Tuesday, December 31, 2013

On the Fifth Day of Christmas...We Look Forward to a New Year!

The fifth and final day of The 5 Days of Christmas link up party is today with myself, as well as Jenny from Growing up Jacobson, Jenesha from Books, Looks, & Babies, and Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me. I apologize for missing last week's link up, but I thought it would be a real hoot to get sick. Naturally it also is one of those sicknesses that lasts forever, so I am still under the weather. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to me...
But anyway, today we look forward to a new year. I don't really do 'resolutions', but I thought this year I'd like to have a few goals.

#1. Be more organized and pro-active.
There are not enough hours in the day when you have a baby. And, there are not enough hours during naptime and after baby's bedtime but before mommy's bedtime to get all the things done. Unless you start early and do a little bit at a time. That last bit I suck at, because it is not something I've had to do. Ever. But, leaving things until the last minute adds so much needless stress and takes away so many precious hours of sleep that it just isn't worth it. I think the first step in being more organized is to get a really cute planner!

#2. Set a realistic Good Reads reading challenge.
I'm way more bummed than I should be that I didn't meet my 2013 reading challenge. I set a goal of 50 and only made it to 45. 45 is pretty awesome. But, it is that whole not meeting the projected # bit that irks me. This new year I am going to go with 35. I think.

#3. Follow through on meal planning.
Dinner is the hardest meal for me to get on the table because Aria's neediest chunk of time is after lunch and before dinner. So, I just find it difficult to get anything done during those hours. But, if I had a plan in place for eating I could get some of the prep work done ahead of time or even put something in the slow cooker early when I do have the time. You think this wouldn't be rocket science, but I fail miserably at dinner day after day. Ugh. I like breakfast better anyway.

#4. Learn more about photography.
I've got my new(ish) camera, and there are all sorts of fancy manual settings I can play around with but I haven't figured them out yet. I'd like to. I love to take pictures. I'd love to take better pictures.

#5. Paint my nails more often.
This makes me happy, and I should do things that make me happy that are just for me.

2013 was a great year for our family. Aria was technically born in 2012, but just barely so 2013 was the year of Aria. It is unbelievable how much she has changed in a year, and there are so many amazing milestones still ahead. I can't wait to enjoy watching her grow and develop and learn right in front of me in 2014.

Sweet Turtle Soup
Now it is your turn! What are your goals for 2014? Do you set resolutions and actually follow through on them? What are you excited for in the new year? etcetc. We'd love to hear all about it! So, write a post, grab the button above, link up on any of our 4 blogs, and most importantly have a jolly good time! Don't forget you have until next week to add your link.
facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

15 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better!!! I hope you guys have a wonderful New Years Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been better ha =P We were in the car at midnight, we saw a few fireworks on the side of the road though... Road trips with a baby is 50 times more exhausting than I was anticipating. Oy. The whole trip was exhausting, plus I was sick the whole time and then hurt my back. Way to end the year with a flop! Must mean 2014 will be excellent!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're feeling better! I am 100% with you about dinner. It is still the hardest time of day for Callie and I'd call her a pretty easy toddler. dinner is just hard! and breakfast is way better! but I'm with you on meal planing it totally helps! we can do it!
    ps planners are over rated get a smart phone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Aria is just so fun and easy for the most part all day until about 330. From 330 until dinner she is uninterested in self play and has no interest in letting me prep any food, let alone cook it. I actually planned breakfast for dinner tonight and was ready to whip it all up as soon as dad stepped in the door from work! I don't have high hopes for tomorrow since I haven't even gone shopping yet and the kitchen is pretty empty post trip. One day at a time =)
      I think I'd still want a planner I could write in even with a smart phone. I'm big on pretty notebooks and highlighters...

      Delete
  3. So sorry you were sick for Christmas, BOO!! What a great list! I don't even know if I'm making resolutions this year....that's how unorganized I am at the moment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. I was downright miserable Christmas Eve and half miserable for days afterwards. Lame. Plus, it made the trip north for the holidays unfun. Way to fail me, body!!!
      You should make a resolution to make resolutions!! I'm too exhausted to work on my goals yet though...but they are there floating around in 'to do' list land.

      Delete
  4. I like #3. I always try to meal plan but then just change my mind! I need to stick with it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My meal plans are always .. too ambitious I guess. I end up making enough food to feed 3 more families, and then I don't have enough time to eat the leftovers before they turn. Pre baby I planned 3 meals a week and that seemed to work. I'm tired just thinking about it though. Maybe next week... ha =)

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about the Goodreads challenge. I've missed my goal by 1 or 2 books every year for the last 5 years or so. And this year my goal was only 15! It's so hard! I can't even believe you read 45 books! Holy cow! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having the goal to work towards for motivation but man I get bummed when I fall short even when it is a great # of books read. I obviously need to let go of the silly little things better =) I'm totally impressed with the 45 too, along with actively blogging AND having a baby. I feel like I wasted so much time before I had a kid...if only my prebaby self knew the luxury of all those free hours!

      Delete
  6. I definitely need to meal plan better in the new year, and in general, be more organized! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meal planning is definitely on my list! I find myself at the grocery store 2-3 times a WEEK and I HATE grocery shopping! But I don't plan out my meals so I'm constantly missing ingredients. My goal is to only go to the store once every week. I feel like I can't go longer because I like to have a ton of fresh fruits/veggies on hand. But for the love... I need to quit going every couple of days!
    Have you heard of shellac? I get my nails done once a month and I LOVE it! I hate doing them myself but I feel like splurging on shellac is totally justified because they rarely chip (I have to be really hard on them to chip) and they last so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know exactly what that is like. Starting around the holidays I had certain meals I wanted to make or desserts to bring places, but would never remember to get a list of ingredients together. I was running to the store every day it felt like. Pain in the... Better organization = save time! We can totally do this =)
      I have heard of shellac, but don't really know what it is - other than I found the word silly sounding. I've seen some diy shellac around, but I do like doing my nails. But, I hate when they chip the next day and I'm so hard on my nails. blah! I'll have to look into it! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year! Great goals, I definitely have meal planning on mine as well! I kind of love your paint your nails more often "goal" Something Just for you.. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I can actually succeed with doing my nails more often too. It is super simple, and it definitely improves my mood. Gotta love the easy things that do that! I, in fact, just did my nails yesterday. Check 1 for the goals! Now to get my act together on the rest... =)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.