Friday, October 17, 2014

Five Books to Read this Autumn

All Souls Trilogy, Something Borrowed, Inferno, The Mortal Instruments, Wives and Daughters
1. Deborah Harkness, All Souls Trilogy - This makes it into my top 3 list of favourite books ever. It was interesting, it was funny, it was well written, it was a great story. I read the first two in the fall for the past two years, and then devoured the final book when it came out this summer. But, if I can squeeze it in I'd love to re-read all three cozied up on the couch before the new year. It is the perfect cold weather read.

2. Emily Giffin, Something Borrowed - I know almost everybody enjoys Emily Giffin, but Something Borrowed and Something Blue are the only two I really enjoyed of hers. After finally getting around to reading them I was pretty annoyed about the stupid changes they made to the movie. But, the books are definitely a great way to spend a couple evenings sitting in front of the fire...after the toddlers have gone to bed.

3. Dan Brown, Inferno - I've enjoyed all of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books, but this one was my definitely favourite. I love how he brings you right into the story and you feel like you are trying to figure things out right alongside everybody, and it is just twisty enough that you never know what the heck is going on. So if historical adventure is more your game, try this one. And, if you've already read it try James Rollins' Sigma series. I still need to get my hands on his latest, and I know I won't be able to put it down.

4. Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters - I am a huge Jane Austen fan, but in my mind they feel like spring. Wives and Daughters feels more like the autumn to me. But, if you are an Austen fan and haven't read Gaskell yet give her a try this year. Then after you read it, watch the mini series! One of my favourites, right up there with the BBC Sense and Sensibility.

5. Cassandra Clare, The Mortal Instruments series - My guilty reading pleasure is always YA. And, The Mortal Instruments series is one of my faves. It's quick, it's witty, it's fun. Skip the movie though. And, if you want something a little more adult try Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. More disgusting descriptions of critters, and sex.

13 comments:

  1. I love Dan Brown, but haven't gotten around to Inferno. Adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i only read the first mortal instrument book. i have the rest on my kindle and i'm just waiting to dive back in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Shadow of Night right now. So in love with this trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good variety of books! I haven't read any of these, and I'm always looking for good book recommendations. I think I'll start with the All Souls trilogy, you really sold that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like Something Blue and then Borrowed. And I am looking forward to Inferno. Love a good book rec thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Something Blue and Borrowed...I just finished reading the The Maze Runner Series, it was pretty good. Although parts of it I wanted to scream at the characters...although maybe that means it was good because I was so into it? Hmmm...I'll have to check out those series, thanks for the suggestions. Going to red Gone Girl next then maybe follow up with one of your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these! Someday, when I'm sleeping again, I'm going to start reading again. I feel so far behind the rest of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love emily giffin except for her last one which was a bit out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something Borrowed is so great!!!! I almost feel bad saying I love it because of the storyline, but seriously, I love Emily Giffin. I wish we lived closer... I have all her books and I would totally let you borrow them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something Borrowed is one of my favorites...you'll definitely have fun with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should do more adult book review posts - I just added almost all of these to my list! I love all the Robert Langdon books so i'm really excited for that one! I always love book series so i'm exctied the All souls one and the jane austen inspired book just sounds fun! You know when I'm done reading about insulation R values, ratings on plumbing fixtures and the cost of granite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these :) But, I will be adding several of them to my 'to read' list. That trilogy sounds interesting. The last book I read was Gone Girl, and it was good, but I wasn't too thrilled with the ending. I think Something Borrowed will be my next read :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.