Thursday, October 31, 2013

Countdown to Halloween - 31 Days of Fall Fun Recap #5

Happy Halloween, guys! Today is the last Countdown to Halloween recap. So, this is the last Thursday to link up anything festive and fun you've done over the entire course of October. The link up will be open 3 days so feel free to add your link up whenever works best. Check out this post for more details, and be sure to look back at link ups #1, #2, #3, and #4. Grab a button, link up below, and have fun!
Sweet Turtle Soup
Day 24: The day our cool front hit!
We woke up to a nice chill in the air, so Aria and I enjoyed the fall weather with the dogs on the back porch.
I was inspired by the cooler temperature to make homemade cinnamon rolls (this recipe). They were scrumptious, but I prefer this recipe. I wanted to try the 1 hour recipe because I thought it would be easier to do while entertaining a baby, but it turned out to be more difficult. Instead of spreading out the dough making, the kneading, the rising, etc it was a solid hour+ of work. So, I was running around trying to both keep Aria alive and bake.
Aria helped me make up trick or treat bags. Mostly she tried to feed snickers bars to Baxter though. But, occasionally she would hand me a piece of candy so I could fill up the bags.
For dinner I made chicken and dumplings that weren't even worth a picture. It was more like onion and chicken broth soup with some dumplings. I prefer chicken and dumplings to be thick and creamy with lots of dumplings. So, I'm still on the hunt for a good recipe. If anybody has one send it my way!

Day 25:
I watched all the Christmas things on QVC and ran around shouting 2 months until Christmas all morning. I even got Aria to squeal with me, while chowing down on cinnamon rolls.

That evening Chris and I had a Star Wars themed costume Birthday party to attend for Aria's godfather, Kiel. I'd already decided on my slacker cat costume for Halloween so that was as good as it got for me. Chris, however, rush ordered an x-wing fighter pilot costume, turned a bottle of Jack into Yoda, and made homemade lightsabers. Somebody was overly ambitious I guess.
Day 26:
Another glorious morning on the back porch. Aria stopped to smell the lone leaf that wafted down.
After naptime we went trick or treating in our downtown area with Silvana, Randy, and Rory (who outgrew her costume already), and Kiel. As soon as I got Aria in her dragon costume I died from cuteness overload. I thought she might make a fuss, but she took it all in stride. And, then of course I realized she couldn't wear it in the car...genius. Too bad that cool front didn't have any more oomph to it, it was pretty toasty walking around.
After a loop through downtown we hit up our favourite Irish pub for a late lunch. What did Obi Wan say to Luke when he tried to eat bantha pie with a spoon? "Use the fork, Luke" snicker*
Day 27:
My grandma's birthday is on the 29th, but since Chris has Sundays off we celebrated early. We went out to Mimi's for breakfast. I got the pumpkin pancakes, which were yumm-o especially with the apples on top.
Then we hit up a book store, and while grandma picked out a birthday book, Aria found a piece of gum on the floor (lovely) and picked out a new board book. This one is A Pumpkin Prayer by Amy Parker, which doesn't quite flow with a Florida fall but I love it anyway.
Aria gave great-grandma her present, a photo book full of pictures of just the two of them, which grandma adored.
And, then we went trunk or treating at my mom's church, which ended up being the biggest thing ever with a shit ton of people. Aria dressed up as a dragon again, but got a little overheated and fussy towards the end so we called it a day. We went home, cooled off, and downed a bunch of water before bed.
Day 28:
We actually had more planned for grandma's birthday Sunday, but we ended up running out of time. So, we pushed fondue off until Monday. Aria's first fondue - not a home run, but not a disaster either. It is a slow meal, so she got impatient. That mother of her's probably should have made a separate dinner for her, or fondue-ed her up some grub before getting her to the table.
After Aria was rice free and tucked in her crib we had our chocolate dessert fondue with bananas, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, and angel food cake. And, I am rocking my orange scarf from Ashley.
Day 29:
I finally got around to getting some decorations up on the outside of the house. I dragged the pack and play out and plopped Aria in it with some entertainment, and hooked up a dog to the post so I could weave a spider web. I saw the idea somewhere and I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I love it. You can see it really well with the house lit from the inside at night - way better than the spider fluff you get in a bag that I suck at getting to look right. Aria let me work for about 45 minutes, which was awesome but I didn't quite finish so during her nap I finished things up. Of course, I completely forgot to get a picture so I will add those later.
Day 30:
I saw that Little Baby Garvin had biscuits and grave-y for breakfast, and I could not resist. For one, I love biscuits and gravy. For two, it was just a cute idea. I used this recipe for the biscuits and the gravy I just do by look. Oh, I also cut the biscuits with my pumpkin cookie cuter, but you could barely tell - it just had a little nub at the top. I knew though, and that made it all the more festive in my book.
We took a trip out to dunkin donuts for Halloween donuts. I got Boston Scream and Vanilla Cream, it might have been scream as well but I couldn't read the label from where I was standing (also I am blind - not literally, I just need glasses). Chris said I should have gotten one of each of the Halloween decorated donuts, but seeing as I am the only one in the house that will eat a donut I didn't think it was a good idea.
We were going to carve our pumpkin before dinner, but all of the carving kit designs were terrible. Complete crap. They were boring, ugly, or stupid - stomps foot. So, I spent probably an hour online trying to find something suitable before stumbling across the Cheshire Cat and falling in love. Needless to say after finding a design we didn't have time to actually carve it out, and we wanted to have Aria around. It did get gutted though. Aria was very unsure of the goop inside, she touched it once and decided that was all she cared for. I'll add in a picture after we carve it up today. I hope it turns out like I hope! The Cheshire Cat is my favourite.
Chris and I finished up decorating the front porch after Aria went down for the night, but it was too dark for pictures. So along with a carved pumpkin I will take some daylight front porch pictures to add in later in the day!

Hm, now that I think about it, I'll just post day 31 all on its own tomorrow. Yup, I will.

Day 31:
Coming soon!

I want to thank everybody that linked up with me this month. My first link up, it was kind of scary, but I am glad I decided to go for it. I've gotten a lot of great ideas for next October - hopefully I will remember them a year from now. I feel like Aria and I squeezed every ounce of fun out of October, and I am now ready for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Bring on the Macy's Parade, Christmas cookies, and shopping!

Now, it is your turn to link up your Countdown to Halloween fun! I'd love to know your plans for Halloween, and let me know if you enjoyed this link up as much as I have. Happy Halloween everybody. It's just a bunch of hocus pocus!

facebook pinterest bloglovin Image Map

6 comments:

  1. LOVE her dragon costume, so cute!! We're heading out tonight to do a little trunk-or-treating. Looking forward to showing off our little "cow"!

    You are definitely rocking that scarf! So glad you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! A cow, I love it. Trunk or treating is serious stuff, my arms and upper back were killing me by the end. ooph. Hope you have a haunting good time.

      Delete
  2. dragon costume perfect :) and glad to see u found theme cat purse to complete you cute and comfy costume! you guys are amZing with actives for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Callie the whole time I had it too! It was purrfect.

      I love the dragon, and we didn't see any other dragons! I did however see several cats ha. I guess I will have to try harder next year.

      Delete
  3. 1. I LOVE the costumes--all of them! So cute!
    2. I almost licked my screen when I saw the cinnamon rolls and the biscuits and gravy...seriously!
    3. You made ME tear up over the book for grammie! SO adorable!

    What an amazing family! Thank you so much for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, cinnamon rolls are one of my favourite breakfast treats. They are already all gone. Aria and I split one almost every morning. It is a good thing she doesn't notice how unequally the sharing is. =)

      Gma went nuts for it and toted it around for two days to show everybody. I can't wait to make one for Christmas now too. Good thing shutterfly is easy to work with.

      Thank you, thank you!! Happy Halloween!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.