now that the month is coming to a close so is the link up - the final link up will be next Tuesday, the 4th of Nov. Feel free to stop by and check out all the spooky fun we've been up to or link up yourself!

Sweet Turtle Soup
And, last but not least since Halloween will soon be behind us we can really start to get in the Thanksgiving and Christmas spirit. Jenny, Elizabeth, and I came up with a Secret Santa Mommy & Me Book Exchange. You can still join in on the literary good times until next Wednesday, so please check out the announcement post for all the fun details!

Linking up with:
THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all the soup recipes! YUM! I really need to post some of mine! I have like 1 billion recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM Soup!!! We might have to try some of those recipes out! I can't believe it's the last day of the month and the last Halloween link up is next week! It's been so much fun! Maybe why the month has flown by. LOL at Chris chalking your hair. I think it's so fun when guys do girly things just for us. :) Sorry it didn't turn out. Ya'll look super cute in ya'll's costumes though! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still in love with Aria's costume!!
    Ooooooh man! That is the jack pot of soup recipes! I always looooove making soups this time of year! Can't wait to try some of these!
    Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute costumes! Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from the link-up! I'm going to have to read more on your Secrat Santa exchange. Looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get Nature Box and have for the past few months. I've been really pleased with what we've gotten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm picturing the chalking of the hair in my mind, and I can't help but chuckle a bit. It sounds like the time I broke my arm and needed Scott to put my hair up in a pony tail… And things just went horribly wrong (who knew pony tails were that hard to do?!). :)
    The nature box sounds fun, and just paying for shipping? Sounds good to me!
    Your soups look so good! The chicken noodle and the crock pot cheesy loaded bake potato are calling my name! Bonus points for SoCal FINALLY "cooling down" to low 70s this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many fun and exciting things happening around these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute family photo :)

    So excited for the book exchange! I'm having a tough time picking out my book list...which is weird cause whenever I go to B&N I find at least 30 books I want to read. Maybe I need to go browse for some inspiration...

    We're finally getting some soup weather this weekend, might have to start working my way through your list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crock pot potato soup and the ham and potato soup sound AMAZING. Now that it has decided to be fall around here (umm on Halloween and with a forecast of rain?!?!), I just might have to try them this weekend before the weather changes its mind and becomes 85 again!
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. peacock = fun! chalk in hair sounds not fun. But seems like such a great idea for the costume! Yay for link up fun! Oh and those bars sound pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing all those soup recipes! My favorite thing to eat in winter! Yum! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend that does Nature Box and I've tasted a few of the items, I couldn't tell you what. BUT, they were all delightful! I'm really hoping next year I'll have my act together and we'll have family costumes. SHOOT! Maybe I'll host a Halloween party, I did that once. Happy NOVEMBER!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun!!! I will have to check out the nature box! All about a sample :) have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOUP! We love to have us a good soup night and it is just now finally husband approved soup weather. Can't wait to try out some of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.