Thursday, May 29, 2014

Disney Trip #2 - [Day 4] Mother's Day with Mickey and Friends

Chef Mickey's, Magic Kingdom, Mother's Day at Disney World
 
Walt Disney World Resort
  Happy Mother's Day!!
 
I really wanted to do a character dining on our trip, and I finally settled on Chef Mickey's because it is classic. I was a little apprehensive about how Aria would react to the characters coming and saying hello. It was either going to be really awkward or awesome.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
It was awesome!
 
Walt Disney World Resort
  First, the buffet is incredible. I barely made a dent in it and couldn't even get past one plate because the potatoes were so good I couldn't stop eating them! My foraging strategy was terrible. But, I am determined to do better next time. When can we go back, Chris!?
 
Walt Disney World Resort
Second, Aria loved seeing the characters. She would get excited when she would spot one on the level below us and get a little annoyed when they were too slow coming over to our table.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
But, they eventually made their way over and she was super curious about them. She'd touch them with her syrupy hands and let them pat her shoulder or hand.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
Plus, she stuffed her face and ate way more than mom could manage.

Walt Disney World Resort
When we got back home and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse again she fan girl-ed over Donald. I wonder if he was her favourite. It was pretty cute seeing her recognize the cartoons after she saw the characters in person, she never much cared for the show prior to our trip.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
Pluto is my favourite!
 
Walt Disney World Resort
She started breaking out the kisses by the end of our breakfast too. It just didn't get any cuter.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
We were just finishing up when Goofy made his way over. So we got to see all of Mickey and friends.
 
Walt Disney World Resort
Can't leave without a kiss for Goofy!
 
I went through her entire pack of hand wipes because I was trying to keep her from dirtying up character faces, and she was trying to stuff more strawberries in her mouth.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Contemporary, Chef Mickey's
I love this picture. We are downstairs in the bathroom at Chef Mickey's so I could clean Aria up of pancake syrup and annoy her by putting sunscreen all over her. She is holding my flower and asking me to pick her up, it just makes me smile every time I see it.
 
I've only had two Mother's Days so far, but this one was definitely my favourite. I got a pink carnation at Chef Mickey's and got to meet Pluto and got to watch my little girl enjoy her first character experience. And, I didn't even realize it was Mother's Day when I booked this dining reservation months ago. It was just good luck!
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Contemporary, Chef Mickey's
Chef Mickey's is one floor down and like 20 feet away from the monorail...we got lost coming and going. It was just a super quick lost though, nothing serious.
 
After stuffing ourselves at Chef Mickey's we monorail-ed it over to Magic Kingdom where we spent the last day of our trip.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
I got another carnation when we got to Magic Kingdom too. Disney always knows how to do the little special touches.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
While Chris was doing something with his Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, Aria and I watched the Dapper Dans.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
  Main Street USA us-ie.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA
  Cinderella's Castle us-ie.
 
I thought Aria was about to pass out when we got into the park, so I tried to let her fall asleep in the stroller. We started to walk to do Chris' card game but when she just kept hanging on we double backed and hit up our fastpass+.  On day 1 we went straight, and day 2 we went left, so day 4 we went right.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
Our first fastpass+ was Buzz Lightyear. Aria was in control of the spinning and she helped me shoot things too. We got a whole 6000 or something, don't be jealous. 
 
I just noticed that the picture says galactic hero under me and star cadet under Chris, is it suppose to give you your rank or is it just willy nilly? Because, 6000 does not make one a galactic hero. Just saying.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
Next up we hopped on the TTA People Mover. It was definitely a busy day because even that had a line. Aria refused to sit on the seat, but she did enjoy being tossed about when we went around a corner. I told her she wasn't in the best spot for people watching, but she didn't care.
 
At this point Aria was definitely showing signs of being overtired, but she wouldn't sit in the stroller so we let her run around in a less populated corner of Fantasyland for a bit before we decided to try one more ride.
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
Since the Carousel's line is a pretty quick one and the ride is one of Aria's favourites I figured we could squeeze it in before completely melting down from lack of a nap.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
It worked for at least half the ride.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
But, by the end she just wanted mommy to hold her.
 
So, I tried the stroller one more time and told her it was time for a nap and that she needed to stay horizontal (because she always listens to mama so well).
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
And, it worked this time!
 
Definitely the worst nap day of the trip. She was fighting it and getting pretty grumpy about everything in general, but exhaustion seems to always win in the end. Chris and I breathed a collective sigh of relief. That and we slowly meandered around the Hundred Acre Goods shop (cute name, huh?) where there was air conditioning. We also snagged Aria a new book too. I've discovered books are one of my favourite souvenirs because the price is the same out of Disney as it is in Disney, and Aria loves books!
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Disney World Parades
After we cooled down for a few minutes I realized the Festival of Fantasy Parade would be starting any minute and we hot tailed it over to Frontierland to snag a spot to watch it from. When parents stand their kids in front of me it makes me want to stab people. Luckily a cast member yelled at them shortly thereafter. It is so very rude. This is probably why I don't normally watch parades, I get hostile.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Disney World Parades
  It was totally worth it though because I loved all the floats.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Disney World Parades
They were colourful.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Disney World Parades
  And, creative. 
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Disney World Parades
  And, perfectly magical.
 
The dragon was the coolest. I didn't snap a picture because I was videoing that bit in hopes of catching the fire breathing, which I did...so if you want to see that check out today's video below! The Tangled float was also super awesome, and in the video fyi.
 
 Aria missed the whole parade, but woke up not too long after it was over while we were checking out Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe where there was more air conditioning, and this time air conditioning that smelled like a Christmas tree - total bonus.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
I'm really enjoying the new fastpass+ system, but I also suck at guesstimating when to set times to accommodate Aria's nap. I felt like I was glued to my Disney app changing fastpass+ times at every bathroom stop.
 
But, I scheduled this one correctly and we used a fastpass+ to go on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride. Aria absolutely loved bouncing with Tigger. I'd say this was another of her favourites.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
  Next up was Dumbo! We used a fastpass+ again but I think there was a kid area in the regular line that we missed. I'm not sure I haven't been since it was relocated and updated, but Chris was all bummed. Anybody know what's under the tent?
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
So, I was in bed the day before (during Aria's nap) fiddling around with our fastpass+ selections and thought I'd see if there were any reservations for an early dinner at Magic Kingdom for the next day. And, what popped up but a reservation at the perfect time for Be Our Guest. You should know that these things fill up almost the minute they are available, so I snagged that thing quick.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
I was so excited to get a chance to see inside, because the lunch line just seemed so long every time we walked by...and I hate lines. It is even more gorgeous in person, and The Beast walks through the rooms periodically to thunderous applause, which was super fun too.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
Of course, about 3 minutes at the table and Aria melts down. The biggest one of the whole trip. Chris and I wanted to fade from sight, thankfully it was so loud in there I doubt the people two tables away even heard. We were trying to distract her and calm her down so Chris grabbed out the raisins and she went to town gobbling those up. Isn't it funny how cute and happy they can be one second and then how loud and unreasonable they can be the next? (and by funny I mean nutso) Luckily the raisins worked and she snacked on our dinners when they came too.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
I got the potoato and leek soup to start, and then the pork rack chop for dinner. All of it was perfect. Chris got the mussels to start, and then the lamb rack for dinner. He said the lamb was second only to his favourite lamb which he use to get in DC (but isn't even available anymore). So, I suppose it is pretty good!
 
BTW, Aria and I have the same excited but also really tired smile.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
The bread was also really good, Aria had like three rolls.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
My favourite part. We ordered so many the waiter had to go back for more plates. We tried the chocolate cream puff, the lemon meringue cupcake, and the strawberry cream cheese cupcake. I think my favourite was the strawberry, but it was a hard choice they were all tasty.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
After our huge meal we wandered around to the other rooms to take a peak, and contemplated saying hi the The Beast but didn't really want to wait in that long line. I was going for 'let's not piss the toddler off anymore'.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
We did stop and visit with sad gargoyle though. Anybody else notice the crazy eyes?
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Be Our Guest, Disney Dining
  Aria and I tried to break open the lock to see where the stairs would lead but no such luck.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Cinderella's Castle
A quick castle us-ie before heading off to the circus.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
Aria was ridiculously clingy to me by day 4 so I handed her off to dad and then hid. She's totally fine if she can't see me. Chris took her over to play in the water, which I thought would be a big hit but she was just too tired by that point.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
  This cute little girl almost talked her into playing, but Aria just wasn't having it. I think next time we will hit this up earlier in the day and hopefully wear her out for that nap better.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom, Rides of Disney World
We hopped on the train in Fantasyland and did the whole loop before hopping back off at Main Street USA. Aria made friend's with a young girl in front of us who gave her her flower lei.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
Saying good bye to Main Street USA, and one last us-ie.

Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
The ferry is my favourite so I picked that as our transportation back to the parking lot.
 
Walt Disney World Resort, Magic Kingdom
I think she ended up having one magical vacation, even if there were some super overtired bits. Disney wears everybody out.
 
We made it back to the car and assumed she would pass out in about 4 seconds, but no. She decided to scream for around an hour. At least she was easy to transfer from the car to her crib once we got home. Silver linings.
 
And, the last video from Disney Trip #2!

Thanks for reliving the magic with me for all 4 days!

post signature

17 comments:

  1. Courtney -
    Looks like so much FUN! (and exhausting!) I can't wait until we can get Lia there. A few more years and maybe! You are SO lucky to get to visit there so much and you are as close as you are.
    The video was great. Loved it
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO MUCH FUN! i hope lex is as good natured when it comes to the characters as aria is! she keeps talking about letting mickey hold her. . . but lets see what game time brings :) did you guys need a vacation from your vacation? because this looks like too much fun for a few days to hold. i need to get to disneyworld STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "us-ie", HA! Love that term. You should totally make it a thing. Great pics Courtney and you must tell me where you found her little yellow sandals. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chef Mickey's! I'm glad that Aria liked the characters- I know that can be an iffy thing with young kids. Lots of great pictures you took, especially the parade ones. You and Aria totally do have the same smile too - very cute! Dancing around nap times can be a tricky thing when you're out and about- at least she slept some though and in the car. Love your diaper bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that Aria wasn't scared of the characters- it must be strange when you're that little and a giant stuffed animal comes up to you! Looks like there is so much to do and everyone had an awesome time :) It's hard (and funny) to imagine parades making you hostile :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes there is a kids area inside the Dumbo tent. I didn't have time to let the kids play because our line moved bay fast but I suppose it's a good idea. What a jammed packed day! So lucky about Be Our Guest! All of it actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous way to spend Mother's Day! And please tell me... is there a part of Disney you haven't been to yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent Mothers Day in Hawaii when I was 8 weeks pregnant with Mia. I thought that was heeeeeeaven (until I think back on it and get a yucky feeling because I felt kind of awful) but this. THIS is heaven! Mothers Day at Disney with your little angel?? So much fun! And almost every time I check your blog I leave with major Disney cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mother's Day meal with Mickey and Co.? Perfection!
    You packed SO MUCH into your trip. I can only imagine how exhausted you all were by the end! Two-days and we're wiped for about a week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to celebrate mother's day. Great pictures! I want to go to Disney so bad now;).

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your Disney posts make me so jealous! What a perfect way to spend Mother's Day. I am so glad to see that Aria loved the characters. We are heading to Disney in July, and I keep debating whether or not we should book a character dining. I think your post has talked me into it!

    www.windycitybaby.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun! We just booked our tickets to go to Disney in August. It's gonna be too hot but we're gonna do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This makes me excited! We're moving to FL as soon as our house sells, I can't wait to finally make it to Disney World :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously. This is a little drop of Mother's Day perfection!!!!!! Love all the pictures of Aria with the character's. Totally a side question, but Aria sounds like a Disney Princess name. For real. Maybe because it is kind of a cross of Ariel and Auroa. I love it. So original too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO. MUCH. FUN! What a great Mother's Day! I vote that you go back every year because really, how can you top that?! Those desserts look divine. The carousel is one of our favorites too. And so was the people mover before it got taken out (years ago...why???). I'm so impressed that Aria is so friendly with the characters. Mason LOVES Mickey on TV but Mickey in real life is a whole other ball game!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy that you enjoyed such a memorable Mother's Day!! I adore your priceless pics and absolutely loved "tagging along" via your fun video! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love how Aria touched all of their faces! Too sweet. And the Goofy kisses….oh my heart! And I love how serious you two are in the Buzz Light year!! Looks like such a fun trip and I can’t wait to go with Mason.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.