Monday, September 16, 2013

Favourite Toys: The Free Edition

There are so many toys for babies and toddlers and kids. Oy. It is seriously overwhelming. Will she like this one? Will this one help her in some developmental way? How long will it last? Is it worth the money? etc. Turns out babies are like cats. They like boxes, and all sorts of random things lying around the house. So, get whichever baby toys you deem appropriate because let's face it it is just about as much fun as shopping for tiny clothes, but don't throw away the shipping boxes they come in.
Aria enjoys the following list of stuff just as much as she likes her actual toys (click here to check out our baby gear tab to see Aria's favourites) if not more so than some. And, I am pretty sure her want of paper (and Baxter) is the reason she started crawling.
Empty containers: oatmeal canisters, amazon boxes, pampers wipes, the box the apple rattle came in, crystal lite tubes, cereal, the Aveno bottle, etc. 
Aria loves to drum on upturned amazon boxes and the pampers wipes box. Add beans and glue the lid on and you have a fun shake toy from an oatmeal canister. Aria gets annoyed when I take away her empty Aveno bottle at the end of bath time. I have big boxes that various baby paraphernalia came in stored in the shed to give to Aria for Christmas. Basically never throw anything away every again and your kid will probably love it.

Paper: magazines, pamphlets, mail, etc. 
You can't keep Aria out of the magazine rack. It is so friggin cute when she tries to rip apart something thick and can't. Who needs a shredder when Aria is on the job? I do have to actively watch her so she doesn't eat any of the paper though, but she is happy enough just destroying it.

Kitchen wares: pots with lids, wooden spoons, place mats, oven mitts, etc. 
I can give Aria a wooden spoon and a pot lid and she is golden until she spots the dogs' water bowls in the corner. When she is bored of that she has a blast pulling out all of the place mats and oven mitts in the cabinet below our convection oven.

Electronics: phones, old keyboards, a wireless mouse, calculators, etc. 
I usually dress Aria on my lap and when I lay her back on my legs I hand her my wireless mouse to play with. Aria found the old home phone in the closet one day and she likes to press the buttons. I use to play on an old calculator that had a roll of paper connected to it when I was a little girl. She would definitely break my laptop if I gave her half a chance. And, what kid doesn't love stealing mom's cell phone?

Misc. Bits & Bobs: baby balm lid, floor mat edges, purses, DVDs, tags on anything, etc. 
Every time I swipe butt balm on Aria I hand her the lid to play with. She goes nuts for purses - that's my girl, so I gave her my old coach purse to play with. She likes the clasp. I don't think a day goes by that she doesn't take out all the DVDs on the lower shelf. Plus, if I put a DVD in the player she steals the case immediately. And, one of her all time favourite things to do is peel off the edges on the rubber floor mats. I put them back on nightly so she can take them off again the next day.



 Linking up with The Girl in the Red Shoes today - I know there will be some excellent toy suggestions in this link up!

12 comments:

  1. Great list!!!! I was just talking to my parents about Christmas this year, and I said, "Remember that he will like the box just as much, if not more, than the toy inside!!" Haha...our favorite distraction while we're cooking is our big bin of tupperware! He loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tupperware! Great idea. Never thought of it. And, boxes are the best. I think they let imagination shine too. I loved playing with our Christmas tree box as a kid. Just as much fun as the rest of Christmas.

      Delete
  2. So true about "free" stuff! Great idea to bust out an "real" phone! I wonder if our kids will ever even use those when they're older? Magazines are a big hit here too - Callie has even taken to coloring in them lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a land line in my adult life. The only reason we had an old phone is because it was my grandma's. It is easier to have a cell phone these days, I bet Aria won't ever have a land line. I wonder if they will disappear in a generation. A coloring book magazine - great to use in a pinch! Kids sure don't mind reusing things.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, this made me laugh! Abbie loves her some paper and boxes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a laugh from it! Paper and boxes are top notch toys!

      Delete
  4. I totally thought about making a post like this because it's SO true! We totally don't need to buy any toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many non-toy things that she plays with we could probably get away with not buying any actual toys. But, man some of them are just so creative and cute it is hard to pass up.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to see what your babe will be up to in a few months? Definitely helps with the Christmas list making too!

      Delete
  6. Love these, so smart! :)

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.con

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.