Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #2

Welcome to the second recap of this year's Countdown to Halloween link up party! Not sure what it is all about? Go check out this here post for all the details. New to this year's link up are the fabulous co-hosts - Amanda from Tickled Pink, Jamie from Cocktails & Carseats, and Jenny from The Chronicles of We!

I was blown away by all the participants last week. Thank you so so much for joining in, I love love loved reading through all of them. You have all been the cherry on top of this month for me!

If you didn't get a chance to hop around to all the posts last week, here are four of my favourites...

I am excited to see all the posts this week as well. So, grab a button, add your post at the bottom, and have fun!
Sweet Turtle Soup

Here is what we have been up to during the second week of October!

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
I left up her fall finger paint bags from day 6 so she could get a little more play out of them.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
She wore her new shirt from Jamie and Reese of Cocktails & Carseats as soon as that pretty pretty sucker came out of the laundry. We love it!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We had leftover pumpkin spice pancakes, in the shape of leaves because of course, and pears for breakfast.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Aria helped me pop some popcorn before nap time, and she taste tested a few just to make sure they were okay. Then during her nap I turned it into pumpkin spice white chocolate caramel popcorn. Wow, was it good - and it disappeared in seconds.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
For dinner we had beef roast over mashed potatoes. We make a roast at least once a month, but they just taste better during the fall and winter. Aria actually ate the mashed potatoes this time, she's never really been a big fan.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Aria helped me make apple cinnamon scones, and then we enjoyed them after she woke up from a nap. She ate hers and then demanded another chunk of mine. We sent half off to Aria's great aunt and uncle, but the 6 remaining didn't make it past the following day. I don't think somebody was into the scone photo shoot - just gimme the foods!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
I normally paint Aria's toes while she is in her high chair being distracted by food, but I forgot during breakfast so instead I told her she could watch some TV if she let me paint her toes. No arguments from her, or so much as a glance at mom.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
I gave Aria a choice of the darker nail polish colours I have in my collection, and she picked out this purple. Her yia-yia just sent some sparkly nail polish in a big ol' care package too so I added that on top for just the right toe pop for October.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
And, just one more in her dress because it is hands down everybody's favourite.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Since everybody was on the mend we finally got around to some crafting. We made this super easy pumpkin 'stained glass' for the window! You need wax paper, glue, and orange tissue paper. Get a big sheet of wax paper, at least twice as big as your final design, and then pour a layer of glue on one half, cover it with little torn pieces of the tissue paper. Then cover the other half with a layer of glue and carefully fold it over on itself so all the glue is squished on each side of the tissue paper (while your toddler is busy trying to slice off fingers on the wax paper box edge). Let it dry, cut out your shape! I found this one to be a good craft for her age, she could help me tear up tissue paper and she placed all the bits on the glue without getting glue on herself. Quick, easy, cheap, and cute.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
For dinner we made chicken and noodles. My favourite new soup so far, the noodles were delicious and found in the frozen section...total win.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
The mornings have been so much nicer this month. I wouldn't call them chilly, but much less sweaty for sure as long as we make it out before 9 when the sun starts to hit the deck. But, I guess Lizzy thought it was cuddling weather. Aria tried her hardest to sit on Lizzy while she was sitting on me.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Our favourite top, second only to the tutu, made it through the wash again so of course it had to be worn again! I told her we should go take a picture in her outfit on the front porch, and this was as close to smiling and looking at the camera as we got.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Time for another craft! The classic hand turkey. It is practically a right of passage to make a hand turkey at least once. I wanted to make a canvas for Canadian Thanksgiving this year, and went with the turkey after I found a bunch of equally cute ideas for American Thanksgiving. It turned out even cuter than anticipated too.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We needed liquor for our Canadian Thanksgiving party, so we had to stop by the pumpkin patch while we were out that way. Had to.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Aria tried to pick up each and every pumpkin, and thought tossing the little pumpkins was just a blast. We picked out two big ones, and then Aria picked out 7 little ones. I thought it was funny because she didn't want any of the ones in the front. No, no. She made her way around to the back of the pallet to make her choices, and when I said she could pick just one more she death gripped two and walked them over to the cash register herself.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
 We had a wild and crazy breakfast of pumpkin shaped toasts and a smoothie.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
I set up the little pumpkins on our window sill.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Aria removed them one by one and placed them on the end table. She's been having the best time rearranging them and putting them in piles and giving them hugs. If only she wouldn't spike them onto the tile floors.

Aria picked out her outfit today too. I tried to talk her into something short on whichever end, because pants and long sleeves are just a little too cozy for Florida in October. But, she insisted.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We started prepping for our Canadian Thanksgiving party today! Aria helped me get the desserts made.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
And, one more craft for the week. A finger paint jack-o-lantern. Aria helped me design the painter's tape by picking out the eyes in one of her pumpkin books and then telling me how many teeth and where.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Here is the one she did last year.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
After working up an appetite making her pumpkin masterpiece we had caramel apple slices for an afternoon snack. Big hit with Aria, she was ready for seconds after gobbling up the first.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We went out and acquired Halloween donuts for breakfast. I let Aria have her pick so she would grab one and take a bite or two and then put it back for another and repeat until she landed on the pumpkin face one with bavarian cream (I think...). Have donuts gotten sweeter because I couldn't even eat one before I got a sugar headache? Chris talked me into going with a full dozen, but I'm pretty sure we would have been just fine with half a dozen to sample. I don't think any were eaten in it's entirety.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We didn't want the dogs to miss out on the October fun so while we were picking up the ever exciting box of cat litter Chris grabbed a couple Halloween dog toys too.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
These dogs never turn down anything with a squeaker! The spider has already been de-fluffed and de-squeakered. But, so far the eyeball is going strong. Aria is a fan because they will actually chase them when she throws them.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We went digging in the gigantic beanie baby box for the ghost beanie and the spider beanie, and the bunny beanie and the valentino bear beanie were also picked. So far Aria has been carrying all four of her 'babies' wherever she goes, including a trip to Red Lobster. Does anybody else have an insane amount of beanie babies stored away that haven't been touched for years?
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Lots of Canadian Thanksgiving prep went down too. Anything that could be made ahead of time or prepped got done.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
We cooked all day and had our friends over for a Canadian Thanksgiving feast! Check out yesterday's post for the full recap. Our favourite party to host each year! And, we aren't Canadian either. We just enjoy having a Thanksgiving where we can invite our friends over, since everybody has family to see on American Thanksgiving.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
I promised Aria some apple cider the day after our party, since mine had vodka in it at the time and didn't think sharing was appropriate. I think it is my favourite leftover. I just poured what was still in the crock pot back into the juice jars, and now I can heat up a mug of delicious cider anytime. I left hers cold, and I don't think she had any problems with it!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
It was definitely a stay in your jammies and do the bare minimum kind of morning. If we didn't need to run to the store after nap time it would have been the motto for the whole day. When dad came home for lunch we had leftovers, and Aria stole his turkey leg.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Since we had to put on real clothes I went with our most festive, and then had to document it out front by the pumpkin and mums!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Aria and Chris did the pulling of the wishbone. Aria won, although she was pulling so hard that when it snapped she toppled over backwards onto the cabinet behind her. Oops. But, at least she got her wish. Chris said (after a few I'm sorry you fell over hugs) that she couldn't tell anybody her wish, so she put her finger to her lips and said shh. I thought it was cute that she put the two concepts together.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween 31 Days of Fall Fun - Recap #2
Glow stick bath #2 for the month! She had just as much fun this time as last time. I think she knew what was coming because she was not overly patient with my package opening slowness. She did however ask me to take more pictures several times.

This week has been so much better now that everybody is feeling like themselves. Although, I'm glad all the prep and work that went into our Canadian Thanksgiving party is behind us and the leftovers are in front of us.

Now, I would love for you to link up and let us know how your second week of October has been going. All festive and fun fall things big and small welcome, link up below!

22 comments:

  1. Yay for crafting! We are going to paint pumpkins (hopefully) later this week and I love the painters tape idea! I was just going to give her a paint brush and the orange, black and purple paint but your idea gives it that extra umph. Also the turkey handprint is classic... I wonder if I can get Callie to do it... I'm doubtful but I may have to try. I still have a canvas waiting to be used. I'm saving your pumpkin pancake recipe. it just might have to get tried out. Callie loved apple cider at the pumpkin patch too! Yup that Halloween tutu is the best but that shirt from Jamie is super cute too! Oh and I'm glad to see my dog isn't the only one who immediately de-stuffs toys and then still plays with them. I think he likes them flat better - maybe I should just give him some fabric to chew on? haha! Yup I love Halloween. I'm so glad for the co-host invite - this has rekindled my fun mom/I love holidays spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it!! Her pig tails are killin' me dead! SO CUTE!! And of course I love her fun outfits!!
    That popcorn!! Pinning now. I gotta make that asap!
    You are the funnest mom and I love how you've been taking advantage of this month!! We are painting pumpkins today and I'm pretty proud of myself for that one, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness she is cute! Love the sparkly nail polish! Can't wait until Hallie is old enough for me to get her Festive Jamberrys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you guys did so much!! I'm glad the shirt fits her- it's super cute on her :) Also love the matching toes. I really need to not read your posts in the morning when I'm hungry, because everything you make looks so gosh darn good!! Feel free to send any leftovers our way ;) I love the idea of doing Canadian Thanksgiving, even though you aren't Canadian :) I had actually wondered about that, haha! The painted pumpkins and hand turkey are great ideas, although I can't get Reese to touch paint at all. Maybe next year. I'm with you on the beanie babies! I have a whole bin of my old ones that I plan on showing to Reese sometime in the near future. I have so many, so I'm planning on giving her 1 or 2 at a time, and maybe using them as incentives or rewards for something. Love seeing all the fun things you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crafts are so fun! Now I need to grab some tissue paper! And I never thought to use tape to make a paint negative jack-o-lantern face! I may use that idea for the pumpkin painting playdate I have planned for next week!
    And of course that popcorn! I think I have the same one pinned on my Pinterest & have been needing to make it! Might just have a Halloween movie night with that delicious stuff in our future! ;)
    Awesomely festive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and you're the sweetest for mentioning us in your favorites from last week! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, you guys have packed in so many fun crafts and good eats!! I am loving the Turkey idea!! I must remember this for Thanksgiving! Love it!!! I also am loving the boo shirt and that popcorn! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the "Thankful" craft! I may show that to Wyatt's Pre-k teacher so they can do it for Thanksgiving. Or, I could not be lazy and do it with him myself, ha! I love all the fun recipes, so yummy! I think Sean would be in heaven if I cooked that much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness those sparkly toes are too cute! I love all the Halloween crafts you did - and I had to pin the glow stick bath idea - my 2yo would love that!! And yes, oh the Beanie Babies. I actually put our Spooky the ghost inside a little wicker pumpkin. I think my brother and I together had over 700 of them… ahhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matching toes and tutus and pumpkins oh my! What a great fall filled week of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much good stuff in this post, I don't even know where to start! You've given me so many good food and craft ideas. I'm a sucker for flavored popcorn. Baby Aria with her giant painted pumpkin from last year is a classic. I can't get over how much bigger she is now. I know I've said it before, but it really seems like she suddenly sprouted and grew a few inches in the last month or two. Also, the mini-pumpkin collecting and rearranging is going on over here too, and we are already down a pumpkin, which I'd really like to find before it starts molding and rotting...I've searched the whole house several times with no luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - thanks for the top 4 mention! So sweet :)

      Delete
  11. firstly love the orange skirt.
    second.. all the sweet treats in your home are making my mouth water.. nomnom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, Courtney!? I don't know how you find the time to do all of these! I love her outfits. So cute! I love how the dogs are partaking in the festivity haha. Those monster toys are super adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a fun mom!!!!
    Question : is it hard to make scones? Because they always look so hard to make since they always look for perfect. But yours look delicious! Recipe?
    You two are so cute with your matching pedicures!!! That's one thing I miss about having a boy... no matching painted nails for us :(
    Also, how cute she grabbed the pumpkins and marched them to the cash register herself. Girl knows what she wants! Good thing mom and dad obliged :) Your pumpkins look so cute on your window sill with the pictures!
    Oh, and LOVE that idea of painting a pumpkin with a painters tape face. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the festive fun you're able to squeeze into a week!

    The pumpkin spice white chocolate popcorn – um, amazing! I can't wait to add that recipe to my shopping list.

    Love the crafts - especially the wax paper craft and the painted pumpkins with painters tape. I've seen the stained glass art projects before using contact paper but it always seemed so silly to purchase a giant roll of contact paper ($$) for one kids art project. Using wax paper is a way better alternative! And, great idea using the painter's tape stencil on the pumpkin. I'll have to remember that for when Aden starts painting pumpkins next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, seriously, cutest kid award goes to Aria and all of her amazingly festive outfits!! The boo short is most definitely my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girlfriend!! Ya'll always seem to have that backdoor open! Isn't a bit hot there for all that?! We LOVE popcorn! I have a festive recipe for us to try this week too! One of my favorite holiday memories as a child was making carmel popcorn balls with my mom. Those pigtails and tutu are killer!!! That hand turkey is adorable! And OMG the picture at the pumpkin patch is beyond words!!! LoL at Aria and the turkey leg!!! Do ya'll celebrate American Thanksgiving too?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are amazing, do you know that?! Wow. Can my kids and I come live with you?! I love all these ideas! I can't wait until next fall when Mim's a bit older (and sleeping through the night) so we can do more fall/Halloween crafts and activities. All the food and treats look amazing. And her outfits! I die.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, you deserve Mom of the Year award! This all looks SO amazing and fun!!! Also, old beanie babies - yep!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodness! You go all out for Halloween. I think your love Halloween is similar to my love for Christmas. The more the scarier/merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That little ‘boo’ shirt is darling and so is the little tot wearing it!!! And that popcorn sounds amazing!!! Love your matching painted toes!! Aria looks like such a big girl in that picture of her in her shirt on the porch. I love all of your little crafts…such great ideas. I’m going to have to do some of these with Mason. Love this post and all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.