Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Aria and the Lizards

Sweet Turtle Soup: Aria and the Lizards
We practically have a lizard farm thriving on the back porch. The dogs use to chase them, but I guess they are getting useless complacent in their old age. Aria has now taken up the charge of head lizard hunter. But where the dogs wanted to chew them up just a wee bit (you know, just enough to mangle them but not enough to kindly kill the dang things) Aria wants to hold them.

I caught a little one for her weeks ago and I set it in her hand, where it stayed for all of 2 seconds. I guess the memory stuck because now when she sees one she runs over to it holding out her hand and demanding 'in'. So far not a single one has decided to just hop on her palm for a cuddle. That doesn't dampen her spirit though. I wonder when she will learn the lesson that the big ones bite. Probably not for a while, seeing as how they are zippy little suckers.

Update: all her little dreams came true after dinner last night. I caught a tiny lizard for her and she got to hold it for a few seconds before we put him in a flower pot.

And, another aside...while we were at Epcot this past weekend she saw the gators on the Living with the Land boat ride and held out her arms and said 'in'. Those lizards sure do grow up big.

Anyway, I just think it is the funniest thing to watch and we go out lizard hunting on the regular. Naturally I caught a little bit of it on video, check it out below!

p.s. Happy October 1st! This means I can finally dive into my Countdown to Halloween link up party. So many festive things to do, so many delicious things to bake. Don't forget to link up any and all of your Countdown to Halloween fun on October 7th, next Tuesday.

Linking up with Ashley at Words About Waverly and Jess at Sadie Sky Boutique:
littlethingslogo

20 comments:

  1. Haha cute! I love what she said on the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She's brave! I trapped one under a glass last night until my husband could come home and take it outside! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that video - she's so cute saying 'in!' and chasing them around. Funny that she said that to the alligators too, haha. Kids are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In!" HA! She can come chase the lizards we have around here. Sometimes they'll get IN our house, and I just cannot handle that. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! That's so funny that she demands they jump on her hand to cuddle! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet!! I love how fearless these girls are with a little reassurance from mom! Too cute about the gators. Sorry Aria, doubt it'll get "in" your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brave little cutie... can you imagine a gator in your hand--- I would FREAK out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess Wyatt's out of luck, ha! Mama won't be handing him a lizard anytime soon. ;) Maybe daddy will make that happen. That's so cute that she loves them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brave little girl! And mommy for catching it. Because. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lizards seem way safer than the BEES that have invaded our backyard. Callie wants to catch them - I blame it all on that Micky Mouse episode with "buzz buzz" the bee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, one of my fears, stepping on a lizard while taking the trash out...shutter! You are better than I picking him up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha. jump into her hand for a cuddle. . .i love her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg... that is the cutest. I am so envious of you for living in Fl and being able to hop over to disney HOWEVER I am not sure I could handle the lizards. I definitely would need a head lizard hunter. Props to you for being a great mama and catching them for her. Also, I had no idea that the bigger ones bite. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness she is so brave! Haha! Not being from Fl, I find them soooo creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable! Our cat would hunt them when we lived in Arizona, so there were always dead lizards on our back porch... So gross!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, that is awesome. She is awesome and brave and everything I am not :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, she is such a character!! It will be so funny to watch our girls grow and learn to hate bugs, lizards and things that slither! I remember the days that I was obsessed with bug hunting.... and now you can't pay me to touch a bug.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! And you are a rockstar mom for catching a lizard! I seriously run away at the sight of the tiniest bug. I don't think I could handle catching a lizard! Might need you for reinforcements when Mason decides to pick up something I'm terrified of and bring it in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aubrey was trying to chase the lizards when we were in Florida. She was obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so good about taking video! I need to remember to do this more often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.