Friday, September 27, 2013

Historical-ness: First Summer Back in Florida

If you missed any of the previous 'Historical-ness' posts, click here for 1: How We Met, 2: The First Three Years, 3: Baxter, 4: Lizzy, and 5: Life in Colorado

We pick up today with the summer of 2010 - the summer we left Colorado to move back to Florida.

The Move:
When we drove to Colorado from Florida we took I-95 N as far as we could and then turned westward ending on I-70 for about 800 miles - big, heavily driven normal roads. For some reason I wanted to go a different way back to Florida. So, we went south to Texas then east on whatever road takes you through Louisiana, Alabama, and into Florida. It was that Texas part, however, that was terrible. We took slightly better than dirt roads through back country bits of Texas with no gas stations, and a lovely little rest stop (pictured above) with a hole in the ground, some walls, and no sink. Thank God there was toilet paper. Not only did we fear for our lives and gas tank, but it was flooding in Texas. Roads closed, standing water on the alternate routes, torrential can't see out the window down pouring type flooding. Plus, we got a ticket when it finally wasn't pouring. So, if I ever say hey let's go a new, fun, different way just tell me no.
Texas roads flooding
We made it home in one piece though. I can't remember how long it took, but Chris refused to stop and sleep. He drove the entire way back to Florida in one go - some sort of man challenge I guess. He couldn't sit in the passenger seat because the car was packed so full it had to be slid almost all the way up, so I couldn't take over the driving. The cat was mad at the world and hid on my lap the whole time. He needed a two day calming down period in a closet when we got to the house, and probably half an hour with in his litter box because he refused to use it the entire trip. The dogs were pretty chill about the whole thing, but definitely bored. I sat cross legged the whole time, so I was glad to finally unbend myself. And, I know Chris was ready to sleep for a few days.

St. Augustine:

One of the first things we did was drag a few friends along on a trip to St. Augustine. St. Augustine is one of my favourite places, I'm a sucker for all things old.
The Fort at St. Augustine, Florida
We visited the fort - aka Castillo de San Marcos, where they fired a canon and pirates attacked.

The Red Train at St. Augustine, Florida
We rode the trolley.

We went to a wine tasting at San Sebastian, and picked up a few bottles that we had to carry around the rest of the day.

The Oldest House Museum at St. Augustine, Florida
We poked around a few historic houses.

Ripley's Museum at St. Augustine, Florida
And, we did Ripley's Museum.

Misc:

Baxter and Lizzy hung out with their old friend, the family weenie - aka Buster.

And, Loki took full advantage of being able to lay in windows. (He wasn't allowed to at our apartment in Colorado because we weren't allowed to have a cat - we're such rebels.)

 Next up is for the 'Historical-ness' series is Loki! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you left CO for FL! We've been here 4 years and I just can't imagine trading the sunshine and NO humidity and mountains for all that Florida humidity! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst is no seasons. We moved back to be closer to family and friends. Definitely a trade off. Now if I could just convince them to all move with me someplace cooler with seasons it would be money! My favourite thing about Florida is being near Disney though. I am a Disney nut!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.