Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer Bucket List #2 - sweet treats

It is officially officially summer! I had the idea to throw a Summer Desserts and Drinks party last summer, but never got around to it. So, this year I thought it would be something fun to host on the first day of summer. Although, technically it was on the second day of summer because schedules and what not. Close enough.
 
I whipped up an invite with picmonkey.

I made a huge to-do list - 3 hour party....3 days of prep!

I made some sweet treats - lemons bars and strawberry pretzel salad.

And, some fun drinks - raspberry moscato sangria and watermelon lemonade.

Then everybody showed up.
 Aria wasn't so sure about sharing her broom.

There was eating.
 The lemon bars were like a punch in the face with lemon, I literally had a lemon hangover at the end of the party. And, the strawberry pretzel salad is a long time favourite that is perfect for the summer. There was also ice cream cake and orange cake.
Aria was a fan of all of the above.

And, drinking.
I thought the watermelon lemonade was much too tart, and the sangria was gone so quickly I didn't even get the chance to try it. I'm thinking that means I need to make it again so I can have a taste, Chris said it was delicious.

There was a blob, which was so much fun it deserves its own post.

There was shoe stealing.

 There was a life sized board game.
I got the idea from The 36th Avenue, but brought it inside (because hot). For something so simple it was a lot of fun, and I will definitely be repeating down the road - perfect rainy day activity with minimal effort.
 I didn't make a large set of dice, and instead just grabbed one from a game we already had. Since we have tiles in the living room I just used painters tape and a sharpie to number a path. Then stuck sticky notes to the tiles with instructions...move forward 2, go back to #7, do the chicken dance, sign elephant, freeze until your next turn, etc. At the end each person got to pop a balloon for their prize, which I'm bummed I didn't get a picture of.
We went with mini liquor bottles as a prize, and Aria helped pop the balloons and distribute the bottles...she gave them all to our pregnant friend. Apparently she just looked thirsty!

And, there was summer bingo.
I did a search for 'free summer bingo' and found this one. I printed them off in black and white, because my printer never has colour ink. And, Chris picked up a pack of stickers on one of our many store runs.
Aria was our tile picker.
But, she soon grew tired of such tediousness.
The bingo prizes - patriotic twizzlers and silly putty. Leave it to Aria to turn silly putty into a really messy activity - she pulls it apart until it turns into spider web thin wisps, which she gets all over.

I love having people over, and Aria was being extra friendly...after she warmed up to the idea of guests. It is hard to beat good friends and sweet treats!
Your turn! How is your summer bucket list coming along?
post signature

19 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. Can you do a review of your planner? I've been looking at that one.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like everyone had lots of fun! Need your sangria recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you've thought of of everything!! No stone left unturned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! This looks like so much fun!!! Nicely done!! ;) I only wish I were near enough that I could've been there to kick off Summer with you! Glad you guys had such a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome party!!! I love the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink and orange theme you had goin' on! Definitely will have to try those 2 drink mixes- they sound yummy. And thanks for the pic of the twizzlers - I LOVE the multi-flavored kind, so will need to put those on my shopping list! And I must know more about this 'blob'... what is it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we be neighbors???? And were did you get the RED WHITE and BLUE Twizzlers???
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun party!! And I LOVE lemon bars! Idk why, but my Aunt always makes them around Christmas, so that's what they remind me of! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! It looks like you had so much fun. I am thinking a summer play date is a must that WILL happen next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many fun ideas! I love the life size board game and all the food. Yay summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your party looks like it was a blast!! My mom and I are drooling over your sangria! We are seriously contemplating making it soon (like, this weekend).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome!!! Wish I was invited:( The party looks so fun! The "water blob" is also one our summer to do list;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun party!!! I agree-wish I was your neighbor, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! What a fun idea and a fun party! I pin soooooo many things on Pinterest that it would be so fun to have some sort of party like this and actually make what I pin. I was going to ask how the sangria was (because I'm always looking for a new sangria recipe!) but I guess you answered my question. I'll based on Chris' answer that it was good and make it myself. YUM. Can't wait! What kind of moscato did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa!! You did an excellent job! How fun does that look. I bet the little ones had a blast too. I hope you guys are having a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so awesome to do! I'm lucky if we even have a barbecue here! What exactly is in the strawberry pretzel salad? I'm curious! Aria looked like the perfect co-hostess to your party! Great post, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  17. no lie. this is the cutest party idea EVER! i love celebrating fun things LIKE SUMMER!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a CUTE party! Love it. All of it. What kind of planner do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you threw a start of summer party - great idea! Lemon bars yum!! And I LOVE that little ruffle skirt on Aria -- she looks so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.