Saturday, May 11, 2013

Historical-ness: How We Met

Way back when in 2003, I was preparing for my junior prom. It had a black and white dress code. So, a couple friends and I decided to go up to Georgia to dress shop. I think we were operating under the principle that we would find more unique black and white dresses farther away from home. We wanted to go to Savannah and stumble upon cute little boutique shops. It didn't really work out that way. None of us found a dress and we were a little clueless as to where to find cute little boutique shops. But, we had a lot of fun being tourists nonetheless.

I found my white dress at a run of the mill mall in Jacksonville as a last ditch effort on the way back home. And, my memory is so good that I can't remember if anybody else even got a dress. Sil, Anne - fill me in? I loved my white dress though, and nobody else showed up in the same one. So, mission accomplished. I still have it too, somewhere.

I had my dress ready to go, and a hair appointment, but no date.

My friend, Jessie, had a crush on her brother's roommate - who were attending a local college. She proposed the idea of getting a group of our friends together to host a group of her brother's friends to prom. And, we would all meet up at her parents' house beforehand for a delicious dinner made by her dad. I don't remember what it was...curry? maybe...but I do remember it being good. There were 10 of us altogether. And, I don't think any of the guys knew they didn't have specific dates, but each girl purchased a ticket for a specific guy so we were sort of paired off anyways. So, the guys thought they were paired off but didn't know with whom, and the girls knew who they bought a ticket for but didn't really want to be paired. It was a little confusing. I think I bought Jessie's brother's ticket. In the end, it didn't matter at all.

Chris was friend's with Jessie's brother's roommate...or possibly even with Jessie's brother's roommate's friend. Either way, he was part of the group. I knew the other four guys and had spent time randomly with them, but Chris was the unknown. I thought he was cute when he arrived at the house. But, we sat at opposite ends of the table for dinner. However, after dinner we ended up in the same vehicle heading for the prom. There was some sort of child's toy in the backseat that we ended up fiddling around with and chit-chatting. He told me he played football in high school, I told him I loved him. Completely normal.

At some point during the evening, I pulled Chris out onto the dance floor and we ended up dancing the rest of the night together. At the end of prom, as we were walking out to the vehicle, he kissed me. And, we continued kissing the rest of the night. I even got a bruised lip when there was a sudden stop driving to the dorms. We also got some mardi gras beads for our efforts. I gave him my number, and he called me the next day. We've been together ever since.

(I would include pictures, but I don't have a single one. It was pre-digital camera times, and any pictures that were taken aren't in my possession. If you would like to use your imagination...I was in a white fitted strapless dress with a lace overlay and my hair was up, Chris was in some sort of suit and had blonde highlights...snort. Not as fun as pictures, huh?)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I had to click on this off your other post because I realized I didn't know how you met! You guys are too cute! I love you's and kissing on the first date and together ever since. You were meant to be! It's a good thing Jessie's uncle's brother's roommate's friend (or something?) was involved! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them oh so much. I respond via email so please be sure to have your email linked. If not check back for responses via the thread.