Friday, September 19, 2014

Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated

Remember when I mentioned we were doing a Paleo reset this month? Yup, yup, still doing it. Minus the chocolate pumpkin bread I made the other night and all the bread I stuffed my face with after I ran Jenny and Desiree's Virtual 5k. I'm surprised it's been going so well though. However, I could totally go for a huge cheese pizza and french fries with a ton of ketchup. I haven't been perfect, but even that is impressive for me. Just call me Courtney the-one-with-no-self-control! Chris is doing fine, whatever. He is a robot.

I thought I would share a few of the recipes that have been not so terrible, almost pretty good (but could probably be even better with cheese...dammit). And, really compared to some of the others we've tried they are amazing. Hidden vegetable Paleo meatloaf? I think we all almost hurled trying that one. And, I've completely given up on trying to make Paleo baked goods. I'm 99% sure that that is what they serve in hell. Go home fake bread thing you are drunk.

Anyway, here are 5 of the good ones!

Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated
To make the recipe Paleo just don't add greek yogurt and use nut butter instead of peanut butter. I've tried I don't know how many recipes for the same thing, and this one is my favourite. I also add a pinch of cinnamon. Smoothies have been a staple during this whole Paleo thing the past several weeks.
Another fave is frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, vanilla almond milk, coconut water, and a wee bit of honey.

Almond Butter and Banana
Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated
Another staple has been bananas with almond butter. Aria and I usually start the day by splitting a banana. Aria prefers hers without the nut butter, but doesn't mind a lick from the spoon occasionally. At first I thought almond butter tasted dry like sawdust, but now I'm semi obsessed.

Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated
I think I've made this once a week since we started doing Paleo. It is yummy, the only thing missing is cheese.  I skip the sweet potato and add a bell pepper. Makes great leftovers for Chris in the morning before he goes off to work.

 Fajita Salad
Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated
I saw a fajita salad recipe on pinterest, but it wasn't paleo so I just made it up. Grill some chicken. Grill onions and bell peppers. Add them to lettuce and top with salsa. 
I ended up liking this a lot more than I thought I would, especially the salsa instead of dressing bit. I'm a total ranch girl, but this really hit the spot.

Oh Hey, Friday: 5 Paleo Recipes I Haven't Hated
I would make this every other day if Chris would let me, and if you could have potatoes that often following Paleo. They are a 'limited' food. I've been making this since before my nutty Paleo idea, and it is delicious. Honestly, add this one to your menu next week.

Linking up with:

13 comments:

  1. You make Paleo look doable sure sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fritatta looks great!!! How's your little peanut? Shes so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try almond butter. I am a total fan of a banana with a huge scoop of peanut butter on every single bite. I think I would like almond butter even more.

    Also I may just need to make a smoothie for breakfast now, that looks so good.

    Happy Friday friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been interested in Paleo, but not sure if I could do it currently. I'd miss my baked goods like you :) Oh, and pizza. These look like great recipes though, minus the banana. I can't stand bananas. Give me banana bread or something banana-flavored and I'm good, but I can't stand the texture of eating one plain. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Love the title to this post. I'm in the same boat with you. My hubby is a robot and I want all the sweets and treats. We probably need a little paleo reset, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha! Girl! I have no self control as well! I can't just cut everything out though... I have to work it down slowly! The good news? I don't buy bread or chips anymore, so there's that ;)
    I saw a friend that was doing paleo top their salad with salsa instead of dressing as well and now I LOVE to do that! Yum! Hope you find more recipes you love! I've perfected the sweet potato chips if you need a good side dish! I tried doing fries for so long and they either turned out soggy, or burnt. So chips it is! Slice them as thin as you can, toss in avocado oil with sea salt and pepper (and minced garlic, depending on how lazy I am, sometimes I do this, sometimes not) lay separately on tin foil covered cookie sheet (I don't spray with oil because it's been tossed in a tiny bit of oil. too much oil makes it hard for them to crisp) it's fairly easy to do this without them touching, but if it's a bigger potato they can over lap because they shrink, so when you flip them the won't be touching anymore. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then flip them and I check them every 5 minutes after that (until 15 minutes) and take out the ones that look like they are going to burn. That sounds like a pain but it's not because I let Mia eat the ones that are finished early.... she's begging for food at that point anyway so it tides her over until we sit down to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made the potato/sausage for dinner and it's a big hit with everyone. I just wish potatoes weren't so "bad" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice!! Good recipes/options. I eat primarily gluten free and Paleo-ish on occasion. I truly believe it will make any/everyone feel better, all around. Hope you are enjoying some GOOD benefits from the change. :) With Pinterest these days, there are unlimited sources for ideas/inspiration. Good luck!! (I think it gets easier the longer you eat this way.) But of course pizza always sounds good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure this title really sells the Paleo diet ;) Those recipes all look good though! I love bananas + almond butter as a dessert when I'm trying to cut back on sugar (which I'm technically trying to do all the time, just usually not very successfully). And I love salsa as dressing too, taco salads are my fave :) Good job sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last one looks yummy!!! Happy weekending, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look so good.... and now I am officially hungry. hehhe :)

    ~ Lu
    xx
    http://littlestepsbigheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fritatta and skillet look super good! I might have to try those. I tried to do Paleo for like a minute and then decided that I liked eating and have no self control or time or energy to actually look whats in my food and make sure I can eat that. I am a bad dieter! But so badly want to go on a diet and stick to it and have some results. If you can post some more recipes, I might just be able to try this diet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That veggie frittata - get in my belly!
    The whole Paleo thing has me terrified. I'm pretty sure I couldn't go a day without bread or cheese. Give me all of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.