Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Little Game of Kill, Refurb, Marry - Disney Style


While meandering around the internet trying to find something to quench my Disney thirst, I stumbled upon This Happy Place blog and her Kill, Refurb, Marry blog hop with Mouse on the Mind. It is a play on the game f***, marry, kill. A Disney-fied version. Sold! Sign me up! I read through a whole bunch of posts and decided to join up next time. But, instead of just doing the latest category I wanted to do them all. I'm an over-achiever like that, plus it just sounded entertaining.

Kill Refurb Marry

#1. Walt Disney World Attractions - one pick from MK, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios
Captain EO from Epcot. It first opened in 1986, but was reopened back in 2010 after Michael Jackson passed. I personally feel like it is time for a re-closing. It was a nice little tribute and memorial, but it is time to move on.

#2. Monorail Resorts
I'd have to go with the Contemporary by default. I'm not sure I've even stepped inside, I've ridden through it via the monorail but pretty sure I've never been in for a visit. I do have plans for Chef Mickey's with Aria this spring though. It just feels old, worn out, tired. I think it could use a nice rehab, but I'd rather keep the Polynesian around so it has to be offed. But, not until after we have breakfast with Mickey. =)

#3. Animal Kingdom Park
Camp Minnie Mickey. Festival of the Lion King is awesome-sauce, but that is all there is. Or, was because I guess it is relocating to make room for Avatar. So, I guess Disney was listening.

#4. World Showcase Pavilions
This one is the worst, but I'm going to kill Japan. The shopping is boring to me, and the dining hasn't impressed me. I do love the drummers and little performances and the gardens and ponds. See I told you it was a hard one...

#5. WDW Resorts
All of the All-Star resorts. They aren't great, especially compared to Pop and Art of Animation. I think Disney would do better to just do something completely new with the space. They are definitely dated, and ugly, and nobody wants to stay there. You might as well just stay off property at that point.

#6. Crescent Lake Restaurants
Sadly I haven't eaten at enough CL restaurants to have an opinion.

#7. Thrill Rides
Mission: Space. This ride sucks. It hurts. It always gives me a headache. It has killed people. I go on it because I think it isn't as bad as I remember, and then it turns out even worse.  Thankfully I've learned to not even bother. Time to go, see ya, bye bye.

#8. Aerial Spinner Rides
Triceratop Spin. Why, just because.

#9. Live Performances
Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show. Yawn. Maybe good for a one time stop, but it was still pretty meh in my book.

#10. World Showcase Counter Service
Tangierine Cafe. Actually I've never eaten here, but I've tried several times. I always think that we should try some food at Morocco, but then I can't convince my husband to try anything on the menu. It is just too foreign for us mentally I guess. I have no idea what anything is, and it all sounds strange so we just always skip it and eat in Germany for the 300th time.

#1. Walt Disney World Attractions - one pick from MK, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios
The Carousel of Progress from the Magic Kingdom (1975). It is just not a trip to the Magic Kingdom without a spin around the Carousel of Progress. But, it could use some updating and TLC. In particular, the last scene could use an update. Maybe some new upholstery here and there.

#2. Monorail Resorts
The Polynesian. This is the only one of the monorail resorts I have actually stayed at. And, as it turns out it is being refurbished soon, or now maybe. The lobby is getting a facelift and I think they are adding a DVC building. Don't quote me on that. I like the lobby myself, but the last time I was there I did notice a nice thick layer of dust on the foliage. At the very least it needs a nice scrub. This resort has a lot to offer in my opinion - Ohana is a fave, Kona Cafe is a fave, watching the fireworks at MK on the beach is a fave, and all the water features and plants are lovely. But, I know Disney can make it even better so I am excited to see the new look!

#3. Animal Kingdom Park
Dinosaur. I don't dislike the ride, but I think it could use a facelift. It is fun, but it could be more fun. Also, I think Disney could do a lot more with Rafiki's Planet Watch - the petting zoo is fun and my husband is obsessed with it, but there should be more things to see, do, and learn to warrant a train ride there.

#4. World Showcase Pavilions
America. Who thought it was a good idea to make the American pavilion the biggest yawn? Terribly boring counter service food and a show. I personally like the movie, and the Voices of Liberty, but there is so much more that could be done. I'd bet a good bit of people skip the pavilion altogether unless they have to use the bathroom. 'Merica. Let's do it!

#5. WDW Resorts
Wilderness Lodge. I'm not at all a fan of the theme. I think Disney should give it a rustic chic makeover and leave the rustic cowboy behind. I love log cabins and cozy fireplaces, but when it goes towards the hillbilly count me out. I know people just love this resort, I just don't understand it myself.

#6. Crescent Lake Restaurants
The only place I have eaten is Beaches and Cream, and it is sinfully delicious. But, it is itty bitty. For the popularity of this place it needs to be bigger. More seats for more ice cream please!

#7. Thrill Rides
Space Mountain. It is a classic, and I want to love it. I like it for sure, but I hate the actual seats. The ride is always less pleasant than I remember, it is really rather bumpy and jumpy and lumpy. It is still pretty fun, I don't mind it...but do you really want a ride you don't mind going on, or one that rocks your dang socks off? That's what I thought. For a thrill ride it isn't that thrilling. Out of everything that could use a refurbish I think this is number one on my list.

#8. Aerial Spinner Rides
Magic Carpets of Aladdin. It makes no sense to me especially located in the middle of a path. Move it.

#9. Live Performances
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. It is awesome, it really is, but I've seen it so many times that it has lost some of the fun. Change it up, make it exciting again. It has been around for forever, let's spruce it up and add some life back in.

#10. World Showcase Counter Service
Liberty Inn. Could the American pavilion be any more lackluster? Block and Hans is a fun addition with different craft beer and pretzels. And, I don't think you can go wrong with funnel cakes. But, the rest of the food is super duper boring. There are so many ways that Disney could make America better. How many times do you just walk right through it? I think it would be fun to have different stations with regional cuisine from around the country.

#1. Walt Disney World Attractions - one pick from MK, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios
The Tower of Terror from Hollywood Studios (1994). This is my favourite attraction at Hollywood Studios, and somewhere around third encompassing all of the parks. I love it, it is perfect. I love the line, I love the details, I love the cobwebs, I love the library, I love the ride.

#2. Monorail Resorts
Hands down The Grand Floridian. Ever since I was a little girl this has been my favourite resort, and I've never even stayed there. I mean, it is just a wee bit on the extremely pricy side, but I've got hope for a future stay. Fingers crossed. It is such a beautiful resort, especially around Christmas - that is where we took our family Christmas pictures. I love the Victorian elegance and the time bygone feel.

#3. Animal Kingdom Park
Kilimanjaro Safari. Love this ride, especially when you get a really great driver. It is a very well designed ride. I'd love to do the Trek one of these days too.

#4. World Showcase Pavilions
Mexico. My absolute favourite. There is a boat ride, shopping, a mariachi band, fun restaurants, a bar, and an awesome pyramid. It has everything each pavilion should have. It has the whole package.

*BONUS* Introduce: #4 World Showcase Pavilions - I think adding a Russian pavilion would be pretty unique. Maybe after they stop sending troops places they shouldn't.

#5. WDW Resorts
The Boardwalk Inn. Chris and I took our honeymoon at this resort, so it has a special place in our hearts. It is such a happy resort to me, and I love the shops and eats right out the door. Plus, you can walk to Epcot or take a little boat ride to Hollywood Studios. I can't think of anything I would change! We are excited to stay again in May.

#6. Crescent Lake Restaurants
Sadly I haven't eaten at enough CL restaurants to have an opinion.

#7. Thrill Rides
Splash Mountain. Okay so it could use a little tlc, but I don't even care I love it! The line can be the pits, but the ride is ah-mazing. You sit in a log, you get splashed, you get two annoyingly peppy songs stuck in your head, you get to scream on the way down. Perfection. This is my second favourite ride encompassing all of the parks.

#8. Aerial Spinner Rides
Dumbo the Flying Elephant. The only aerial spinner ride there needs to be. It is a classic. It isn't like floating around in a circle is all that fun, but you love it because it is Dumbo. I remember going on Dumbo when I was a little kid, almost the only thing I remember about my trips to Disney at a young age. That and having to hide during the canon part of Pirates of the Caribbean because it scared the shit out of me.

#9. Live Performances
Festival of the Lion King. I friggin love this stage show. It is so damn entertaining. It is beautifully done and so so so fun. And, I'm cheating and adding the Dapper Dans because they are amazing too. I love the costumes and the songs and the audience interaction. Entertainment perfection.

#10. World Showcase Counter Service
L'Artisan des Glaces. Okay, so I have yet to eat here. But, it is at the top of my to-eat list! From everything I've read it sounds ah-mazing. I love it already.

Until next time, see ya real soon!
 photo signature2_zps3f86c68a.png

9 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, you know your WDW!! If we ever make a trip I know exactly who I'm going to in regards to planning our stay!
    And, Tower of Terror - I could ride that all day every day. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, I'll be your personal tourist guide! Although we haven't been in a couple years and there are a lot of new things now, I haven't been to the expanded fantasy land yet. Every time I think about what we will be doing when we go this year I keep forgetting that I have a baby who cannot ride splash mountain, I'm always like oh right I forgot. That's okay Peter Pan's flight is pretty awesome too!

      Delete
  2. I have the same love for BW as you do! Favorite resort <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney just knows how to theme, and knows it is all about the details. I love it!

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. WOW you so know disney! I'm super impressed at the detail! I however now feel old or out of touch (maybe both) because I've never heard of this game! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Disney, but I'm new to the Disney-blog side of blogland and I feel like I know nothing now. It is my mission to do more new things this year, and eat some gosh darn ice cream in France/epcot. Yum.
      I'd barely heard of it before seeing it on the blog where I linked up. But, I think I heard it as f, marry, date...who knows. Kids these days... =)

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, oh my gosh...I love this. I'm currently trying to convince my husband to take me to Disneyland Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now wouldn't THAT be awesome! It would be so familiar and at the same time foreign, I think it would be a fun experience. Plus, when you live so close might as well, right?!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh Spyros has never been to DISNEY anything...crazy. Not right!! Xx.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.