Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day - 3 Days of Shenanigans!

Oh man, we have been having too much fun the past few days and I'm going to tell you all about it.

Sweet Turtle Soup - Happy St. Patrick's Day - 3 Days of Shenanigans!

One of my favourite bloggers for ideas on holiday festiveness is Amanda at Dixie Delights. So, when I started to think about what kind of activities I wanted to do with Aria this St. Patrick's day I headed right to her archives. That is how I heard about The Naughty Leprechaun Story, and immediately wanted to start the tradition in our home.

Basically there are three nights where twin leprechaun brothers, Liam and Leyland, visit leading up to St. Patty's day. Liam leaves treasures, while Leyland causes mischief. There is a coin that kids leave out with the face of the twin they want to visit that night facing up. And, if they've tried their best that day/lately then they created their luck and the twin of their choice visits. But, if they could've done better than either twin can visit. On St. Patrick's day eve both twins visit. It reminds me of the elf on the shelf around Christmas, but in a smaller dose.

Since Aria is too little to understand I picked which of the leprechaun twins would visit each night. We read the story every day for about a week leading up to St. Patrick's day. I also let her play with the coin and she just so happened to drop the coin to face the correct leprechaun that I picked each night, so clearly there was some leprechaun luck going on.

Leyland visited us the first night and caused a little mischief. Here is a peak at what Aria woke up to on March 15th.
That naughty leprechaun left about a hundred balloons in our living room. He also set up a bubble machine, which quickly turned the floor into an ice rink. Aria's face was priceless when she walked down the hallway and spotted all the chaos. I actually have a video of it, but I haven't had a chance to edit and upload it yet. It is one of my favourite moments caught on film to date!
That Leyland also likes to leave sweet treats. He left Aria her first box of Lucky charms and turned her milk green.
She went right for the marshmallows and didn't quit until the last one was devoured. After that she had no interest in the cereal.
After a little sugar feast Aria snuck a balloon outside and enjoyed the cool morning temperatures. She held on tightly to that balloon and then brought it back in the house after she was done.
Then we decided to take the bubble machine outside where it was quickly dumped on the porch resulting in a pool of soap and Aria's hose water fun I mentioned in my Sweet Sunday post. That Leyland sure knows how to show a girl a fun time!

Liam visited us the second night and led us on a treasure hunt. Aria found the first clue on her nursery door.
It read 'The next clue is near a door. About this clue, I'll say no more.'
It read, 'The next clue is out of sight. It's near a place that lets in light.'
It read, 'The next clue has traveled very far. Look around the world and there you are.' (It was on the atlas, but I didn't get a good picture of Aria taking it down)
It read, 'The next clue is under a table. Try to find it if you are able.'
It read, 'The next clue may be here, it may be there. How about looking under a chair?'
It read, 'Read this last clue carefully - and then the treasure you will see. This may be a funny plan, but the treasure is in the garbage can.'
And, Aria found the gold coins!
Mmm, a sweet treat for all that hard work.

I wasn't sure how fun this would be for Aria, but she absolutely loves peeling tape off of things so it turned out to be a really perfect activity. Each clue had a gold coin taped on it and she really enjoyed carrying those around. I take no credit for the clues though - I found this treasure hunt idea plus printable at snap!. There are also blank shamrocks so you can make your own clues, but I wasn't feeling overly creative or in the mood to suck at rhyming so I went with the easy option.

Liam also left a little note with instructions for an after nap rainbow photo scavenger hunt.
This was even more enjoyable than I anticipated. We tackled grocery shopping, duck feeding, playground playing, and a pit stop at the manatee park downtown in a little over two hours. We did a little bit of picture taking and a lotta bit of fun in several places. I think Aria's favourite was the sliding. Dada helped her at the top, where she would start to kind of hyperventilate with excitement, and mama would catch her at the bottom, where she had a look of pure terror on her face followed by pure joy. I think we all got a kick out of that cuteness. Again, I take no credit for this idea - I first saw it over at Simple as That, another blog that has killer ideas for easy holiday/seasonal activities.

We weren't sure if Liam could top the fun we had with Leyland's mischief the first day, but he definitely gave us just as great of a day.

Liam and Leyland both visited us the third night.

Leyland, ever the little prankster, toilet papered the front room and turned the toilets green. What a fun mess!
But, he also left a plate of brownies with green frosting as a treat, which I promptly sent to work with Chris. I had a nibble of one myself, and that leprechaun sure can whip up some good frosting.
Liam kicked off our St. Patrick's day with a green breakfast feast. Green fruits, shamrock pancakes, green yogurt, Lucky Charms, and a little pot of rainbow mini mnms. It sure was thoughtful of him.
After we enjoyed our last morning of leprechaun shenanigans, Aria's grandmother stopped by for a holiday visit. While they played with the left over balloons and stickers I made cottage pie for lunch, which I didn't snap a picture of because as soon as it came out of the oven we all pounced on it.
After a nice afternoon nap (for both Aria and mama),we broke out the green paint and made ourselves a little festive art. Aria really wasn't so interested in painting the whole canvas green so it was a combined effort. She plopped paint around and I came in and smoothed it out. I might go back and outline the shamrock in green too because it is a little wiggly. But, it was a messy and enjoyable 4 minute project!
We also did mama and mini green pedicures, nothing cuter than tiny toes painted for the holidays.
And, we whipped up some simple St. Patrick's day cards to send out to all our friends! I found the printable here, and Aria helped me make the shamrocks.

Phew! We have had quite the holiday weekend, and there wasn't even a green beer in sight. This was the first holiday that Aria really reacted to and participated in activities a good bit. That made it all the more fun for me. I am definitely looking forward to an Easter egg hunt next month since we enjoyed our treasure hunt so thoroughly. These holidays just keep getting better and better!

I hope you all had as much fun as we had this St. Patrick's Day, and a big thank you to those crazy twins for visiting us each night!
post signature

22 comments:

  1. Are you serious?! This is amazing! I can't believe you did all the things in day 1, yet alone three days of celebrations! What an awesome and creative mama you are!! Such a lucky little lady! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! It looks a little overwhelming in one post, but it was pretty easy to pull off. I planned each day well in advance so I had everything ready to go a little bit at a time. I love doing stuff like this, and seeing Aria enjoy it just made all the extra work totally worth it! I'm also really excited I don't have to get up early tomorrow to 'help out' any leprechauns!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It would never have happened if I hadn't planned everything out well in advance. I had the treasure hunt ready to go weeks ago, and my husband blew up all the balloons for me. I tend to go over the top though, but I'm telling you seeing her face go from super confused to delighted when she walked out of her room the first morning was the best. I am, however, rather glad I don't have to get up early in the morning tomorrow to 'help' the leprechauns =)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You outdid yourself girlfriend!! Looks like Aria thoroughly enjoyed herself too!! Such creative ideas! Love the rainbow photo scavenger hunt!! Happy St Pat's! -Xo

    Plumtickledpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! The whole time I kept thinking how people pull of the elf on the shelf though, and I see that all over the place. This was just a little ol' three nights of extra work. Totally do-able. I don't think I have the stamina for all of December. Pre-planning is the key though, I had all the logistics worked out in advance so I could do stuff in advance and knew exactly what I needed last minute. But, I am looking forward to not having to get up extra early tomorrow =)

      The rainbow scavenger hunt was so much fun! I'd recommend it any day. Simple as That, where I saw the idea, has seasonal photo lists too that I am thinking about trying!

      Happy St. Patrick's Evening!!

      Delete
  4. that is so great.. you really went all out, Aria must have had a blast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I tend to get a little crazy for holidays. Now that I know Aria actually is interacting with the activities my husband will probably have to reign my enthusiasm in for Easter. I do really try to keep things pretty simple though, something I can work on ahead of time. I'm looking forward to not getting up with the leprechauns tomorrow morning =)

      Delete
  5. Holy smokes - I LOVE your St. Patrick's celebrations, and I'm sure Aria was in heaven with it all, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her little face the first morning was priceless. It totally made me think about what she will look like on Christmas morning when she is a little older. It's funny how much she did not care about the toilet paper though. I, however, had way too much fun toilet papering the living room. I had to stop myself at just the one roll because I didn't want to waist it, which is a good thing since Aria was like meh whatevs. Next year though I might get some super cheap-o toilet paper and go way too crazy. Just for my enjoyment =)

      Happy St. Patrick's Evening!!

      Delete
    2. waist, ha. Let's just pretend that was waste instead and maybe recommend getting to bed!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! So cute! What great ideas! I may "borrow" a few for next year or try some around Easter esp the scavenger hunt!!! I can't believe you did all of this. Looks like fun. Hope to see the video posted soon.
    Happy St Patty's Day :)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make my day if I inspired you to get a little extra festive for a holiday =) The treasure hunt was fun fun fun, and I bet there are plenty of pre-made printables with clues all ready to go. I had this planned for weeks now and it really went off smoothly. I plan on pondering Easter fun now so I can get anything ahead of time done!

      Delete
  7. So much green in sight, so much fun!! You guys had an amazing weekend! I'm kinda jealous right now ahaha. We didn't really do anything for St. Patrick's Day except Maylee and I are wearing green and she's also wearing a green headband. I guess that's something, right? hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha don't be! I didn't start doing anything at all remotely festive until Aria was 9 months - beyond dressing her in the correct colour that is. And, she really didn't start to care until now. So you have plenty of time to to be festive and nutty later! Last year for St. Patty's she wore green and I think we did a quick trip to the beach. Just keep things simple and plan ahead. When in doubt get a balloon =)

      Happy St. Patty's Evening!!!

      Delete
  8. Wow!!!! That is amazing!!! I have to step it up next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We went crazy here.

      I don't know, I saw some painting and a beach trip - that sounds like a great St. Patrick's day to me!

      Delete
  9. You amaze me every holiday! This is all so awesome!! Looks like she had a lot of fun and it looking very grown up in these pictures lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it makes me more motivated seeing Aria enjoy herself so much! It is funny how big she is and at the same time so tiny. I thought I might be able to give her a bambam tail the other day but alas not enough hair. I think it will be so fun to see her with her hair up, and probably make her look like a teenager...oy.

      Delete
  10. Wow! You really did celebrate all weekend! So much fun packed into three little days! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, no exaggeration needed haha! I like to go a little crazy sometimes. I'm pretty sure I've never done anything much at all for St. Patrick's day pre-Aria.

      Thanks for popping over!

      Delete
  11. Consider these ideas STOLEN!!! Amazing--you never fail to impress me, lady! And we appreciated you thinking of us during card making!! I can't wait to get rolling on Easter stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.