Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Countdown to Halloween - 31 Days of Fall Fun

The holiday 'season' is my favourite season. Hands down. From the first day of Autumn to the beginning of the new year I am in heaven.
Aria pushing the stool in fall
Decorating has to be one of my top ten favourite things to do. I love creating a space that makes me happy. I smile every time I see the wreath on the front door. It is a little more difficult to make and put up the decorations this year because of Aria, but it is 100% worth the effort. I also love to cook yummy fall foods and bake themed goodies, and especially share them. I'm nutty for traditions, and the change to (slightly) cooler weather, and the magic of each holiday. There is so much to love about this time of year.

Now that I have Aria I'm even more into creating a festive atmosphere for her. She is definitely too little to understand right now, but I still love going the extra mile just because it makes things a little more fun. So, with that in mind I decided to have a countdown to Halloween. And, I wanted to invite you to share in it with us!

Every Thursday in October I will host a Countdown to Halloween recap link up.

The rules:
1. Write a post on anything you've done to make each day in October a little (or a lot) whimsical for you and/or your family. Or, any day in October. Some days managing to brush your teeth is the high point, so it doesn't matter if it happens to be one day or all the days. It can be anything fall related or Halloween related - making apple cinnamon pancakes, or bat shaped waffles, or buying/making a costume, or decorating, or apple picking, or crafting, etc.

2. Grab a button and link up on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, and/or 31st. Feel free to link up on as many or as few days as you want, and each link up will remain open a few days so you can hop on board at your convenience.

Sweet Turtle Soup


And, that is all there is to it.

Need any inspiration?

There are so many ways you can make each day spook-tastic, from something simple to something elaborate. Go to the pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect gourd - make it quirky and have everybody wear cat ears, remember to take a picture. Bam, you've made that day fun. Take the pumpkin seeds and roast them for a snack. Instead of buying pumpkin puree, make your own. Then make pumpkin cheesecake, or pumpkin spice chocolate chunk muffins, and surprise Aunt Susan (insert your own relative, friend, or neighbor here) with them. Or, carve jack-o-lanterns. Or, paint them. You can take one activity, like all things pumpkin, and spread it out over several days.

Little Baby Garvin has taught me that you can take a meal and elevate it to awesome with a cookie cutter. You know what Aria and I had on the first morning of fall? Leaf shaped toast. You know how much effort it took? 23 seconds worth, and less if I hadn't knocked over the drying racks.

Go to the library and find a book on Halloween or fall and read it together. Get a whole bunch and read one each day. Here is a list of 50 Children's books for the fall.

Hop on pinterest and type in fall activities. You now have approximately 30 billion ideas. Type in fall food, or fall goodies and prepare to drool.

Do a google search for 31 days of Halloween activities for kids, or countdown to Halloween with kids and there are tons of links. A few of the ones I found that have inspired me are: the spooky vegan, NoBiggie, and Dixie Delights.

You can DIY or purchase an advent type countdown system, and designate something specific to do or make each day. But, I know that things get too crazy around here for me to do something so regimented. I have a list of all sorts of things that would be fun, and then I will pick what is done based on the day (and Aria's mood). Organized chaos if you will.

The one thing you don't have to be is supermom to pull off a Countdown to Halloween. Just be a little creative (or know how to use google), and think outside the box. Make a day out of things you normally do - like cooking a new recipe for dinner. Or, try to think of a way to tweak it and turn it into something new and festive - like the cookie cutter idea. Things don't have to be complicated, time-consuming, or pricy to be fun.

I hope to see what everybody comes up with, so mark your calendars! If you have any questions, concerns, or comments as always please send me an email or leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. So much fun! If I can get my act together I will definitely link up!!! I agree from Fall to the New Year is just magical, and even more so with a little one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would just about make my month if you did =)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE fall and well the whole holiday season from now until New Years too! I know I won't do something every day -- it just won't happen here. BUT I totally can think of at least 5 fun things to do and can write 5 blog posts :) Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is the best. I mean it would totally be better if Florida HAD a fall, but I still love it even here! I can't wait to see what you come up with for some fall fun! Happy to have you!

      Delete
  3. I am so excited about your link up! I plan to join in.
    And I'm your newest follower! Welcome to the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be pleased as punch to have you join the link up! Thanks for following =)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.