Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day-after! A definite thank you to all the service men and women who have, do, and will put their lives on the line to protect our freedom. They make such a big sacrifice for all of us, and it is certainly appreciated every day of the year. But, I won't turn down a three day weekend when one comes along either. It was super nice to have Chris home for two days...since his normal weekend is only one day. Plus, he worked 35 hours of overtime last week so Aria and I barely saw him for a while there. So, it was a nice treat to spend some time together for more than 3 hours in a row.

On Sunday we went to Disney's Hollywood Studios with Aria's great-grandma. And, I'm sure I'll do a post on that soon. We saw Chewbacca by the way, he was awesome.

On Monday we went with the traditional grill and relax route, with some water thrown in.
 
I've been meaning to get Chris to pull out the pool Aria's godfather gave us (when he upgraded to the real thing) and give it a good wash so we could fill her up and cool off.  What better day than Memorial Day to finally remember! Loved it, and Aria only drank about a third of it. I foresee many after-nap-noons spent in a similar manner.
 
I've been looking forward to big juicy summer watermelon since we ate our last one last year. We spotted one at the grocery and immediately put that baby in our cart. Nothing says summer to me more than cold watermelon.

Aria agrees.

After our watermelon break we went back for some more water play until somebody took a poo in their pants. It wasn't me. After a nice hose off and dry clothes, we went inside to watch Frozen and bake corn and wedges.

The ribs were falling apart delicious, just how I like em. And, I can't believe I always boiled corn growing up...baked corn is so much easier and 100 times tastier. I've been doing it that way for a few years now and haven't looked back.

Aria sure enjoyed it. I helped her pick all the good stuff off her ribs and she cleaned her corn cob like a pro. I found almost all of her wedges shoved down the side of her high chair though so I don't think she was a fan. I also don't think she's been this messy in a while.
 p.s. Dessert was a brownie sundae (after bedtime)!
 
I hope everybody had a great long weekend, but I'm sorry if it didn't involve Chewbacca it just wasn't as cool as mine! ;)
post signature

19 comments:

  1. What a great day! We just got an inflatable pool ourselves and I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun relaxing weekend :) Lia has the same bathing suit. Not quite warm enough for that here yet but its coming this week!! We had our first (great) watermelon this weekend too - it sounds like our weekend was very similar -except no Chewbacca for us.
    Hope you have a great week
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man if this doesn't scream summer I don't know what does! And Aria looks like she's totally digging her dinner haha :) so cute. I also sometimes think what a good eater Aiden is being only to find most of it stuffed down the high chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun! And, love Aria's swimsuit! Glad you had a chance to relax with your husband and everyone together - 35 hours overtime is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ribs look delish! I love those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a tad envious that your long weekend included a trip to Disney :) Sounds like you had some great family time though. We have that same inflatable pool and can't wait to use it this summer. Not gonna lie, we partly bought that one because it was big enough for adults too. Those ribs and corn look soooo good; I should really stop reading blogs at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, whoa, WHOA!! How do you do baked corn?? Sounds WAY better than boiling!!
    Oh my gosh, Aria's swimsuit is ADORABLE! I'm dying to set up our tiny baby pool! Did she do okay in the pool, or slip a lot? Ours will be on concrete and I'm super nervous about the bottom being to slippery and having Mia land a little too hard since it's not grass underneath, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun weekend! I love your pool, haha! My kids have a hard sided pool about that size but I never thought to actually go in it - but now I'm going to!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we ate plenty of watermelon and corn on the cob yesterday too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pool is awesome!! WOW! way more fun than our baby pool! I need a brownie sundae like NOW! what a fun holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 35 hours of overtime?! That should be illegal! Wait, I think it is. Well in CA it is. Unless you get OT then its amazing for your wallet. Or unless you're like me and are salary, then it's just illegal without being illegal. Anyways. Your weekend looked amazing! And YAY for an extra day with daddy home! Also, that pool looks super fun and Aria looked like she thoroughly enjoyed her dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the pic of all of you in the pool - hysterical!! It looks like you guys had a great weekend. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY!.. for extra days in with the Mister! Your weekend looks fabulous. I am totally jealous of your pool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want that pool and i really want your swim suit!! SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perfect three-day weekend!
    Backyard inflatables are the way to go. We spend MANY afternoons doing the same thing, and the sleeping post-swim is always wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey we did ribs on Sunday, so good! I always forget to take pictures of our food, we're always digging in before I can snap a picture! Yours looks GOOD!

    How do you bake your corn on the cob? I'm allergic to corn so we never have it, but would be good to know for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a perfect cookout!!! Loving the pictures of y'all in the pool together!!!! So sweet!! Y'all know how to parrrrrtay! Watermelon, ribs, and corn! The real tastes of summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad your cute family enjoyed such a fantastic Memorial Day! What a mouthwatering meal too!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the pictures of you three!! And your shorts….SO cute! The pool looks so refreshing!! I love that you got pictures of all of y’all in the pool. Okay, share your tips on baking the corn. I’ve never baked it. And you are so lucky that Aria eats the same meal as y’all. Mason is Mr. Picky McPickerston to the max!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.