Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Aria's Birthday - Winter One-derland: Part One

I'm excited to finally have a hot second along with working internet to post about Aria's birthday. And, since I took about 40 million pictures I decided to break it down into a couple posts.

The gist... Theme - cozy plaid Christmas, rustic winter one-derland. Colours - red, gold, and pink. Spirit animal - moose. Decor - pretty much the same things we put out for Christmas, with a focus on red and gold and plaid, plus the banner of pictures from year one. Events - eating, snow, presents, and time capsule. Music - Christmas, a fun mix from Sinatra to She & Him to Celtic Woman. Food - Christmas cookies, pink roses, and anything else that sounded good.

Let's start with the invite - I whipped it up with picmonkey and printed it with catprint. And, then I used the plaid edging for the rest of my party printables - food name cards, time capsule prompt cards (I'll share these in a different post), and thank you cards.
Moving on to food! Naturally I forgot to take a picture when all the dishes were on the table, but it is only missing two so close enough.
We went with appetizers and desserts so everybody could pick and choose what they wanted finger food style. For appetizers we had: crab dip, caprese, cucumber bites, spinach artichoke dip, and baked brie with apple compote. For dessert we had: cake batter blondies, chocolate peanut butter cup cookies, pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies, oreo cookie truffles, and white chocolate topped gingerbread cookies. Plus, funfetti rose cupcakes and Aria's funfetti rose ombre smash cake.
And, for drinking we set up a hot cocoa bar with candy canes, marshmallows, pirouette cookies, Pinnacle whipped vodka, and Baileys. I forgot to put out the whipped cream and peppermint creamer, because there always has to be something forgotten. The hot cocoa turned out tasty though. Also, the little stocking were filled with candy as favours - the gingerbread twix turned out to be disgusting, so I'd skip that one if you happen to be remotely tempted at the store.
No birthday post would be complete without a few pictures of the birthday girl enjoying her appetizers before the big event, the smash cake. She actually tried everything, and not only tried but ate a good bit too, which surprised me. She tends to reject all new things until they have made an appearance several times. She felt like showing off her eating skills for her guests I suppose.
I made the 'one' banner from scrapbook paper, letter stickers, and twine, sadly it didn't last beyond appetizers because somebody enjoyed kicking it. And, Chris picked up the balloons the morning of the party, which were a big hit with Aria.
And, of course the bit you've all been waiting for =) Or, maybe that is just my feeling on the subject. The smash cake!
And, her completely entertained audience. Aria had no reservations whatsoever about diving into her cake, and she ate more than I could have managed, especially in the frosting department. I ended up taking it away because I was afraid she would make herself sick. Although, she didn't even turn into a devil sugar baby, so it was all around a success.
I'd say that is a good stopping point. Next up includes Florida snow and presents!
facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

15 comments:

  1. I love everything about this! It's SO creative and you thought of every little detail. The smash cake was beautiful--how awesome that she liked it!! You did an amazing job, mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to think of everything and keep it simple at the same time, I'm not sure I succeeded because I was going crazy the week leading up doing all the things. I also didn't decorate the cake or cupcakes until the guests were walking in the door - it was a rush job! It was awesome, and I'm so glad it is over now =)

      Delete
  2. I love this theme! You did such a good job with everything and the cake is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The theme is beyond perfect... And I'll take a cupcake (or three). Such a perfect first birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent all the cupcakes home with guests and my husband's work, saving just one for myself. I ate enough batter for a couple cupcakes though, it was the best batter I've ever tasted! Truly, I contemplated tossing some in with ice cream before I added in the eggs. Batter is always better than the baked results in my opinion =)
      Thanks, I think she had a great time being the center of attention!

      Delete
  4. So adorable! The cake pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I give the recipe two thumbs up =)

      Delete
  5. So cute and those cake pictures ...A-DOR-ABLE !! Looks like a fun 1st bday :)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a success! The birthday girl seemed to have a blast, the guests seemed to have a good time, and I wasn't running around like a nut.

      Delete
  6. Such a fun theme! LOVE the hot coco bar.
    And, those smash cake pics - PRICELESS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hot cocoa bar was the first thing I decided on! I just wish I had one of those pour spout type drink dispensers to make it easier...maybe if I do it again sometime =)
      The smash cake was the best part of the party hands down, she just went nuts and it was hilarious to watch!

      Delete
  7. What a great party!! Aria's cake was adorable, love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be tired, I read flowers and was at a complete loss. I was like, flowers? I don't think we had flowers...then it hit me - flowers on the cake, gotcha! Haha, thanks!! We had a blast!

      Delete
  8. Cute cake! Man she really dug in! What a cutie! SO LITTLE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.