Thursday, March 6, 2014

How To Create An Inspiration Board with PicMonkey

When I first started blogging I saw all these awesome inspiration boards everywhere, but I had no idea how to make my own. The only 'how tos' I could find used photoshop, a program I do not have. Then I stumbled upon the key while doing some DIY design elements for Sweet Turtle Soup. Previously I had been using the collage option, which is a lot trickier with sizing and placement. But, using a canvas and adding your own overlays is so much easier and allows you to create a much more aesthetically pleasing image. And, just recently PicMonkey added the 'design' icon to its homepage options making it a snap. Let me show you...

Go to PicMonkey.com
 Hover your cursor over the 'design' option, and then click 'custom'.
In the two boxes type in your preferred pixel size based on the dimensions of your blog, and then click on 'make it'.
Now you have a blank canvas. Click 'apply' to keep your canvas white, or fiddle with the colour if you'd prefer a different background colour.
Now to get whatever you are doing an inspiration board of onto your canvas click the 'butterfly' tab, aka the overlays tab, and then click the 'your own' option at the top of the list.
Your computer's library will open up and you can select any images saved to your computer.
Add your inspiration board images.
All of them.
Now the rest is where you get creative. Set your view to 100% so that you see how your final product will actually look. Then adjust the size and position of your images.
You can add graphics via the 'butterfly' tab.
You can add text via the 'Tt' tab.
You can add arrows via the 'butterfly' tab.
You can add captions via the 'Tt' tab.
Play around with all the tabs and options to find the exact look you want.

After you have a lot of different pieces on your canvas it can get tricky to move one without accidentally moving another. So, if at any point in time you have your final set in stone configuration click on the downward arrow icon at the top to merge all your pieces into one image. I like to add all my main images, play around with them until they are prefect, and then click merge before adding graphs, arrows, and text. Of course, you don't have to. It is completely a preference thing.
You also have the option to right click your image and send it backwards or forwards to get the layering just right. And, in the pop up box that lets you edit a specific image note that there is an 'erase' tab. If you are trying to move two images together but their backgrounds keep getting in the way, you can use the erase option to erase part of the image.

When you have your inspiration board completed to your liking click on 'save' at the top. Name your project, select your quality, and click 'save to my computer'.

There you have it! Now you know how to make your own inspiration boards. But, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me. I'm no expert, but if I can help in any way I am happy to!

And, just in case you were wondering how to create the perfect Disney parks outfit...
[ sunnies / purse / shirt / shorts / flip flops / nail polish ]
facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love this!!! I'm going to go try this now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was useful! I erred on the side of too many details and screenshot-ed(?) everything. Hope to see what you come up with over on your blog.

      Delete
  2. i always forget out pic monkey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picmonkey. Super glad somebody recommended it at some point in time when I first started blogging.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I LOVE PicMonkey! Is there anything you can't do on there?! Your board is awesome! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a couple people ask me how I made mine, and since I had zero clues when I first started I thought I'd make a how to! PicMonkey is really great, you can do so much with it. I don't have photoshop so I can't compare, but I wish I could use more fonts. Other than that love it!

      Delete
  4. How much do I LOVE you today!? This tutorial rocks! I know you told me about this forever ago but I didn't get it so I never did it haha! Totally doing this ASAP for something. I don't know what but something! THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, woo hoo! Happy to hear it. Sorry I didn't make one sooner, and that it was confusing just with words. I probably would have been lost too if somebody told me how to use it. It is a lot of fun, I hope you make something for your blog!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is like the best tutorial ever!! I always forget about PicMonkey! Looks like it will work better than the "paint" option I've been using! Lol don't judge! Ha -Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel my head swelling already, haha =) PicMonkey is fantastic. I use paint sometimes so I have access to different fonts, but I hate that once you click elsewhere your images are stuck for-ev-er. I find picmonkey 1000 times easier, hopefully you can knock out any boards now!

      Delete
  6. Ahh! this is so great!! Thanks so much for sharing! And I especially love what you decided to make an inspiration board of:) hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I went to start this and was like what am I going to make an inspiration board for...DISNEY! Can't go wrong with Disney. Plus, now I can show my husband what I need to get for our disney trip =)
      And, you are welcome! I hope it helps if you ever want to make an inspiration board!

      Delete
  7. I always wondered how people made those boards. I love PicMonkey, and use it daily. It never occurred to me to use it for an inspiration board. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO HELPFUL! Thank you! I always wonder how they do things like that since I don't have Photoshop either. One question though... (I am obviously a novice lol), how do you know what pixel size you want?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you posted this! This is so helpful! Thanks :)

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought to use PicMonkey! I've always used Polyvore...but it's not that simple! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the tutorial! PicMonkey is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just tried this and it work perfectly!! Thanks for finding me an easier way to do collages!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I found this, I knew there had to be a way with Picmonkey but just couldn't wrap my head around it. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tutorial!!! This may be a really dumb question< but how do I get rid of the background of each item like yours are?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.