Monday, October 13, 2014

5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!

5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Holiday season has officially started in my book! We hold a Canadian Thanksgiving party every year and invite our friends over to eat, eat, and eat. I'm in an exhausted slug state now, but I also don't have to cook ever again - or at least the next three/four days until I get bored of leftovers.

This year we added a new baby to the mix, last year it was two babes, and the year before was a growing baby bump. Next year even more! It is amazing to watch all our families grow like this, and it is really fun this year to see the eldest two run around together. I can't even picture the fantastic chaos when all the kids will be able to play together.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
This year these two settled for playing with each other. They especially enjoyed running around the backyard. Apparently there was a super cute hand holding moment that I missed when I went to grab something back inside. Shucks.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
This was last year's Canadian Thanksgiving party. Not as rambunctious...or dirty. Aria came back in with black feet and dirt under her nails this year, while last year nobody knew how to walk yet. Oh the changes that happen in the span of a year.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
And, then it was time to eat - only ten minutes behind schedule too. We had a top notch spread this year: roast turkey with pears and sage along with the one and only time I've ever made successful gravy from drippings, stuffing not from a box (also a first), broccoli cheese casserole, mashed potatoes, creamy crock pot mac & cheese, corn with bell pepper butter (without my food processor it didn't turn out well), cranberry sauce, bread and cinnamon butter, apples with caramel dip, and deviled eggs. I'm full just thinking about it. There were also all sorts of seasonal pumpkin beer, hard cider, hot apple cider with caramel apple vodka, and honey meade. This year's cider was the best I've made yet, and the vodka was a delicious touch.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
That face!
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Aria was mesmerized watching Rory eat. It is like she was thinking wow other tiny humans do this too, amazing!
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Hey, look - I was there too.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Then back outside for more dirty feet and finger nails. Actually, I think this is when the hand holding moment occurred. I missed it either way.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
 These two, always with the cute.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
Last year's cute.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
It isn't Thanksgiving, Canadian or otherwise, without dessert. This year I went with mini pumpkin cheesecakes and caramel apple cheesecake bars. The cheesecakes are always delicious, but the cheesecake bars were even better - it was like apple crisp, cheesecake, and a sugar cookie rolled into one.
5th Annual Canadian Thanksgiving Party!
And, we survived! 5 days of cleaning, 3 days of food prep, and 1 really yummy party. Can't wait to do it again next year, and also next month minus the party but with the Macy's Parade and hopefully chilly weather.

I hope you had a fantastic weekend whether you made a turkey or not =)

p.s. Don't forget that tomorrow is the second link up in the Countdown to Halloween party!

13 comments:

  1. Chilly weather in Florida? Guess a girl came dream. Looks like a ton of food! And fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that looks like a blast. ALL of that food, WOW. I think I may need to try those cheesecake squares soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks delicious!! So many recipes I need to save :) I love seeing pictures from last year - small babies! I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving this year- I know Reese will love all the food and be more 'into' it than last year. Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!!! All the babies are super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you all had such a good time and such good good food! I always wished our thanksgiving was in October too; that way, after halloween we could get right into the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HORRAY for Canadian thanksgiving!! Since us kids all have other things to do on American thanksgiving my mom has dubbed Canadian thanksgiving HERS (we are canadian so it works). I LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! We try to do a friends Thanksgiving too, but not sure if timing will work out this year...darn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome and the food looks so delicious especially the desserts! I can't wait for Thanksgiving now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you celebrate Canada's Thanksgiving. I mean, why not?! I'll take every reason in the book to have a huge feast. And dessert. Give me all those delicious desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. pear & sage turkey?! that makes me want to eat turkey! and those pumpkin cheesecake desserts sound amazing! oh wait so does crockpot Mac & cheese! I wish I lived near by you make the best food! Looks like a really fun party and so awesome the babies are toddlers and can play this year! Oh and yay for pumpkin beers! Did you mix one with cider?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy moly girl. Where was I yesterday and why wasn't I at your house? Look at all that deliciousness! That pumpkin cheesecake bites and the caramel apple cheesecakes? YUM. And cinnamon butter? I may need to try that. Looks like you guys had such a fun time!!!! But one last question... next year's festivities will include more babies?? Is this a hint at a future announcement?!?! =P

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun party! Happy (belated) Canadian Thanksgiving! All of that food…goodness gracious! Looks delicious. Now I am even more ready for Thanksgiving!!! Love the family picture of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS – I was wondering the same thing as the comment above my first comment. :)))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.