Thursday, April 17, 2014

Disney Trip #1 - Aria's First Epcot Visit

I've made a little video of our Disney trip from last Saturday. I'm not 100% committed yet but I think that I will be documenting our Disney trips this way. Hopefully I will get better with the actual video taking part. I enjoyed filming little snippets throughout our time at the park. And, it was the first day of our annual pass so there is a whole year of Disney to look forward to and capture on film now. The video has a mix of still pictures and video, and it is just under 11 minutes long. So, if you are a Disney fan or just an Aria fan (who isn't?!) then please enjoy the video below. (Disclaimer: In the off chance you are planning on going to Epcot and doing the Easter egg hunt and you don't want all the fun ruined with spoilers don't watch until after your trip! k? k!)
This was our first trip with a baby. And, I'd estimate it was about 400 times harder than without one. We've always taken our trips with a go with the flow mindset. If a line was too long - skip it, or if it was too hot - let's just grab an ice cream and go home. There was nothing that we felt we absolutely had to do because we could always just come back another day. We didn't bring a whole lot with us and we did whatever we wanted at whatever pace we felt like. But, with a kid it is a whole new world. You have to literally pack your whole damn house and be very aware of their personality, attention span, schedule, and whims. I just made it sound like we had a terrible time, right? Really we didn't. Aria was awesome and I cried more than once just from watching her experience things in awe. Our main snafu was nap time. We thought that if she was in the stroller and moving that she would just fall asleep around her usual nap time, which is noon. But, that didn't happen at all. She finally passed out from exhaustion at 3:30 or so.

We felt like we were in limbo for those 3 hours. Do we try some rides? Should we let her run around or keep her in the stroller? Will she have enough patience for a line? I think she would have been good with rides and lines for a while after noon, and next time we will just let her run around until she needs a break. Hopefully now we have a better grasp of her napping needs and our next trips will be more go with the flow. And, perhaps only 300 times harder rather than 400 times. I have high hopes that by the time our annual pass runs out in a year we will be able to take Aria to Disney in our sleep (and have all the stroller parking spots memorized).

post signature

15 comments:

  1. I love the video! I am so looking forward to taking my daughter to Disney for the first time. I bet you were so excited to see everything through Aria's eyes! :) Oh, and your nap dilemma sounds very familiar! I never know how to handle naps on the go, so I am slightly scared of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) Yes, I love Disney so I was so excited to bring Aria there. I hope she loves going as much as I do, and that will make it even more fun! Yeah the nap thing threw us for a loop, but I hope we can read it better with time. Practice makes perfect!

      Delete
  2. I totally hear you on bring the whole house when you have a kid in tow! I feel like I'm forgetting something if I have less than 3 bags. Glad you had a fun trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of you and Aria in the aquarium!!! OMG!! Seriously, the first thing I thought of was Ariel when she is perched on the rock longing to have feet!
    Nap time is always our biggest issue. I HATE being off schedule, I feel like everything just gets ruined. I also miss being able to fly by the seat of our pants. Things change so much with little ones. I guess go with the flow and then jump back on the schedule train the next day. Ha! How long is the car ride for y'all to the park or did y'all go and stay for the weekend?
    So glad it all worked out and you have notes to apply towards the next visit! Each time will be thatch better! I love that you got emotional over see her joy :) such a mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completley understand that a Disney trip with a child involves packing the whole house....try two or four because when we usually go to Disney we go with my sister in-law and my neice and nephew. So we have to take four children's schedules into consideration, 3 of which are toddlers...hahah yes we are brave!! patience, patience, patience! But there's never a dull moment and we get lots of laughs in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how much stuff you need to bring and the whole nap time thing! Figuring out the nap always stresses me out because Callie is not a flexible napper! Sounds like a blast and I love how excited she is about the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loooove the idea of videoing the experience! I didn't really do that when we went to Disneyland last year and I'm kind of bummed now! When we went last year, Mia was 6 months old and it was the easiest vacation!! I feel like it would be SO much harder taking her now! We definitely want to go when she's a little older, maybe around 3? We want to plan the trip when we have our next baby, and go when that baby is 6 months or younger (because they just sleep anywhere, so easy!) and have my parents come so that they can sit with baby while Eric and I take Mia on rides, or just leave the kids with my parents while Eric and I go on rides ;)
    These pictures are so stinking cute! I'm so jealous of your close proximity to the park!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously? The SWEETEST thing!! I cannot wait to take Savanna this year when she's 16 months, I totally agree about having to pack the whole house. Imagine how hard is to drag all that shit on a plane! I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat though! Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! And now I really want to go. Question - with your season passes can you visit any of the Disney parks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 400 times harder - TOTALLY agree! We just went with the flow, and like you, eventually there was enough exhaustion to just pass out. However, it was A TON OF FUN! So much so, we're seriously contemplating getting an annual pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! Which rides did Aria like? I took Ezzy to Disneyland when he was six months old, and I remember researching all kinds of blogs on what to bring with us. Eventually I just brought EVERYTHING and stuffed it all in a locker. Ezzy wound up hating the rides though, so basically it was just a place to hang out with the grandparents and people watch. I'm hoping that he warms up to the rides next time we go, especially since the grandparents bought annual passports...

    The Joni Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I went back through your archives and read about your Disney trip. And that Ez wasn't into the rides. Aria loved all of them that we could take her on. Which at Epcot isn't a whole lot but she enjoyed nemo and all the small world type boat ride and and spaceship earth. I think she'll get a kick out of all the kids rides at magic kingdom. Nothing phases this kid though. I hope Ez is old enough to enjoy them next time you go.

      Delete
  11. I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed this post!! I LOVED the video!! Thanks for taking us along for the fun, those special "firsts", and the Disney egg hunt too! I just love the sights and sounds of Epcot so much!! Thanks for sharing!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you re-capped this and that she did so well! LOVE the video! Soon she will be asking to go back because she had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.