Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Day in the Life - Winter edition

I just stumbled onto this 'Day in the Life' quarterly link up, with Navigating the Mothership, and think it is a killer idea to record a typical day 4 times a year. I just looked back at the previous (here and here) typical day posts I did and everything is so different, plus Aria looks so baby-like and chunky in those pictures - total mom sniffles. It was a fun to see what we were up to back in May and July, and see how much has changed. And, now that Aria is so much bigger (not to mention walking) it is definitely a whole new day. I'm totally down to remember what we are doing these days.

Our day - January 22nd, 2014.

7:40 am | My alarm goes off, but I've already been awake for a few minutes. I drag myself out of bed to check on my cloth diapers and put them on whatever cycle they are in need of. I feed the dogs and the cat. Then I crawl back into bed and turn on my laptop to check my email. This leads me to peruse a blog, What You Make It, after they left me a comment.

8:07 am | I realize I've lost track of the time and go get Aria, who is quietly chewing on her blanket. We nurse and get a diaper. Her little legs dangle off the end of the boppy when she nurses now, she is so big.
8:33 am | Aria dives right in to making messes and being cute while I let the dogs outside, brush my teeth, attempt to tame my hair, and get dressed.
8:46 am | I start to get breakfast together. Today we are having pancakes and a strawberry smoothie.

9:09 am | I just had a 10 minute fight with the blender to blend a particularly stubborn chunk of frozen strawberries.

9:25 am | Breakfast is served.
9:28 am | The lawn mower person comes and Baxter has fun huffing and puffing at him through the french doors, which also entertains Aria.

9:33 am | I continue the saga that is laundry. This time emptying the dryer so I can toss the cloth diapers in for their turn. Always multitasking.

9:44 am | Everybody has stuffed their respective faces, and one of us is frantically signing all done.
10:02 am | Both Aria and the kitchen are clean again.

10:11 am | Aria is dressed for the day. I clean up all the messes she made while making breakfast, so she can make more. Plus, I toss in another load of clothes to wash. So much laundry. Aria is very helpful, making sure that the dirty clothes are really dirty before washing.
 
10:22 am | I started to fold the dry laundry, but Aria ever so sweetly demands a car ride.
10:42 am | Traded the pink car for the pink bike, and then rolled around on the floor in blankets. I prepped for Chris' lunch, performed various other household-y activities like filling the Brita jug, and finished folding the laundry, never as easy as it sounds.
11:06 am | Time for a nap. She goes down so easily for a nap now. After she gets a disposable,  I hold her while darkening her nursery and offering her some water. She gets a kiss, I tell her it is nap time, and sit her in her crib and hand her her blanket. I turn on her sound sheep, give her another kiss, and tell her to have a nice sleep as I leave. That is it. She flip flops to a comfortable spot and goes to sleep without a peep.
11:07 am | I put the newly folded laundry away and then start making Chris' lunch. Today he is having shrimp and broccoli. I tidy up any messes Aria made too.
11:32 am | Chris comes home to have his lunch and we chat about our various mornings. Aria was a little extra whiny today, and Chris went into work at 4 but apparently is getting shit done.

11:45 am | Chris heads off to work again. I pour my daily iced coffee to savour during nap time.
11:47 am | I call up Disney to book our room reservations for a friend's wedding in May. It will be magical. We are doing a combo trip to Disney not only for the wedding but also for our anniversary and to make Aria's first trip to Disney extra special. 106 days to go, 105 when this posts.

12:10 pm | The cloth diapers are ready to come out of the dryer and the new load is tossed in to dry. And, now I've gotten everything that needs to happen in the morning out of the way so I can enjoy the rest of my iced coffee, put my feet up, and read. I'm re-reading City of Bones. While I liked the movie (apart from Jamie Campbell Bower who is not my idea of Jace), it is really super loose with the story, so it made me want to read the right story again.

1:47 pm | I hear Aria wake up from her nap. I go in to pick her up and she is doing her downward facing dog yoga move in the middle of the crib. I'm kicking myself that I forgot to bring the camera in so I could have captured the random cuteness. I ran and grabbed it but of course by then the moment had passed.
2:10 pm | Lunch is served. We are working on whittling down leftovers today. A chunk of pancake, a pear, a piece of ham, veggies, a hunk of cheese, and the rest of this morning's smoothie. I went with pizza and cheesy oven fries.
2:43 pm | All done. Aria is wiped clean and I set her loose while I clean up our lunch mess. Baxter volunteers his help.
2:56 pm | Aria is still satisfied with ripping apart last year's calendar so I check out what magicbands are. And, then proceed to customize ours, which is code for pick colours.
3:38 pm | Aria is done playing by herself so I get on the floor and we play with her toys together.
4:13 pm | Snack time. This is a newer addition to our routine. She dropped her afternoon nursing session and I added in a late afternoon snack. Today she has a couple crackers.

4:36 pm | I clean up all the crackers crumbs and then take her for a car ride in the backyard.
5:12 pm | We head back inside where it is warm, and take the playing to the nursery.
5:35 pm | Chris gets home.
5:50 pm | I send him right back out with Aria for milk, so I can start dinner, which is really more leftover gathering. But, I did mix up some Annie's mac and cheese.

7:00 pm | On the dot. Dinner is finished. I give Aria a cursory swipe before handing her to Chris for bath time. I do the dishes and do some pre-bed chores, such as turning on the monitor and collecting the cloth diapers for their nightly wash.
7:20 pm | Out of the tub and getting into pajamas. A little waltzing with daddy.
7:23 pm | All ready for a little nursing before lights out. I turn on her starry turtle nightlight and she signs all done when she is finished. I give her more kisses than she wants before putting her in her crib and handing her her blanket. She prefers to find the tag before cuddling with it on her belly.
7:24 pm | I feel particularly grimy today so I hop in the shower immediately.

7:48 pm | I start the cloth diapers, grab water and a glass of wine, and can now curl up in bed with my laptop for the night. Tonight I am putting together this very post, other nights I read blogs or read my book or watch a movie until it is time to call it a night.
 11:41 pm | Time to call it a night. I usually end up closing my eyes around 10:30 or 11:00, but these type of posts take forever to put together. If you made it to the end, you deserve a cookie.

19 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I was exhausted just reading it. I forgot how busy tiny ones keep you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry I wore you out for the day already!!! Don't forget to get a cookie =) Yes, she keeps me on my toes. I'm glad she takes a good nap most days so I can get a little recharge in. Of course, there are 1000 other things I should be doing in that free time, but I'm burnt out if I don't have a little feet up time to myself. Keeps me going! Oh, and the iced coffee.
      You should do your 'day in the life' it would be interesting to see how it is with teens, very different I'd imagine. Plus, I just enjoy looking back at stuff like this even just a few months later.

      Delete
  2. I've seen a few posts like this, and I always tell myself I'm going to do it. Then a day slips by, then another. Then I'm not reminded to try said post until I read another blogger who has done it. Oops. :)
    Aria is*such* a cutie. And, seriously, folding clothes with a little may possibly be one of the hardest tasks to accomplish. If Aria is anything like Marcus, she wants to unfold everything you've successfully managed to pile up before her little hands can get to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I managed to take notes and pictures all day long. Although I got a little slacker-y near the end with pictures. The last two times it took most of the week to compile enough pictures to get a good feel of a typical day for us. They were a lot of fun for me to look back on, I'd def recommend giving it a try. I'm sure it will be something you enjoy looking back on too. Funny how many of the day to day things slip by as your child changes into a new routine. I had forgotten so much.
      Yes, and folding clothes is never ending. She loooves to drag them all out of the hamper, which I gave up on trying to fight. But, I have to watch her like a hawk so she doesn't grab and shake any of the folded clothes. I hate folding clothes, ick.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wild how full the day is with a baby?! Reading this I was smiling from all the adorable photos but also because I can relate...except to all that sleep time she gives you! I'd be in bed much earlier than you, though, haha! But now I see how you fit in time to comment and respond (you are so good about that--I aspire to be one day ;))...and I hope it's always this way for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I'm giving away all my secrets =) Aria really is a great sleeper, so I know I lucked out in that department. Does A wake up at night or is she a short napper?

      Delete
  4. obsessed with these day in the life posts!! i seriously LOVE reading how other people spend their days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Funny because I wrote it thinking...gee nobody is going to want to read this, but at the same time I love reading other peoples myself. It is very satisfyingly stalker-y to read how other people are spending their days with their kids.

      Delete
  5. Love it!!!! The pic about Chris comes home you can't even see him because of the dogs...so cute! You put in a lot of work in a 24 hour period. Aria is so CUTE!!!! She is so growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I love the idea of doing it a couple times a year because it does change so much! I'm working on one now.. but notes and exact times like 9:09? Never gonna happen -- you're a rock star! I'm already exhausted so maybe I should have read this at 5am instead of during my afternoon slump! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post..I didn't even know there was such a thing so It's ironic that my blog title for today's is the same! I think it would be fun to document a WHOLE day! I need to do that soon.

    How are you even up and motivated before 8am?! I guess I've always been spoiled. Savanna always takes her morning bottle and goes right back to sleep until at least 9:30!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a very sweet at-home day with your cute girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to 'relax' in jammies all day with my tiny tornado! But, just now starting to feel the annoyance of being a one car family. At least the weekends tend to be jam packed =)

      Delete
  9. Here from Laura's...I am so very impressed that you woke up to an alarm and not to Aria! When my girls were her age, they were up in the 5's. Even now they wake up at 6:15 most days. 7:40 sounds glorious. Your daughter is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh 5 or 6 is just not a fun start in my book. I am so not a morning person. I seriously count my blessings every day that Aria will sleep in until 8ish for me 98% of the time. Thanks for visiting!! I haven't had a second to meander through everybody's DiTL posts yet, but I looove reading them so I'll be doing that very soon!

      Delete
  10. I love these day in the life posts! It makes me jealous of people who get to stay home with their babies all day (in a good way!). My day in the life post would be so boring : wake up, breakfast, work, dinner, bed. HAHA. Obviously it would be a bit more detailed than that but maybe I could do a day in the life on a weekend day?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I'm able to stay home with Aria right now! Any routine gets boring though. We are a one car family and my husband has the car all day 6 days a week, so it would be nice to get out a couple times a week too. But, then I do get to stay in yoga pants and pjs....haha. Guess you can't have EVERYTHING/grass is always greener.

      A day in the life weekend post would be perfect =) You should one, def love looking back at mine and I love reading other peoples' to satisfy my inner stalker...ha.

      Delete
  11. Your baby girl is so so adorable! She seems like such an easy going little lady. This post reminds me of the days when I was at home with my first baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also jealous of your daughter sleeping in so late! My daughter liked to get up at 5:30 when she was that age.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.