Friday, August 8, 2014

Oh Hey, Friday: What I Love...

The 5 things I love about Chris as a dad

1. The other night after putting Aria to sleep I turned on the video monitor only to find that the signal couldn't be found. I pissed and moaned for a few minutes because I enjoy my baby stalking, and it felt so weird not being able to peek over at Aria randomly throughout the evening. Not too long afterwards Chris is coming back in the room and it works. I asked if we had just forgotten to push the on button. He said no the plug had wiggled out, so he had to pop off the baby proof box, which is right next to Aria's head and makes a loud popping sound, and replug it in before popping the box back in place. I love that he is willing to sneak into the nursery so I can baby stalk Aria all night.

2. I love that Chris takes Aria to the park almost every day after he gets home from work. Aria and I only make it outside right when we get up because it is just too hot even right after breakfast, so we are stuck inside with the air conditioning during the summer. But, by the time Chris gets home from work it is starting to get slightly more bearable so he will take her to go walk, run, and play some energy off while I usually get started on dinner.

3. Chris works 11 hour days Monday to Thursday (and an 8 hour on Friday), but he has the ability to break up his hours and come home after Aria's nap and stay until bedtime. So, he will come home for a few hours to spend time with Aria, have a family dinner, help with her bedtime routine, and give her a kiss goodnight before heading back for his remaining hours. I love that spending quality time as a family is more important to him than the convenience of getting work over and done with in a single chunk of hours.

4. I love that he enjoys books. He reads Aria all the books she can bring him over and over. He reads books just for himself. And, we read from a chapter book to Aria as part of her bedtime routine every night. Right now we are reading Harry Potter and I think we all look forward to it as part of our evening. I'm the narrator and Chris is Aria's jungle gym. You'd think she wasn't paying any attention to my reading by the way she runs around from her pillow, to the rocking moose, to my lap, to Chris' lap, etc. But, when I stop reading she turns toward me and signs for more. So, I assume she at least enjoys the sound of my voice. And, Chris is always a little bummed when the chapter is a short one...you're done already? maybe you should read a little bit more.

5. And, I love that he has always wanted to be a 'girl dad'. He isn't afraid of putting her hair up, or of trying to match her outfits, or of the new nail polish that we need to buy monthly, or of scaring off any potential boyfriends in the future. He also doesn't treat her like she is a fragile doll, is constantly teaching her to love nature, and can't wait to get her in a kayak.

Linking up with:
Momfessionals

17 comments:

  1. You are Aria are so lucky that Chris is a good Dad. I'm appalled at how many men are not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. As the mom of 2 girls I LOVE #5. So awesome to see guys getting the hang of some of the girly things out of a love for their girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so sweet!! Big ups to the great dads like Chris holding it down and taking care of their families. He's a keeper for sure! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I love how your husband adjusts his work hours so he can spend time with you two in the evenings. And, love #5 -- my husband's the same way, he's teaching our daughter to do all kinds of outdoorsy things he would've done with a son ... ATVing, boating, catching frogs. It's so awesome to see the men we love embrace being a dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a keeper there. So cool how he can come home and do family stuff before going back to work, dedication. I totally baby stalk on the video monitor...my 3.5 year still has one and my husband tells me, you know you can't keep that in there forever...I can't?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. Chris is an amazing dad and it sounds like he and Aria have such a sweet relationship. Love that he does the girly stuff as well as the outdoorsy stuff. I remember playing outside and going camping with my dad, and those are some of my favorite childhood memories. Pretty sure my dad never did my hair though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and tribute to your hubby!! Those men work so hard and they need to be reminded how thankful we are for them! You definitely snagged yourself a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful post in honor of Chris. I love that he rocks being a girl dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww what a cute post! You all are such a sweet family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!!!! And what a wonderful family you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sweet! What a good daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! He's such a great daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so sweet! What a wonderful daddy! I love this post.
    (side note : what does Chris do that he has to work 11 hours a day? that is awful and long...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet- what an amazing dad and husband! I cannot imagine having the energy to go back to work after baby bedtime! Just wow. That's really adorable that you already have family reading traditions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, what a sweet post! Such a good daddy and husband.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you did for this post! Super sweet, and a great idea for the Friday favorites :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.