Monday, January 6, 2014

Mommy & Me Monday - All the Cool Kids Call Them Helios

Hello, guys. I'm back from my blog-cation! So many things to catch up on now with the Christmas-ing and the visiting in Pennsylvania. But, I thought I'd start off with one of our favourite parts of our trip to the north - helicopters, aka helios.

On the way back to Florida we made a detour to spend a few hours with one of my oldest friends and mega-Aria-spoiler, Laura and her fiance Jeff. Who are awesomely getting married at Disney this May, which is also when we have decided to take Aria to a Disney park for the first time. (I know, I'm rather excited about it myself) Laura has one of those jobs that she can't tell you about in DC, so pretty badass, and Jeff flies helicopters in the Navy, equally badass. So, when we get there and they are like 'hey wanna go see some helios', we were all like um heck yeah!

Actually first we ate paninis, Aria got nibbled on by a bunny, the fireplace was climbed on repeatedly, and Laura gave Aria another present even though she already mailed some to Florida (see what I mean about mega-spoiler). The present was ice cream duplos, which Chris had way too much fun playing with while Aria had a blast playing with some wires.
Hungry bunnies aside we had a great time catching up and keeping Aria from head diving off the fireplace or noosing herself with cords. Babies are so much more work when the area isn't baby proofed, Chris and I had our work cut out for us on this whole trip - I am extra thankful for all the plug stoppers, locks, and gates at home now.

Then we went to see helios and Chris's life was made. On the way to the hanger we drove past all the big ol' Naval ships and cute little red tug boats too. Jeff told us about this one guy that fell off a ship while working on something but tossed his tool back on deck on his way into the water, because clearly that was the important thing to do - no worries he was just fine too.
Chris loved seeing the helios, he talked about it for days afterwards. Actually, still is. He would have loved doing something similar if his asthma hadn't prevented him from going into the military. He and Jeff had a long conversation about the helios and how they differ from flying planes, since Chris can fly those.
Laura and I hung out with miss Aria and tried to keep her from licking her hands after crawling around in jet fuel and whatever else happened to be on the ground. She went nuts crawling around in the helicopter, and was pissed when I wouldn't let her get into everything.
I think dada and Aria are equally as excited about strolling around all the big helios.
'Oh, look mama black goo all over the place...and me - best day ever!'
And, a mommy and me picture in a helio - we're cool like that.

After sanitizing Aria and having second helpings of panini we were back on the road. It was a few hours later that we decided we were way too old for pulling all nighters driving anymore, especially after taking care of a baby all day. Our backs were shot and our eyes were heavy, so we stopped for the night between North and South Carolina just after we rang in the New Year by driving past a couple fireworks on I-95.

*all pictures taken by Laura on her iphone, except the one of Laura, which I took

Linking up with Dear Owen and Everyday Love!
facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

11 comments:

  1. i love it! babes and boys fully share the same love of all things flying! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she went nuts in the hanger! She loves looking up when a plane goes overhead too.

      Delete
  2. Love those photos of Aria in the helios! So stinkin cute!! Looks like it was worth the pit stop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it added an extra 2-3 hours onto the trip but definitely worth driving extra in Virginia - one of the worst states to go through because of overzealous cops. Helios and old friends - can't beat that!

      Delete
  3. Too cute! I've never been on a helicopter, but hope I do someday. Glad you guys had a fun time :) How old is your daughter now (if you don't mind me asking)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been in the air in one, sounds fun though! I'm sure Chris would have jumped at the chance for a ride, ha =) Aria is 13 months now!

      Delete
  4. Looks so fun !! Glad you had a good break but also glad your back :)
    It's super cold in up here in Ohio!
    Tonight the air temp without the wind chill is -7 , with the wind it feels like -20 or so!!! It's so cold the cars are having issues and in downtown Columbus we had a water main break from the freezing temps. Yep we are really in the Artic !!' Hehehe
    20 doesn't sound so bad but that's crazy cold for Florida
    Keep warm ;)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry 30 not 20!! Both are super cold esp for FL

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks so sweet of you to say! =)
      I know, I keep hearing all these negative temps on the news...it is nuts up north right now! I lived in Colorado for four years, but it was never that cold...they have a decently nice winter there - cold but not too cold and lots of snow but tends to melt right away. In Boulder anyway. A buddy on fb posted a pic of a water pipe that broke in Baltimore and the whole block is covered in a sheet of ice. Too cold!
      I'm not sure how cold it ended up getting last night, but it was pleasant during the day.

      Delete
  5. What a cool memory for your family--especially miss Aria! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too bad she won't remember it - so I think that means we have to do it again sometime =)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.