Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1

Hey, hey, hey! It is October 7th, so that means it is time for the first Countdown to Halloween link up party. Not sure what it is all about? Go check out this here post for all the details. This is the second year I've hosted this link up, but this year I decided to invite a few friends to help me celebrate the month. Amanda from Tickled Pink, Jamie from Cocktails & Carseats, and Jenny from The Chronicles of We! I'm very excited to see what they and everybody else has been up to this month. So, grab a button, add your post at the bottom, and have fun!

Sweet Turtle Soup

Here is how we have been spending our first few days of October - hint: we've all been sick.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
First day of October, first day of October! I thought it would be fun to stuff Aria's pink pumpkin bucket with a few festive gifts and leave it for her to find in the morning. It was a total hit too, as soon as she saw it she made a beeline for it. Honestly, I couldn't get a picture because she was just a blur. Today she found a pumpkin cup, a new book - Ghosts in the House, a pair of Halloween jammies, and a 'boo' tutu dress. She immediately got me to read her book, and then when she pulled out the jammies she asked me to put those on. Until she found the tutu dress that is and switched her choice to that one.

I also came down with a head cold on October eve. Runny nose, sore throat, everything ached. So we didn't do everything as planned, but we did get a surprising amount done even though I felt rotten and slept every chance I got.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
The dress! I die, it is such a cute number. And, she adored prancing around in it all day.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Then we took a quick trip to the mail box to send off a few Autumn greetings to family and friends. I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I'll save the picture of the cards for another recap.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For breakfast I saved two pumpkin cream cheese muffins in the freezer from a batch I made a few months ago just for the occasion. And, a boo-nana plus nectarine along with milk in her new pumpkin cup.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After breakfast we made pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies. Aria helped me every step of the way. My gosh it took forever, but she was so happy to help. The original plan was to make a batch and send them to work with Chris, but since I was sick and Aria sneezed in the flour mixture twice I figured we should just keep those to ourselves. The top is the before, and the bottom is the after.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Are you thinking....and where is the Halloween? These are egg in a hole with the middle in the shape of a pumpkin. Turns out you can't tell at all after you flip them. You can barely tell from the portion I took out and toasted. It's the thought that counts. p.s. that was lunch.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After Aria woke up from her nap I put on Hocus Pocus for our first viewing of the season! She watched a little bit, but I'm thinking Frozen is still her preferred choice.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
And, while we listened to Hocus Pocus we baked our cookies. Then we ate them! I think between the two of us we polished off 8. Basically we are fans. (Jamie - that 'hidden' Mickey was for you!)
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
When dad got home from work he read more Halloween books while Aria pranced around in her tutu.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For dinner we had tomato basil soup and grilled cheese. Not my favourite, but I added in a handful of cheese and it was a decently yummy grilled cheese dip.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
More pumpkin bucket gifts. Today she got another book - It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse, a second pair of Halloween jams, and a pumpkin shirt. Again she ran right to it when she saw it, and asked to read the book and put on the outfit right away.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Her new pumpkin shirt.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For lunch I made mini quiches and eggs in a nest. Not really a 'fall' activity but I thought the pic of her looking longing at the eggs in a nest was too cute. She helped, and she has her pumpkin shirt on so just pretend for me.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
We made applesauce before nap time, and I popped it in the refrigerator to chill during nap time so that after nap time Aria could enjoy the fruits of her 'labor'. She asked for three helpings.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Another day another pumpkin bucket. Today she got one more new book - Room on the Broom, and a kitty face shirt.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After breakfast we made apple pie bread, and again Aria helped me every step of the way. It was delicious and we made our way through it over the next couple of days.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For dinner I made chicken and dumplings. It was okay, and actually much better the second day. But, kind of ho-hum. The dumplings were good though, might be my favourite dumpling I've made to date. This is my third try and fail at finding a chicken and dumpling recipe, anybody have any great ones for me to try?
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
A repeat of a favourite from last year, our glow stick bath! She kept calling the long necklace ones a straw, and she was so excited about the whole thing. She played with them in her bath and then we played with them during story time before bed too. I picked up a whole bunch from the dollar section at Target so we are ready to go again several times this month.

p.s. Do you notice her rosy chin? She tripped and fell flat out on the little slab of concrete we have out back and broke my heart. She scuffed up her chin but she also poked a few teeth through her lower lip which looked downright awful. This was the night she came down with the sickness I was just getting over, and when I went in because she was crying I thought it might be because her face was sore. But, sadly it was because she couldn't breathe through her little stuffed nose. Not my favourite thing to share with my kid.

p.p.s. Elizabeth from Chasin' Mason got in on some fun glow stick bath action recently too - I was happy to see somebody find an idea that they wanted to do!

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After a rough night and an extra early wake up this is how we spent most of day four. In between throwing up all over herself and me, she got changed (and showered) into her new festive outfit that was in her pumpkin bucket.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
I did find a minute to make a pumpkin smoothie, which was probably the worst thing I've ever tried to drink. blech. I had a few sips before throwing in the towel and tossing that sucker in the trash.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Festive outfit, skunky feeling. We watched more Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Sofia the First today than we had before all put together. Naturally I had Sofia the First's theme song stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Since Aria's temperature just kept rising Chris ran out for some baby Tylenol and pedialyte. She had a dose of red goo and a decent nap and then ended up feeling much better.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
This was toward the end of the day. Just look at the smile. Mom wishes she bounced back as quickly. But, like mom she felt icky again at bed time and started up with a pesky cough. Another dose of baby goo and it wasn't as bad as the first night. Definitely not the start of October that I was envisioning.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
The day that we had a little cool spell! This is my favourite part of October, and we got outside and enjoyed the relief from the heat every chance we got. We lingered around on the porch with the pups for a bit until Aria wanted to get dressed.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Not as excited for the pumpkin head today, hence why she didn't even bother opening it right when she got up. But, the fun books were already all given out and clothing just isn't as exciting to receive. She found her shirt for the day in it though and asked to put it on right away.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
We got dressed, she picked out my outfit - leggings and red top, and then went right back outside. Aria was feeling much better, but her nose was still stuffy so we took it easy.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After daddy woke up (guess who wasn't feeling great when he woke up - yup, Chris) we went out on the front porch to put up the decorations. Aria thought the ladder was her own personal jungle gym and would not stay off of it. So it was definitely slow going getting up the decorations. But, the weather was so nice thankfully. I actually got a start on some of it during nap the day before and I was sweating to death after a few minutes. I should have just waited for that cool snap to hit.

For a look at our decorations take a look at my holiday home tour post!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After finishing up the porch I made Aria a jack o' lantern grilled cheese. Can you see it? I think he needs a few more teeth.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
I also cooked a batch of pumpkin pie pudding and let it cool in the refrigerator during nap time. I thought Aria might want it as her snack, but she took one bite and said 'done'. Guess not! She did however like the ginger snap cookies and had those instead. I actually liked it a lot, but I added too many ginger snap cookie crumbs to the layers because it was too ginger snappy for me.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
And, back outside to enjoy the fleeting nice weather!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Take a look at the (almost) same pose from last year at October =) More hair, definitely more hair.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For dinner I made our favourite crock pot chicken taco chili. Always delicious, and always nice being done with dinner hours before dinner time! p.s. don't drain the tomatoes, and add in a heaping tablespoon of taco seasoning.

Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Chris was full on feeling rotten today so he stayed home from work. We just wouldn't want to leave anybody out from the illness party.

Aria and I were feeling much better so we made pumpkin spice pancakes for breakfast. Aria got annoyed when she thought I wasn't going to let her help, but she was okay after she got to dump and stir things. They were delicious, but we knew that from last year. When it is good, make it often!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
After breakfast Aria finally decided she wanted to open up her pumpkin bucket and she got her last new shirt. So that is the last of the pumpkin bucket gifts, it was fun while it lasted!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Her final new Halloween shirt! We are still working on saying 'trick or treat' though. She sometimes will say 'treat'. And, yes she is walking her dinosaur on a dog leash.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Since we've been under the weather all my fun crafts and activities got pushed to the bottom of the list, so I finally made up some finger paint bags. Aria wasn't as into it as she was with the first set. Best laid plans and all.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For lunch I tried my hand at another jack o' lantern face. More teeth this time, better results. But, it might have been more fun to make a little face on each section I planned to cut because by the time it made it onto Aria's plate you couldn't tell there was a face at all. Or, perhaps two faces and cut it in half.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
I picked up a bag of Halloween yogurt raisins at the store for Aria to festively snack on. She has been loving them.
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
Aria got a super sweet piece of mail from Jamie and Reese over at Cocktails & Carseats. A Halloween shirt, which Reese has one of too. They can be twins! They already share an almost birthday, so it was a very fitting idea. Thank you so much Jamie! It made my day for sure, great timing since everything has been chaotic with the sickness going around. I did manage to get the laundry done so I can't wait to put it on her for day 7!
Sweet Turtle Soup: Countdown to Halloween - Recap #1
For dinner we had worm hot dogs - slice lengthwise four times and boil according to package before tossing them in ketchup, and baked beans. Because you can't have worms with beans! Aria doesn't normally like hot dogs, but she actually ate them in strips like this. I think they are a super fun way to serve a Halloween meal, and I bet kids a bit older would find it nifty.

And, on the sickness front Aria had a really great night - phew, Chris is feeling better but keeps relapsing into feeling rotten - lame, and I haven't gotten rid of my cough yet - lame lame. I have my fingers crossed that by the next recap (next Tuesday, the 14th!) we will be well clear of this hitch in the month and that we've gotten it out of the way for the whole holiday season.

So, tell me! How has your October been going? I definitely hope better than ours thus far. All festive and fun fall things big and small welcome, link up below!


21 comments:

  1. You are amazing for doing all of that through the ick! I could barely think or get out of bed - so tired and my head just hurt! Gosh as always I love so much of what you guys did. Great idea for the Halloween treats! I should have saved her new books for that but I got them out a few weeks ago! Love the comparison photo on the deck - more hair and lots and lots more legs! Love her baking with you and the baby pig tails -- they really work for her! I need to try those pumpkin cookies. And you are totally making me want to try pancakes with Callie again so they are getting added to the list! Thanks for having co-hosts this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I'm so impressed! We haven't accomished one single fall/Halloween activity, boo! I did order Wyatt a pumpkin basket, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I am definitely getting out his Halloween books today while he's at school! Love all the fun baking y'all have done, except the failed pumpkin smoothie. And, of course, I love all of Aria's festive wear! PS. We got our adorable card, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the link-up. I adore the dress!!! I love all the things you got to do with your sweetie. Most of our stuff has to happen on the weekends but I'm soaking up every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There that pumpkin smoothie is, lol so funny. Sorry that it stunk :(.

    I adore everything your decorations, your books, your themed food. Especially the quesadilla I may have to make some of those tonight for the girls. Quesadillas were already on the menu.

    Can't wait t see what you do next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney!!!! I'm convinced you are part human part rock star. You accomplished more on day one than we did all week!!! And to think you were feeling sub par at best is mind blowing! Super cute festive fun!!! I might have to make some of those pumpkin spice pancakes this morning! They sound soooo yummy! Also loved the comparison shot of last year versus this year! Thanks for letting me cohost this super fun party!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl, you've been up to a lot!! I love all the treats and sweets you made, especially being sick. I'm going to be saving a lot of your recipes! Glad you guys are feeling better though. Love that hidden Mickey in the cookies :) Her pigtails are a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e! I love the comparison shot from this year to last too... crazy how much they've changed! So happy you liked the shirt; it was about time they needed something matching ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that little tutu dress is too cute! And that pumpkin pudding parfait thing looks AMAZING! Hope everyone is feeling much better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun ideas! I can't wait to do all those fun things with Hallie when she is old enough! PS I have a REALLY good chicken and dumplings recipe if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man you guys have been busy! Such a festive week though! I love the surprises in the pumpkin bucket idea! So fun! I just may steal that when Grey's stuff finally arrives [thanks USPS!] And can I say that I'm so happy I'm not the only one who lets the little one help bake?! I think it's so fun to do that together & can't wait he wants to do it all the time! She is such a little lady it's adorable! Glad she's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, okay, so I seriously think your the best Mom ever and I'm wondering if you will come live with me?! Seriously. You are amazing!!! Aria is so lucky:) I love the basket full of goodies idea, is it too late for me to do that?! I'm finding it hard to plan a halloween party and here you are doing all sorts of awesome things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel so overwhelmed reading this! You have got it on lock down. Some seriously festive things happening. Tell me you have a themed shirt for every day for the month??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor sick baby :( Fingers crossed there are no more colds for you guys this holiday season! And I love the pumpkin bucket gifts, what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, you are superwoman!! And you guys were sick on top of all of that?? WOW. You get ALL awesome mom points. But seriously, you are amazing. Aria is so lucky to have you! And I love her comparison pictures, too. I remember when Chickie was that young I thought her hair would never grow and then when I went back and looked at her pics a year later, I was like, "Yup, she's sprouted!!" Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. maybe just maybe one day these kids will learn to appreciate the beauty of hocus pocus. . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! So much Halloween fun! You definitely win the over-achiever award! haha :)

    I love all the books and festive clothes - and great idea stuffing them into the pumpkin bucket. I just requested some of those same books from the library so I hope Tory and Aden enjoy reading them as much as Aria.

    Glad you're all feeling better, too. Being sick, especially with kids, is just the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I spotted the Hidden Mickey right away!! :)
    So sorry the start to October wasn't ideal. :( BUT, you went all out, like WOAH! I'm so impressed with all your fun ideas and food. So.much.fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry you all have been sick! She is cracking me up walking that dinosaur! Thank you for hosting the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy smokes! You don't mess around when it comes to celebrating Halloween. I love how creative you are at meal time. I feel like we have the same 10 - 12 things over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just loving all of her festive outfits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, I don't even know where to start! I love this whole post so much!
    She is just the cutest! I love how she will smile for you in all your pictures. Whenever I try to take a picture of Mason now, he grabs my phone and turns on Mickey. Umm, kid... I was trying to take a picture...
    I love her cup! Did you get it at Target?
    I literally laughed out loud when you said that Aria sneezed in the flour...twice... so you couldn't give the cookies to Chris' work. I feel bad laughing since she was probably getting sick but, it is kinda funny... I imagine the flour flying everywhere and her saying "whoa!"
    Homemade apple sauce? We better start making wedding arrangements because Mason is in love with apple sauce and would love for you to be his mother in law and make it every night for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness... supermama!! Love all the little details!!! And girlfriend is styling in all her fall wear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.